LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

buying an LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 03:48 AM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying an LS

Hey guys, I was thinking about trading in my 97 ES and financing a 98-00 LS. I found a beautiful 00 Platinum Edition in the color combination I want (black on black). It's in my price range, but it would take me a little while to pay it off. The only reason for concern is that it has 148K miles on it. Now I've heard all the wonderful stories about these cars lasting 400K plus when maintained, but how do i know I'm not going to be stuck with a big expensive car for the next couple years that's in the shop constantly while i try to pay it off? I'm a college student with a decent job that's been helping me build my project car (91 240SX), and I was looking for a daily driver with a little more prestige and potential than my ES. I'm also curious about the other costs of driving the LS vs. my ES. I usually get about 23mpg out of my car with my usual driving. If this car is the typical reliable LS, i could finance it and have some money to still toy with my 240SX, but if unexpected costs come up, I don't want to have to sell one of my cars to keep my head above water so to speak.

The SC's are also pretty appealing and if they are any more or less reliable I'd love to find out about it. I prefer coupes since I don't really have any need for a big body sedan with my current lifestyle, but there have been plenty of occasions where having a sedan has been handy.

I'd appreciate any input, and I hope to hang around your forums as long as I can (and hopefully in more than just the ES section).
Old 12-05-07, 09:18 AM
Sanpete
Rookie

Check the maintenance records--has the car been well maintained? You might want to have a Toyota/Lexus mechanic check it out for you--would cost you $50-100. If the service has been done on time, it will need a new timing belt/water pump at 180K, which is typically about $1K. (Same as your ES, I think.)

Your ES will probably get better mileage in town, but the LS will likely do better on the highway.

If you browse through the old threads here you'll find all kinds of interesting info that you might find helpful. Good luck.
Old 12-05-07, 09:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

what's you idea of a "good price"?

and yes, maint. records are EVERYTHING, especially since the timing belt was due at 90k mi (most likely done, but double check), and will be due again at 180k mi.
Old 12-05-07, 10:15 AM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

I've been browsing through all of the threads i could find on this forum, especially those applying to the 98-00 LS and I've been learning quite a bit. Are there any other sites that might have some more information? and the gas mileage thing works out perfectly because most of my driving is the 20 mile commute to school.

My idea of a good price depends on the condition of the car and what options are on the car. I'm not sure exactly what all comes with the platinum package ones, but i do like that they are solid black and not two tone. If I found the perfect LS, the most I can spend at the moment is $15K because any more than that, and the 240SX needs to go, which isn't an option because I have just put a lot of money into it and I want to have some fun with it before it leaves. Plus there's a couple more things I would like to do to it first. Here are a couple I've been eying:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...uperSpotlight=
http://houston.craigslist.org/car/460020293.html

The first one is the one with the high mileage, and the reason for my original post.

The second one is at the upper limits of what I can spend, but I'm willing to pay it if it's really worth the price difference.

The third one is nice and seems to be at a fair price, but it doesn't have the black interior I want.

The fourth one is again at a great price point, but the higher mileage scares me.

And the last one looks like a great car, being a platinum edition and black on black, but the price and the mileage don't match up to me.

Are these higher mileage LS400's really worth that much even with the mileage that's on them? And using your personal experiences, do you think it's more cost effective to shell out more cash for a lower mileage one to increase the chances of getting a well maintained car, or do most of the higher mileage cars do just as well?

I'm thinking that since these are pricey luxury cars, most owners have the money it takes to maintain them and had relatively conservative driving styles, with a handful of cars being the exception.

Last edited by Eyemfaster; 12-05-07 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-05-07, 10:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

id say no more than 12 for the first car, assuming that there is a full maint. history to go with it. Plat. series cars are rare-ish as it is and ANY Blk/Blk LS (from a dealer) will have an approx. $1,000 markup since they are most wanted in the market.

2nd car is overpriced but in line with mileage for the price.

3rd is slightly high but not too bad, check records.
Old 12-05-07, 10:51 AM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, the first one is still my favorite at the moment. The condition of the leather and the lack of navigation don't really bother me because I have upholstery and car audio hookups.
Old 12-05-07, 11:54 AM
Sanpete
Rookie

When I was looking, I discounted dealer offerings heavily because dealers generally charge more for the same cars, and they know little or nothing about their history. In addition to the two sources you've obviously checked, try autoextra.com and cars.com, if you haven't yet. And eBay. If you're not in a big hurry, you'll probably be able to find a good car with good records for a good price.

If you buy a Lexus before it's hit 90K, you'll have to spend a thousand or so for the timing belt and water pump when it hits 90K. And since you pay more for the lower mileage up front, I think it's not such a great deal all around.

Don't assume that these cars have been well maintained. That's often not so, especially after the warranty has expired (the warranty requires maintenance), the car has been passed to a second owner, etc.
Old 12-05-07, 12:11 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

First off, I think its a wise car to buy. Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc, rate it as one of the most reliable ever (but you probably know that).

I ended up buying a 99 LS blk/blk for 11k (118k on it), but it took me months to find then a 5 hour drive to see. Best car i've ever owned or pretty much been in. It was worth it to hold out for the year and color combo, and in my range.
Old 12-05-07, 03:39 PM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blavatsky
First off, I think its a wise car to buy. Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc, rate it as one of the most reliable ever (but you probably know that).
and I do

Originally Posted by Blavatsky
I ended up buying a 99 LS blk/blk for 11k (118k on it), but it took me months to find then a 5 hour drive to see. Best car i've ever owned or pretty much been in. It was worth it to hold out for the year and color combo, and in my range.
That's exactly the kind of car I'm looking for! want to trade for an ES? I'll even drive up there! JK.
Old 12-05-07, 04:11 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy the 2nd one.
Old 12-05-07, 05:40 PM
docdgt@com
Rookie

You are doing the correct thing by looking at 98's and above; before I found this forum, I bought a '97 with 80k + miles, but would have waited had I known more. I might add that I found that using regular 97 octane gasoline seems to make absolutely no difference in mileage; since I never push the car I can't tell if performance is hurt or not, but I don't think so. In general, 25-28 mpg on highway and less, of course, in town driving.

Good luck with your purchase, whatever it is; I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 12-05-07, 05:57 PM
Eyemfaster
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I love the improvements they made in the 98's. The ones prior are nice too, but if I'm going to sell my ES, it better be a 98+.
Old 12-06-07, 05:26 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if i had the money, i would buy a 98-00. my favorite body LS of all. i've worked on these for years, you will not be disappointed.
Old 12-08-07, 12:48 AM
Spacepig
Rookie

I'll second the '98+ recommendation. I was looking at lower mileage 94-97s, but got convinced both from this site and from talking to people that it was worth stretching, and being willing to accept higher mileage. A little less than a month ago I bought a '98 with 122k on it. I love it. Very well maintained, and it drives, looks and even smells as new. It is tighter, quieter and smoother than a '94 I was considering that only had 60k on it. I'd advise driving several to get a sense of how they are supposed to feel. Mileage can be a helpful indicator of condition, but that is all. I turned down a 98 at the same price with 94k on it. It was a nice car, but no better condition than the one I wound up with, and it had not yet had the 90k service w/ timing belt/water pump.