LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

K&N filter let dirt thru

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-01, 01:01 PM
hschen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Just joined the board and received very well warm welcome from many of you. Thanks.
Here is my first useful post to all of you have K&N drop-in filter. Since I also own a supercharged 4Runner for a while, I have been on the 4Runner forum and had some experience to share with you guys. K&N drop-in has been receiving bad review by many members in the 4Runner community due to it let dirt went thru. I used to have K&N drop-in filter in my 4Runner. Now I switched to Amsoil foam filter which costs lot less than K&N and has better filtration function. I want to sell my K&N but nobody in the 4Runner community will buy it. They all know the bad reviews and test results. I will check Amsoil to see if they have one for LS400. Those of you have K&N drop-in, have you seen any performance increase, dirty intake or just more noise. Is there any other filter choices for LS400?
Old 08-08-01, 05:29 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hschen you might want to ask swift racing.there inake/ecu combo will increase hp 10%

http://www.swiftracing.com

call them up and see if they have a application for you
Old 08-09-01, 12:22 AM
tonka_ca
Driver School Candidate

lol. Yes, those guys are my personal heros.
Old 08-09-01, 02:37 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N

I have sold a lot of K&N filters and I have never experienced a failure like you said.
The most filters I sell are the open kind, but I don't think that will differ from the drop in since they are made from the same material. The drop in is also better protected.
If you have a K&N and it has failed, why don't you send it back for guarantee.

Those are my experiences with K&N.
Old 08-09-01, 09:55 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

How long were these guys running their filters before they noticed the dirt getting through? You are supposed to clean it like every 15,000 miles. I did notice a performance increase after putting the K&N filter in. And like Richie says, if it was pushing dirt through and it is being maintained you should get it replaced. It does have a million mile warranty. I really don't see how it could pass dirt with the material they use though. They use a kind of hospital gauze with very fine perforations, that coupled with the oil really shouldn't allow anything through other than air.
Old 08-09-01, 09:58 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I have read some reports of people saying the K&N is allowing dirt to flow through it and into the engine. My own personal experience with a drop in K&N on a turbo car I put over 200,000miles on (20% of the K&N warranty ) . I installed the filter at about 10,000 miles and there was a small amount of dust buildup on the filtered side of the cleaner housing from running the factory paper filter. After running 10,000 with the K&N there was NO dust none, zero, zip. For the next 190,000 miles I had the same experience, NO dust.

I must say that the rubber edging of the filter and the strange fitting of some cleaner boxes can make it possible to bungle the install and leave a gap allowing unfiltered air. If cleaned, oiled and installed properly I have never personally seen a problem.
Old 08-09-01, 10:43 AM
hschen
Driver School Candidate

Red face It didn't fail ...

I am not an expert on this kind of stuff. I rely on experts' opinion. Every forum has several gurus whom people like me get valuable information from. K&N simply got a bad reputation in 4Runner community when comparing to Amsoil filter from filtration performance standpoint. My personal experience was that K&N left a lot of oil in my air box, even dripping down (maybe I put too much oil). While Amsoil filter holds oil better and it's as messy. I don't think Amsoil made one for LS so I was looking for a performance filter other than K&N. BTW, anybody wants to my slightly used K&N filter for 4Runner?
Old 08-09-01, 12:03 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

What are you guys thinking How could you forget about the VERY, VERY, VERY knowledgeable MR. JBRADY? He has spread his wealth of wisdom amongst the forums from day 1. Well, maybe I'm just overly impressed with the articulate manner in which he writes/speaks backed with facts/documentation to the statements he makes. Just cruise the forums/threads and read his writings.

Not saying you other guys are slouches... I must say you guys as a smaller group always share pertinent information on a daily basis. JBrady, EDogg, LS400in520, Loule, & Stephen.

As for the K&N filters, we've{my 2 siblings & I} had no problems in our family with them since 1987 or so.... used in SC4, GS4, 98 C5 vette, 97 Range Rover, 95 Mustang, 93 GS3, 91 300ZX tt, 93 300ZX 2+2, 89 Conquest TSI, 87 EXP, 83 280ZX and 65 VW Karmann Ghia. There are companies that are making some great filters now to compete with K&N. Apexi, www.apexi.com has been getting the highest marks lately and I really would like to try their filter one day on the SC4.

If you are not confident in a product you bought, don't use it! Also as was mentioned by Richie use the WARRANTY that's why you have one...:eek:
Old 08-09-01, 02:15 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

hahahahahaa!!!!

You guys are crazy!
Thanks for the compliments.
As for the K&N filter, I have one and it hasn't given me any problems so far.
As long as you clean it every 15K miles, I can't see it failing to protect your car from dirt.
Old 08-10-01, 05:04 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

By the way does any one have any info on the Apexi air filters? Or sites/shops that sell them?