LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Dealer wants $5400 in repairs......What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 11:41 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer wants $5400 in repairs......What do I need?

I just bought a 92 LS400 with 66k original miles.

Here is the whopper that the dealership told me I needed done after I dropped it off today.

So far I've agreed to the following:
Oil and filter change, tire rotation
Fender liner was ripped, so replacing the lining
Power Steering pump was leaking on my alternator
$1350 for all of it....

The rest of the list looks like this:
-Upper Control Arm needs replacement
-Timing Belt suggested to be replaced, along with water pump etc.
-Rear knuckle bushings?
- Antenna is broken(I'll probably never pay the money to fix this, either myself or someone else)
-Alignment needs to be done, but was told it would be useless without the suspension work being done.
-CV boots are leaking, not too bad, but leaking nonetheless.

I NEED YOUR HELP!

What do I NEED to get done, either now or later. And also can most of this be done by a mechanic? Is the car hard to work on by any means?

This is going to be a beater/daily driver so I do want to get it up to spec in terms of reliable driveability, but also don't want to pour too much cash into this car either... So please give me advice on what should be done.... Thanks!
Old 09-05-06, 12:17 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tcho82

The rest of the list looks like this:
-Upper Control Arm needs replacement
-Timing Belt suggested to be replaced, along with water pump etc.
-Rear knuckle bushings?
- Antenna is broken(I'll probably never pay the money to fix this, either myself or someone else)
-Alignment needs to be done, but was told it would be useless without the suspension work being done.
-CV boots are leaking, not too bad, but leaking nonetheless.
Let's See....
-Upper Control Arm is between $414.00 to $344.00<---Park Place Lexus
-Rear Knuck(KNUCKLE, LS400, Right 90-94 $259.37 $215.28 <---Park Place Lexus
-Alignment can be done at a good tire shop for about $60.00 - $125.00 NTB has a life time alignment here in the DC area, one fee and get it done every year with no additional cost. They did agreat job on my lex, show the print out and everthing.
-CB Boots? I don't know about that because I thought Constant Velocity Joint boots were only on FWD vehicles. Someone pleace correct me on this because I don't see them on Lexus parts list for 92 LS400.

I would suggest if the suspension is not that bad in ride quality and if it's not endangering your control of the vehicle I would hold off. But the timing belt would be my priority. I would buy the parts for the other stuff and get a good mechanic to install it.

Maybe find a reputable mechanic to install at a reasonable labor cost $50-$80

*Price quoted are from Park Place Lexus online catalog, just a comparison not a recommendation of actually purchasing from them. Even though I have done a lot of business with them. I hope this helps.
Old 09-05-06, 03:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

take like 5% off those parts prices if u get them from Carson Toyota (luis or steve in parts)
Old 09-05-06, 06:33 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Has anyone hear used lexuspartsonline.com
Old 09-05-06, 06:55 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if he's talking about cv boots on a rear wheel drive car, you cannot trust ANYTHING he says about anything. find an independent repair place. the woods are full of them, usually they are ex-lexus employees.
Old 09-05-06, 09:46 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the help guys. Yeah, I kind of regret saying the ok for the pump replacement. But whatever. Everything else will probably be done by an indie mechanic. I'll definitely post up EVERYTHING the dealership "recommends..."

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 09-05-06, 10:32 PM
RA0806232
Driver School Candidate

Default CV Boots

DenverDog,

Not sure about your '93 but my 91 LS400 has CV Boots on the rear axles.
Old 09-08-06, 03:02 PM
jmblimo
Pole Position

Hey, they aren't finished with you yet. They will find a lot more stuff to rip you off for. Don't let them do any of it! When I first bought mine, I took it to the local dealer too and every time I got a repair quote, my car was a total loss with all the stuff they wanted to do. Stay away from the dealer and find yourself a good independent mechanic or learn to do the work yourself. For $5400, you could buy another pretty good '92 or even newer.
Old 09-11-06, 09:15 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a heads up. If they do the rear carriers they will probably / should swap the rear bearings as well. So dont think its just the carriers. The upper control arm bushings as well as the rear carrier bushings are not available seperately. They are both problems you see quite a bit.
Old 09-12-06, 07:08 AM
LexusLimit
Driver

Just find a local shop to do the work. They are equally skilled or better than any dealership mechanic.
Old 09-12-06, 07:15 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardign the CV boots.

The GS which is a rearwheel drive car does have what looks like CV joints at least in the rear. I realize that they probably are not called CV boots but they do look the same.

I never bothered to look at the front but I know they have them on the rear axles.
Old 09-12-06, 07:23 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusLimit
Just find a local shop to do the work. They are equally skilled or better than any dealership mechanic.

Not true for most of them. There are good techs outside of dealerships. But most good techs work at dealerships because they pay better. They pay better because they require more cert & training. More cert & training = more knowledge and or skill. But thats why you get what you pay for. Either way will work as long as you trust who you're dealing with. I just disagre with the above quoted comment. I would never take my car to a dealership or any shop unless I had to. But thats because I do all my own work. I dont want anyone else but me working on my car. Good Luck.
Old 09-14-06, 06:13 AM
LexusLimit
Driver

Originally Posted by KiPod
Not true for most of them. There are good techs outside of dealerships. But most good techs work at dealerships because they pay better. They pay better because they require more cert & training. More cert & training = more knowledge and or skill. But thats why you get what you pay for. Either way will work as long as you trust who you're dealing with. I just disagre with the above quoted comment. I would never take my car to a dealership or any shop unless I had to. But thats because I do all my own work. I dont want anyone else but me working on my car. Good Luck.

I know what your saying, but I was refering to mechanics that have their own shop. They tend to put 100% effort in working towards your car because they don't want a bad rep and plus whatever you pay them its theirs. At the dealership they get pay a flat rate and they tend to do a half *** job if the car is not new or under warranty.
Old 09-14-06, 08:12 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Warranty pays less than flat rate. Our techs would prefer COD TO warranty any day. But yes if a Tech opens thier own shop, that is the best. Like you said.
Old 06-28-10, 12:16 PM
MeryLexmas
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feed the compressor proper voltage directly from the plug. If it kicks on you have a blown or missing fuse most likely.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants $5400 in repairs......What do I need?