LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Strutmaster uses Tokico Blues!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-03, 01:10 PM
jjennings
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strutmaster uses Tokico Blues!

According to my conversation today with one of the "techs" at Strutmasters, they are currently spec-ing their air to non-air conversion kits with Tokico Blues. Until recently, they used the KYB struts which I have read on this forum (many times) to be the closest aftermarket strut to the LS400 OEM. Also, If you want them to use another strut, he said they can probably put it together if provided the model and part number.

By numerous searches on this site, I have gleaned that converting to non-air is not a big deal, but you must obtain the strut hat parts (which are not part of the air-suspension set-up). These can be obtained from a dealer at $100 a piece or salvaged from a non-air LS400 for $50 a piece (quoting Kamtra https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=96181).

Assuming parts only, my web-surfing reveals I can get a set of Eibachs for $257 (sport - on Tirerack) and a set of Tokico Blues $291 (new on Ebay). Add to that the $200 for strut hats (assuming I can find a salvage yard that has them) and the total for all the parts is $748.00. The Strutmaster set-up with Tokico Blues (which is ready to bolt in with a built-in strut hat) is $745.00.

What is the downside to going with the Strutmasters? This is not a rhetorical question - I am truly wanting feedback.

Assuming I don't want to shell out for coilovers (which I haven't ruled out yet) or I don't want to lower my LS (which I also haven't rule out yet) it seems like a no-brainer that anyone wanting to convert to non-air would go the Strutmasters route, especially if they could choose their strut. I suspect they would even do the OEM strut if I made arrangements with them. (Note - from some of the posts on here, it seems OEM and KYB may be the same part?) The only other variable I could think of would be the quality of the spring Strutmaster uses. The tech I spoke with said they used "their own," which tells me nothing. Could their springs be that bad, that I would want to spend more and have to obtain all the parts separately?

Thanks to anyone who may want to chime in. I am constantly amazed at the quality of info. on this site.

Last edited by jjennings; 12-28-03 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-22-03, 01:32 PM
jjennings
Driver School Candidate

I will be ther first to correct myself. I just re-read the post from Kamtra and it appears the $50 (per corner) he paid for salvage parts included the strut top plate, spring and OEM strut. Kamtra, if you read this, is that correct?

So assuming I could strike the same deal for salvage parts but still wanted to replace the struts with OEM, Tokico, KYB or something else, the price would be approximately $500 (parts only). Even so, for another $245, you get new springs and a set-up that is ready to bolt in right out of the box.

I'm still interested in any feedback others may have.
Old 12-23-03, 02:48 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What springs does Strutmaster use?

If you want improved handling with a modest lower stance, it seems to me the Eibach route is easier. Eibach's sell at ~$225. TM Engineering had a suspension set-up at a good price, you may try them. Doublewoosh or look in the CL vendor section. Also check the for sale section for stuff. I paid $220 from Toysport for my Eibach Pro Kit's and with shipping it was $246.

Anyway, my vote for the seperates route. You may essentially be at the same price and parts but the springs will also contribute to the package. Eibach is a known quality component.
Old 12-23-03, 02:57 PM
jjennings
Driver School Candidate

RA40,

Thanks for the response.

When I asked what springs they used, the Strutmaster Tech gave me the impression they fabricate their own. Seems more likely that they use someone elses spring and incorporate a strut top plate. I agree that is a question that should be answered to fully evaluate which route to go.

Just curious. Were the Eibach Pros you used lowering springs or standard height? I recall from a PM you sent me that you are going to install them after xmas. Keep us posted on what you think once you get them installed.

I will check out the vendor sources you suggested.

Last edited by jjennings; 12-23-03 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-23-03, 08:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Eibach specs a 1" lower ride height for the Pro Kit in my application.

I'm becoming more anxious as I hear the clunking from my worn strut bars more. I'll post once I get them installed.
Old 12-23-03, 08:46 PM
jjennings
Driver School Candidate

Look forward to seeing them. 1 inch is perfect in my opinion.
Old 12-28-03, 01:13 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Eibachs and Bilsteins ( on lower strut purch) Look at the difference my car Green and RA40 the white. It is more than a 1inch because of the lower strut purch.
Attached Thumbnails Strutmaster uses Tokico Blues!-11785white_out-med.jpg  

Last edited by Lexkost; 12-28-03 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-28-03, 06:40 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

how much were those bilsteins with the adjustable perch, and do you know if they make them for the 1st generation ls400's?
Old 12-28-03, 09:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Bilstein does not have an applicaton for the UCF 10/11 unfortunately. Though you do have the KYB AGX which is a sport tuned type cartridge. Lexkost's LS is IMO the right height. 1" isn't really noticeable except to a diehard LS owner. When you get to 1.5-2", that makes the wheels fill up the wheel arch nicely and it is obvious.
Old 12-28-03, 11:35 PM
jjennings
Driver School Candidate

Lexhost - your car does look great. I'm not sure I would want to drop mine that much, but (as RA40 said) the wheels are tucked nicely in the wheelwells.
Old 12-30-03, 12:06 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

well i have a large system in the truck and i dont want the bag to sag lower than the front. i guess if it sags too much i will cut a coil or two of the front springs!!
Old 10-22-06, 06:51 PM
HKS_IS300
Rookie

so i need the strut hat parts. darn.
Old 10-22-06, 08:31 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you decide to go the Strutmaster route, then for God's sake please don't let them put Tokico Blues in the assembly. If you have been here for awhile you may have run across a post of mine addressing the shock issue with Suneet about this. Earlier in the year, I completely replaced my suspension and have BLOWN 2 complete sets of the Blues'. I drive truck for a living and am only home twice a month, so my car sits a majority of the time. How can you blow shocks sitting still?? (LOL!!!) Anyway, I now run the KYB-GR2's along with the H&R lowering springs and have not had a problem. The H&R's give a little over an inch for a drop (similar to Eibach Prokit). I also have a box with two 12's in the trunk and the ride is still good. Of course coilovers would be even better, but hey!!! When you ballin on a budget, you take what you can get. The Blues had a horrible ride to me. The car felt really mushy when driving, sloppy over bumps and extremely soft when turning corners. Some like the blues' but I hated them. Here is a pic of my 92 with the KYB's and H&R springs.
Attached Thumbnails Strutmaster uses Tokico Blues!-p9240012.jpg  
Old 10-23-06, 06:34 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rims

Great opinions fellas.

But would you recommend a 1" drop with KYBs replacing the originals and still keep the stock rims?

Or only do a drop if you got nice rims?

I curious to see if anyone else has kept the stock rims and still put her down an Inch.

Anyone?
Old 10-23-06, 08:08 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenzo816
Great opinions fellas.

But would you recommend a 1" drop with KYBs replacing the originals and still keep the stock rims?

Or only do a drop if you got nice rims?

I curious to see if anyone else has kept the stock rims and still put her down an Inch.

Anyone?
My opinion,, It really just depends on what direction you are trying to take the car. I ran my stocks last winter before I had my rims but I was on the Blues'. While the car may handle a little more sporty, it really didnt make that much of a difference. In my situation my 92 was factory equipped with 15's. When I bought the car it had 16's and I thought that was what needed to be on there. Handled great, no problem. Now, factory for my 92 was 205/70/15 (I think, dont, really remember,) I had 225/60/16 and at stock height the car handled well, no rub, and it looked mean as hell in profile.
When I dropped the car, I had what looked to be more than a 1" drop b/c now the tires were too big to accomodate the drop rate. Normal everyday driving was no problem, yet highway driving was a killer. I had rub issues b/c the suspension settles lower by nature above 60 mph. So if you gonna drop and do the stockers route, just remember you may want to consider your tire size to see if it works as well. Any of the tire reps can help you or just look on some of the different sites to see what size stock is recommended and compare to what you are running. If they match, you should have no problem but remember it is going to be a different ride all around.
Shocks,, I recommend KYB's over the blues' all the way. Seems to be a more sturdy shock and let's face it. I blew 2 sets (8 shocks) of the Tokico's just standing still. LOL!!!
So you can get a better idea to your question, here is a pic of my car last winter b4 mods started. Keep in mind the tire I have on there is 1" overall too big. Rides fine just tooling around the street, but load the car with passengers or throw it on the highway and rub city... LOL!!!

Only thing done at this time was the tints and H&R drop.

Last edited by trukn1; 10-23-06 at 08:14 AM.