LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Airbox mod Debate and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 04:35 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Airbox mod Debate and questions.

This is what i did, I turned the airbox where the filter sits so that the cold air tubing doesnt seal with the filter box, so there is a gap in between. The sound difference is amazing. I love how this motor sounds. MPG went down big time cause I cannt stay out of it.
I I like this because I am still getting the cool air its just not shoved into the box.
Now if I remove the box completely and keep the filter planted in there, wount it be open to water, when it rains? I wild hate to get water into this motor.
BMW 540i had this problem when going through a pudle, air intake tube was too low to the ground.
I dont want to expose the filter to water.
And taking the cold air tube going to the filter will expose the opening in the air box.

Whats do you guys think.
Now I worked at ta shop building race mustangs when I was a teeneger, I used to race Lincolns so I know my cars pretty good.
Old 10-29-07, 04:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

first of all i dont see what there is to debate.

second, what im reading is that you tilted the intake so that there is basically a hole in it, so air can rush in UNFILTERED...?
Old 10-29-07, 05:17 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll have to throw the red flag on this one...

You work on engines, so you should know that you need the filter to be completely sealed...

There should be no reason for a BMW 540I to have an intake sitting low on the ground...that's a very stupid idea

Ford has nothing in common with a Toyota engine...Period.
Old 10-29-07, 05:20 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

love the sound made by the open intake but it gets boring after a while. need to get the new exhaust up.
Old 10-29-07, 05:27 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Filter is still in its place, so is the box that seals it, I am talking about the tube that goes from the front of the motor to the air box itself, the roud peace, the seal between those peaces is now not sealed. Not fully.
AS for the BMW, I remember a few cases where owners ruined motors due to the fal in the intake design letting water into the filter.
Fords or not, It doesnt matter, I can take this motor apart to inspect piston rings and then put it back together in one day, thats all I meant. So I am not new to modding cars.
Just wondering what others went throgh with this motor.
Old 10-29-07, 05:34 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Filter is still in its place, so is the box that seals it, I am talking about the tube that goes from the front of the motor to the air box itself, the roud peace, the seal between those peaces is now not sealed. Not fully.
AS for the BMW, I remember a few cases where owners ruined motors due to the fal in the intake design letting water into the filter.
Fords or not, It doesnt matter, I can take this motor apart to inspect piston rings and then put it back together in one day, thats all I meant. So I am not new to modding cars.
Just wondering what others went throgh with this motor.
Now I see what you mean.

Well heres a slight problem with the sealing. The filter would be loose, making it abel to intake little bits of dust through the cracks. What I did was, I put a rubber door strip around the filter, and left it open, without the round cover. When I clamp the filter down, the door strip gives the filter more area and a rubber seal...so the filter wont move at all when the clamp is down.
Old 10-29-07, 05:48 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

it will also melt the rubber door strip and make it sticky when u try to remove it! pita to remove especially with the stickiness around it. thats why i just made some cardboard tabs to hold it and hid them under the filter where u cant see it when ur looking down on it.
Old 10-29-07, 06:07 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
it will also melt the rubber door strip and make it sticky when u try to remove it! pita to remove especially with the stickiness around it. thats why i just made some cardboard tabs to hold it and hid them under the filter where u cant see it when ur looking down on it.
Old 10-29-07, 06:12 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Well...I use OEM filters, so I dont need to remove it =)
Old 10-29-07, 08:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

mine never got sticky
Old 10-29-07, 08:34 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

well when u remove it, it'll get sticky from the plastic that melted due to the engine heat.
Old 10-30-07, 09:45 AM
ewenpg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did this mod I took off the cover that covers the filter (I have a K&N) and left the air duct that runs from under the hood center to the filter intake. Premise being that it would still get cold air pushed form the front of the car but also have the freedom of sucking air that isn't hindered by the lengthy and twisted air duct. This seemed to work well for quick take offs and sounded good but I found after trying both methods (filter cover on & off), that having the filter cover on gave a better more consistent power drive over the full RPM spectrum. Hence I leave the filter cover on now.
When I did have the cover off, I used the door trimming and I think the reason it gets sticky is some door trims have a glue inside the fold.