LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just purchased a 1990 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 06:09 PM
Nataphen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a 1990 LS400

This is my first post here, and I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions.

My name is Nathan, I live in Tyler, TX, and I'm going to pick up my LS400 on Monday from a former boss/good friend of mine. I'd like to say hello to everyone, and I'm sure that I'll learn a lot here. I was looking for a good sized car (not an SUV fan) that's reliable and wasn't going to kill my budget. I'm about to get married this Spring, hence the need to watch the budget, and my fiance has two children, hence the need for a family car!

I have always believed in subscribing to forums to learn about the cars that I've owned, or even that I was just considering to buy, and I thank anyone here in advance for any information that I learn here. Being informed helps solve SO many problems, before they even start at times.

I instantly loved the car, very smooth ride, great build quality, and all servicing records. It's got the be in the best shape of any 17 year old car that I've seen. The only questions that I have thus far are:

#1. Are there any preventive maintenance tips or "must have" mods to help this car last as long as possible?
#2. Is there any relatively simple way to narrow the gap between the early 249hp motor and the later 290hp motor?

Again, glad to be here and thanks in advance for any help!

Nate
Old 10-21-07, 07:22 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome to ClubLexus and nice to have another LS member.
1. just keep doing the regular tune ups, like oil change and stuff. also has the timing belt been changed?
2. and about the 250 and 290? basically just more horsepower, faster 0-60, pickup is better, and gas mileage lol.
www.lexls.com is a great website for DIY tutorials on the 1st gen LS400's.
Old 10-21-07, 07:57 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. As LiCelsior said, just make sure everything in your Lexus manual has been done at regular intervals, and do what's remaining. Flushing all the fluids would be nice too.

2. The #1 thing you should do to free up some performance is the airbox mod. Basically, these cars came with very restrictive airbox designs, so there are a couple modifications you can do for free or very cheap to get better performance, sound, and gas mileage out of your engine.

Other than that, there aren't any other cost-effective measures to noticably increase performance. Just be happy with what you have, and try not to be lead-footed or you will absolutely kill your gas mileage.

Cheers!
Old 10-21-07, 09:11 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Save up some $$ for front suspension rebuild--very straightforward, but parts ain't cheap. Lower Ball joint, strut rod cushion, and possibly UCA.
Old 10-22-07, 10:02 AM
Nataphen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much. I'm not wanting a lot of power out of THIS car, I was just wondering if there were any easy mods to give it a little extra hp/tq. Never hurts to have a little extra power on tap . I'll check into the air box mods for sure. All of the maintenance is up to date as far as I know, but I'll check the fluids, service the trans, flush the coolant system, and give the suspension a thorough going over. I love the car, and I think that it will be a great one for my family. I appreciate the help and I'm happy to be here.
Old 10-22-07, 11:12 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to CL. This is a great site with useful information. I check here before I buy or mod anything to save time and money. As far as your car goes, check your manual for fluids to be sure you use the right ones for the tranny, radiator, etc. since Toyota has specific ones they recommend.

As many said above, the airbox mod is an interesting upgrade - I did mine and I like the sound difference. Congrats to you on your up and coming wedding - great car to carry the family around in.
Old 10-23-07, 08:42 AM
Nataphen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steveski
Welcome to CL. This is a great site with useful information. I check here before I buy or mod anything to save time and money. As far as your car goes, check your manual for fluids to be sure you use the right ones for the tranny, radiator, etc. since Toyota has specific ones they recommend.

As many said above, the airbox mod is an interesting upgrade - I did mine and I like the sound difference. Congrats to you on your up and coming wedding - great car to carry the family around in.
Thank you very much. I'm excited about getting married and settling down with someone. I feel like I'm at a point in my life that I would never be a year or two ago. I appreciate everything guys, I'm going to check the car out really well this Saturday. If there's anything else that you can think of, just let me know.
Old 10-24-07, 11:13 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

congrats you have just bought the worlds best car, I have a 91 lexus and as a salesman I drive it about 2-3000 miles per month and never a problem. Just make sure to change the transmission fluid engine oil radaitor fluid the power steering fluid and rear end fluid. The 90-94 lexus is considered by the lexus repair staff a some of the best cars ever built to date. I have seen 90-95 lexus with 670,000 miles down to 300,000 miles going strong with the same engine and transmission. Ok BMW and Mercedes let's see you do that.
Old 10-25-07, 04:45 PM
Nataphen
Driver School Candidate

I'm making an appointment next week to get the transmission serviced, I'll probably do the rear end on my own this weekend or next. The coolant is less than a year from it's last flush and the PS pump needs to be replaced (just barely leaking, didn't notice before) or repaired, so that will be serviced at that time. The car has 82K miles on it and was a one owner car, so I think that I've made a good purchase!
Old 10-25-07, 09:29 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

get the power steering fixed pronto if it leaks on the alternator it will short out the alternator and then you will have a 300-500 dollars going out. And yes you bought not just a good car BUT A GREATEST CAR EVER BUILT.