LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air Suspension Lowers itself when parked

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 09:37 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension Lowers itself when parked

My 93' LS400 has Air Suspension.
While my car is parked, after awhile I come back to my car...one of the rear suspension is like lowered almost all the way down! When you look at the car from distance...it looks like one of the tire is flat. lolz. But when you turn your engine on. it goes back up to normal height.

Randomly either both rear suspension lowers itself when engine off for awhile, or left rear itself, or right rear itself. Sometimes front suspension but not most likely. It's mostly the rears.

Also, do ya hear like "hiss" noise after 5-10 seconds after shutting off car.
Sounds like coming from air suspension. It sounds like my car just passed a soft gas. lolz

But I think this is hella pretty cool for my car hahaha. Wonder what happens when I put a 19-20 inch rims on it.
Old 01-17-05, 09:45 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

Default rims

b/t/w, is it ok to put aftermarket 18-21 inch rims on air suspension rides?
Or would it require me to change the suspension? just curious.
Old 01-18-05, 12:07 AM
loveMyLs
Rookie

i think your air suspensions are gone mate! you either have to find a reconditioned shocks or replace it with normal suspension. good luck!
Old 01-18-05, 09:56 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

Originally Posted by loveMyLs
i think your air suspensions are gone mate! you either have to find a reconditioned shocks or replace it with normal suspension. good luck!
are you sure and positive about that? because it still rides smooth as normal.
Old 01-18-05, 12:49 PM
LS_4Will
Driver School Candidate

Yup, you have a leaking shock. I had the same problem when i would park my car, one corner would drop to the ground. Turns out I had a leaking shock. The reason why the car goes back up when you start the car is because the compressor is pumping air back into the shock but once you shut the car off, the compressor stops working and the air leaks out. ..The hiss after you turn the car off is the air suspension trying to level the car. Well be prepared to shell out some money cause its not gonna be cheap. I had to pay 900 just for the front shock, but that was before I found out about CL of course. I would recommend you call steve at carson toyota. I don't remember the number but you could do a search. You should replace it with air suspension to keep the balance of the car or else the regular shock would kind of throw things off. thats just my opinion though. good luck
Old 01-18-05, 04:23 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

Unhappy

that's not good...nooo that's not good!! noooo~~!

*ahem* so my shock is about to go out eh...

gosh i already spent too much on this car already on maintenance and parts, over 8k. costs more than what my car is worth now...
now another one!~! woot! not...
Old 01-20-05, 01:25 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nagasakki
that's not good...nooo that's not good!! noooo~~!

*ahem* so my shock is about to go out eh...

gosh i already spent too much on this car already on maintenance and parts, over 8k. costs more than what my car is worth now...
now another one!~! woot! not...
What up! I have a brand new LR Air strut and a used RR for you. PM me....
Old 01-25-05, 04:55 PM
Janeth
Driver School Candidate

You have several options. If you replace one air shock I would do all 4. Chances are, if one of them failed then the others are close behind. Both of my cars failed with the air suspension around 130k miles. You may want to check ebay for a full set or another user on this board to save some money.. It is very expensive to replace these shocks. You could also convert to a regular shock/spring setup, there are many options for this. Third option might be to check out www.strutmasters.com. I think tey are located in one of the Carolinas so this could be helpful if you decide to go that route since they are local. Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 01-25-05, 06:37 PM
jasonmo
Driver School Candidate

Default Same type of question, but not sure if it applies to me

I'm glad this user asked this question. I've noticed recently that the back of my car when parked looked off center. It's like the driver side was lower than the passenger side. Everytime since the last few months I noticed this my cars rear the driver side is lower than the passenger side. However I don't have air suspension (at least I don't think so). See I've noticed on 92 model's there is a air suspension button, or comfort ride button. Mine doesn't have that. So does that mean I don't have air suspension, or am I completely wrong? And yes I've noticed the comfort level is really bad now, I can feel bumps on the road not like before. But I'm not sure if this is the same problem, because I thought I didn't have air suspension.

92 Ls400
Old 01-25-05, 07:06 PM
Janeth
Driver School Candidate

Electronic Air Suspension with ride control

There are 3 rocker switches next to the transmission shifter instead of 1 rocker switch. They are marked Sport/Normal, Height and ECT Pwr/Norm.

One other issue with the Air Suspension is that if the pump is constantly running to keep the shock inflated (because it is leaking) it will eventually burn itself up which is another costly repair.
Old 01-25-05, 07:46 PM
jasonmo
Driver School Candidate

I only have one rocker switch, the ECT switch. So does that mean I do not have air suspension?
Old 01-26-05, 01:52 AM
LS_4Will
Driver School Candidate

Jasonmo, sorry to say but your assumption is correct. You do not have air suspension. If your car is riding bad like you descibed, I think it is time for you to buy some new shocks. You might want to look into some lowering springs while you are at it if you want more of a sportier look/feel. Good Luck.
Old 01-26-05, 06:14 AM
jasonmo
Driver School Candidate

Which shocks would you guys recommend to go with. I put some new 17' rims on a while back with yokohama h4s tires. However I never changed any of the suspension equipment. What do would you guys recommend. I'm trying to get somewhere near the orginial lexus comfort (ride quality). Is Tokico gas shocks a good setup?
Old 01-26-05, 05:46 PM
LS_4Will
Driver School Candidate

You should try using the search bar to surf the forums cause I'm not running on shocks/springs therefore I can't really give you a good opinion, sorry. But If I were you, I would go for some JIC coilovers, thats the only good opinion I could give , Good Luck.