LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Major Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-01, 02:34 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

So I'm driving my car the other night and feel that need for speed. I shift lanes and floor it to get the downshift kick. UH OH!!! The tach reved up but guess what, no pickup in the car. So I tried it again, same thing, the engine reved up but I didn't get any accelerated movement. Anybody have any thoughts on whats wrong? It seems like this could be a major problem but I don't know. My father says that the car shifted out of gear. Do you guys think this was a mechanical problem or perhaps something to do with the electronics? I was in power mode and after switching back to normal mode the car seemed okay again. I'm a little afraid to go back to power mode after that incident. I didn't hear grinding or bad noises or anything when it happened and I had the traction control off. I'd really appreciate any help. I'm probably gonna take it to the dealer pretty soon and have them run a diagnostic and look things over. I'd really hate to have to rebuild the tranny, the car only has 105,000 miles on it. Thanks for your info.
Old 08-03-01, 04:41 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be serious Fusion,but i would get it checked out.
There might be no problem at all,i would try it again and see if it occurs again,but i dunno if you would want to take that chance of further damage.Like your dad said is might of shifted out of gear,but it could be that your tranny has gone bad,but i hope not.If i were you i would go get it checked out before further damage can occur.
Old 08-04-01, 10:41 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Could be as simple as low fluid.
Old 08-04-01, 08:13 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

c'mon my car is almost 200,000 and was raped by al three owners it had (including me). in that period of time condition has stopped working and the power steering pump broke. no tranny or engine problems though!
Old 08-05-01, 12:22 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default hmmmmm

I'm out of my league giving you advice but i guess I might as well try to help.....right?

Okay, I had the same problem with my LX450 a lil bit ago, I punched it.......wouldn't change gears and RPM went sky high. Okay, took it in (still under warranty), my catalytic converter was clogged they replaced it no charge along with other various lil thing. Try cleaning out your catalytic converter if your cars not under warranty...it's worth a shot.
Old 08-05-01, 07:30 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: hmmmmm

Originally posted by Francis K
...Try cleaning out your catalytic converter if your cars not under warranty...it's worth a shot.
Catalytic converters can't be cleaned out. Only replaced. A clogged one wouldn't cause the tranny to slip as it did for FusionMan79.
Old 08-06-01, 09:38 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

Well the transmission fluid level should be fine. It was just changed at my mechanic.

If you had that same problem Francis and they actually solved it by repairing the cat converter I won't hesitate looking into it. I'm not so sure that it actually slipped out of gear or what happened.

I have noticed after changing the front shocks and spark plugs, then driving around a bit that the car's pickup is much better but the tranny engages harsher. New torque converter maybe?

Don't know but as soon as I get the rear shocks swapped out I'm gonna take it to the dealer and get it checked out. Might be a while though. I'm having trouble locating someone who carries the rear coil insulators. Anyone know of someplace in Chicago? The dealer has to order them. I was all set to do the job today, jacked up the car and everything and when I looked at the old coil insulators they were just disintegrated. Oh well guess I'll have to wait a few days. Thanks for your help you guys. And Manaray or Loule if I could get your opinion on this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08-06-01, 01:14 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry to hear that fusion.
I've had the same problem. when i try to down shift manually, it will not enguage, it will just rev high. had it check out and all they said was the tranny was abused and parts need ot be replace, i'm gettin it replace in a couple of weeks, so i'll ask for which parts was replace so i can tell you.
tony
Old 08-06-01, 10:38 PM
FusionMan79
Driver

Thanks LS400, I appreciate it. If you could let me know how much they charge you too that'd be great.
Old 08-07-01, 01:22 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

i actually don't know how much a repair shop would charge.. My friend is a Mechanic for Honda and is doing the tranny job for me, he's going to charge for parts and like 1 or 2 bills for labor, pretty good price. But i'
ll let you know what parts when he starts taking it apart.
tony
Old 08-09-01, 10:03 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Solution to tranny that engage harsh....replace the ATF twice in a row. It worked for me...HUGE difference.
Old 08-09-01, 11:01 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

It's very strange but the car seems to be running quite well now. It shifts right at 5900 RPMs with almost no latency for gear change. I had things apart (front shocks, rear struts, driveshafts, and exhaust system) so that I could replace the struts and springs. While doing the job there were 3 things I noted that could affect the transmission performance. 1. I had the battery disconnected for about a day. 2. A large amount of soot fell from the mufflers at the bolt-on joint. 3. The rear of the car was lifted perhaps allowing the ATF to soak into the front part of the tranny. Now whether any of these things could actually solve my problem I don't know. I do know that in the past after having the battery disconnected, the car would perform much better. That kinda makes me think the ECU might be to blame. After having the battery disconnected for that long, I'm sure the ECU reset itself. It really seems like the setup they have for sensing driving style is becoming a hinderance. Now that I'm finished with the suspension I'm gonna get it to the dealer and see what's up.