LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Too much feeling in the steering wheel? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 05:49 AM
inspector1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Too much feeling in the steering wheel? Help?

Proudly, I finally upgraded from my 94 ls to a 00 ls. However, I have noticed a tremendous amount of feel in the wheel even over the smallest bumps. It is as if you can feel, or the road is grabbing the wheel over all the bumps. something is not measuring up. I don't recall this in my 94. Things feel way too loose.

I even have new tires, which I have confirmed are all balanced and OK. My alignment is OK.

Need to hear from those that understand what the problem is. I am just not that technically intelligent when it comes to suspension and related items.

Any help, thoughts, etc. are greatly appreciated.

The inspector
Old 04-19-05, 06:34 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

First, congrats on the upgrade, the '00 is my favorite LS after the '04's.

Secondly, which type of tire did you get for it? Long-life tires tend to be much harder then others, resulting in noticeable difference in road feel. Is there any vibration? Do you think the previous owner might have changed the shocks? Because the shocks on the LS are VERY soft, especially when they are 60K+ old.

So let us know what kind of tires you have, and if the shocks are still OEM. (O***s are black in color).
Old 04-19-05, 07:36 AM
inspector1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, the 2000 is a great car. Fast. I bought those Ecsta tires. Seem like really nice tires and reasonably priced.

Ironically, you should inquire about a vibration. There is a steering shimmy that occurs everytime right at about 60 miles per hour. when slower, it is not there, when I go faster, it is not there. Just right around 60, the wheel shimmys/vibrates....very weird.

In addition, when I am driving with the radio down, slowly, I hear creaking going over small bumps, or just about any bumps. The creaking or rocking reminds me of old wood floor sounds. It is fairly faint, but definitely apparent. More of a rocking sound as the car goes up/down over any bumps.

I have no idea about the struts....52,000 on the vehic. I would think they have never been replaced.

also, when I bought the car, 4,000 mi ago, it needed new motor and trans mounts. I did have them replaced fairly recently. The steering play and feel though, was there independent of the motor/trans mounts. The mechanic, who checked out my car prior to my purchase, did seem a bit surprised the motor/trans mounts were bad (he showed them to me, cracked in half), but did not seemed too concerned and still gave me a thumbs up on the purchase.

Do you think this is normal? I wouldn't think so. The steering sensitivity is driving me crazy, even small bumps kind of grab the wheel and pull it quickly.

Thoughts?
Old 04-19-05, 10:30 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Ball joints.

that a little early for them though...typically 90-100K is the limit on them.

also check strut rods.

is there a clunk? if not, it could be rack and pinion as well. Is your steering wheel off center at all? If you turn left does it stay off center to the left, until you make a right turn, at which point, its stays off center to the right? this is known as Hystorosis-the inability to center (greek term).

at any rate, those are the things that pop directly into mind.
Old 04-19-05, 06:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

When I encounter a sharp road variation, it is slightly transmitted through the steering and it takes a rather big jolt to feel the wheel move in mine.

Check that the steering rack mounts are torqued properly. I dunno how the LS is, my other Toyota's have a bushing to dampen the rack assembly. If this wears the tolerances open up so the rack can move slightly.

Tie rods, strut bars, strut mount, bushings are possibilities for noises and additional steering feedback. How were the old tires wearing? On your alignment specs, were the settings close or does one seem to be much different than the other side?

I ask this because weird steering and alignment may be signs of bent/worn suspension parts as well as possible front end damage through a past collision.