LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New tune-up tutorial, take a look

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-04, 06:53 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb New tune-up tutorial, take a look

I just wanted to let you all know that I have a new tutorial on how to replace your spark plugs and ignition wires posted on my LS website:

http://www.pearsonimaging.com/LS/tuneup.html

I've had these parts for months now but it was just too cold here in Minnesota to do the job (My friend with a heated garage is currently in Iraq). This weekend it was about 36 degrees and I couldn't wait any longer. I've got more parts to install and will have more tutorials coming up in the next few months. Let me know what you think of the tune-up tutorial.
Old 03-08-04, 04:35 AM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your website is amazing. A wonderful resource for those of us who do not wish to contribute to the fat profits of Lexus dealers.

Great tutorial. I might try it myself next time I have to do that on my car.
Old 03-08-04, 07:58 AM
buttons
Driver

looks like great info, but would like to know one thing:
Why are most of these 'how-tos' made with black background and white lettering?????

For those of us who would want to print out things like this to take with us to the garage to do the work[saves lots of walking back and forth--no computer in garage !!], it is extremely tough.
Takes lots of ink and etc.
Is there a way to reverse the print so the lettering could be in black !!???

I know it must be artistic to do it this way---but it just isn't good for diy people who want to print this stuff out.

Really, I would like to know the answer to this--since 'cureline' etc and others(some with boiler plate backgrounds) do this stuff.

Just plain ole white with black print and normal photos is the best way for a tutoral !!!!!

Am I the only one out here that wonders 'why' on such super information !!!!!
Old 03-08-04, 08:40 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by buttons
looks like great info, but would like to know one thing:
Why are most of these 'how-tos' made with black background and white lettering?????

I know it must be artistic to do it this way---but it just isn't good for diy people who want to print this stuff out.

Really, I would like to know the answer to this--since 'cureline' etc and others(some with boiler plate backgrounds) do this stuff.
I can't speak for the others, but I can tell you that I design my site so it looks good. I think having a black background allows you to focus on the pictures better, the white text just goes along with this best.

The only solution is for you to download the page and edit it or for me to create a printer friendly version. I will put this on my to do list, it shouldn't take too long.
Old 03-08-04, 08:45 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

I'm about to pull the trigger on ViTech wires, too for the 2JZ-GE. Awesome writeup. Finally someone on here who's engine is as dirty as mine. Hopefully I can get it as clean as you did.
Old 03-08-04, 08:46 AM
buttons
Driver

tks--you do understand 'where I am coming from' about the printing !!!
the info is great, and know you spent much time doing it {I do good to take one or 2 photos}.
it does look good with edges of photos hidden with black-----
I was just referring to the printing aspect only.
R
Old 03-08-04, 10:10 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Post Printer friendly version

I now have a bare bones printer friendly version up for this tutorial: http://www.pearsonimaging.com/LS/pfpages/tuneup.html

I'll do the other ones later when I get some spare time, but right now I need to work .
Old 03-08-04, 05:25 PM
buttons
Driver

tks a lot Earl--wow, didn't know it was 31 pages!!!!!! you really need to give the print option in others--this is great tks.
Attached Thumbnails New tune-up tutorial, take a look-lexus-7in.jpg  
Old 03-08-04, 05:37 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow!

Carl,

Great write up. I have already used your tutorials for brakes and radio removal.

Your efforts are truly appreciated.

Question - was the performance difference noticeable? I am also curious how closely you monitor your gas mileage and if you see an increase in gas mileage as a result of this.

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited by GA400; 03-08-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-08-04, 09:40 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

I will be doing as you suggested Richard and adding printer friendly versions to the rest of my tutorials. However it might be a little while, I am pretty booked this week. Wow, 31 pages! It's probably because I use pictures that are 640x480, this takes up a lot of space. I find that this is the best size because you can actually see what's going on in the pic. I never really intended for my tutorials to be printed, but if you want to that's cool with me.

Rich, I do monitor my gas mileage very closely. Before doing this I would get max 22-23mpg for 100% highway driving, all city driving was horrible at 16-17mpg. It's going to take some time to figure my new mileages because I don't drive that much in the winter because I work at home. My initial observations are that the car seems to be a little more peppy, only slightly though. We'll see about the MPG issue in time. If anything I know my engine is a little happier .