LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First Car...What Too Do With It???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-04, 08:16 AM
Magia120
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Car...What Too Do With It???

I own a 1990 LS400 and it's my first car. Im 16 and cant stand leaving it stock. Plus it has its problems which aggrivate me. First the A/C control display is blacking out, second the drivers control for the rear windows dont work, third the subwoofer rattles (anyone know how to get the cover off?), and lastly the CD changer wont work. I really want to hook the car up but all of the repairs to even get it near being ready to modify are way too expensive. Anyone know where I can get new/used/refurbished parts for cheap? Also, where are some good websites for aftermarket parts?

thanks,
Cody
Old 09-11-04, 06:04 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well as far as mods there are plenty of things you car do like wheels, suspension, body kit, but you got the right idea about making sure the car is 100% before mods. You might find some parts on ebay or your local junkyards. Good luck
Old 09-30-04, 02:59 PM
hlovepenn
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can help on the rear window problem. I have had the same problem with a '91 MR2 and my '91 LS400--the contacts burn and won't conduct. To fix, pry our the unit from the left side with a flat blade. Be careful to protect the upholstery. Unhook the wiring and then carefully take the screws off the plate that holds everything together. I recommend doing this on the floor on a large blanket so that you don't lose anything. Use an emery board, sandpaper or small file and clean the contacts. Carefully reassemble and it will work. If you have any questions, contact me! Good luck.
Old 09-30-04, 05:46 PM
chrisngo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My customers ask me these types of questions all the time.

This question depends on what exactly you want to do with the car. Are you just going to cruise?
Did you want a nice handling car? etc...

Well, I always say, get it running in as near showroom condition as possible. This means getting a tune up, oil and lube job, and (in my opinon) most important would be to replace bushings (maybe upgrade?). This will make your car feel like a new car. Basically, you want to concentrate on the OE parts first.

Second, when all the tune-up stuff is done, move onto the suspension. I chose to go with Tokico Blues and Tanabe Springs. I love my setup. I also got 19" wheels. I am happy for the moment, but like you I always have the itch to modify my cars.

You may want to do power mods...I did an Injen intake. But the quest for power is not my number one priority. I'm done with all that, i just want to cruise.

So whatever you do, just have fun. Do it for yourself and do it cause you like it. Don't worry what others say, there is no need to conform to the masses if you want to be unique.

That's all...hope this helps.
Chris