LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

RPM's and repairs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-03, 12:00 PM
nadzak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM's and repairs

RPM's and repairs
I just got a 1991 Lexus LS400 with 127000 on it. It is in poor condition, but I plan to drive it daily and fix it slowly. The front seats are torn, the clear on the paint is vanishing and the dashboard is bent upward in the middle just above the vents (I guess from the sun, maybe). It also needs a new shifter, since the one I have doesn't have the letter wrapping on it, it is just the plasic. Same with the steering wheel.
As for the mechanical, I took it to the dealer and they said that the control arms need bushings since they have excessive play, the rack and pinion and the power steering pump need to be changed because they are leaking (even though the rack and pinion is only six months old since the rebuild and I just changed the pump and the pressure hose on it). They also say that the rear carrier bushing need to be changed. Same goes for the engine mounts and the transmission mount. Oh, also the valve cover gaskets are leaking. WHOA, so much stuff going on I probably forgot to mention other things... oh, well.

I also have a problem when slowly accelerating, or cruising up the hill, and sometimes on the straight aways (but less noticable) that they haven't researched. The car seems to hesitate a bit, almost like it is missing. This happens between 1200 and 1900 RPM's. I wonder what is the problem. Could it be spark plugs or...???
So here are some other questions:
1.When cruising at 80, my RPM's are at 2800. Normal or not? My Expedition is at 2100 at the same speed.
2.How hard is to change some of those items by myself? Lexus charges arm and a leg for repairs.
3.Any good mechanics who are not so expensive in Los Angeles?
4.Where to get the parts from?
5.Also, i'm looking to get the "executive" kit from WALD. Does anyone know what would it cost to get the kit to Los Angeles, 90035 including the shipping?

I'm new to this club and the Lexus world. I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff (restored a 1969 Mustang myself), but I'm just starting to learn about the Lexus. I love this car, a big 4 door with a strong V-8...
So, if you could answer any of these questions, I woould greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by nadzak; 12-12-03 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-12-03, 06:14 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Instead of going into all the details of your question, I'll just give you the gist of it: Get rid of this car!!!
If you begin fixing it, you will have to sell your Expedition, just to pay for all the parts! This is not Mustang - there is no aftermarket for 99% of the parts you would need. For instance, the control arm bushings only come with control arms! A front upper control arm is around $300 - that's ONE control arm. You will end up spending many thousands of dollars, and after all, you will still have a car that's been abused by someone for 120000 miles!
Anyway, that's my advise to you.
If you are not convinced, check out THIS LINK. That should give you an idea of what parts cost.
Old 12-13-03, 06:58 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

If the car drives alright , except for the hesitation you mentioned, I would advise getting rid of it. Or just drive it the way it is . Keep the oil changed, fix the simple to fix leaks, you can tell that by looking. And just drive it. Many things a tech tells you are bad, sometimes translates to not perfect but usable good luck.
Old 12-13-03, 08:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Welcome to the Lexus family.

That is quite a list of stuff to check into. Sounds to me as if the previous owner did minimal maintenance and there is no telling what may pop up as you go. I'm 95% with Rice on dumping it. There are some fine samples that are well cared for out there. With this, the interior is obviously "used" and you have some possibly serious driveline issues.

If you enjoy a good project car, you've found one.
Old 12-14-03, 09:45 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello and welcome. I agree with the others. I would not spend a lot of $$$ on this car, as you will have more in it than it is worth- unless you got it for nearly nothing. Many parts are expensive for these cars.
For it to have all of these problems and 127K- it sounds like it was severly abused and/or seen very low maintainence. My 90 has 226K and is still nearly like new, but it was well cared for.

To go ahead and answer your RPM question- I would guess that is about right. I think my car is around 2100 rpm's at about 65 mph. I will have to check to be sure.
I know that my 92 Park Avenue and 98 Taurus run at low RPM's at higher speeds.

Is the car safely driveable as-is? If so, I would just give it a good tune-up, oil change, transmission fluid and filter change and drive it. I would at least get that steering fixed however.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 12-21-03, 11:00 PM
nadzak
Driver School Candidate

The car runs very nice for right now. The power steering is fixed and it is a pleasure to drive. The mounts and the rest of the rubber i have not touched. The engine runs nice, except for a hesitation in certain RPM's which I think it is the spark plugs. I also has a knock, or tick, or ... I wonder how dangerous that is. I read on one of these threads that it is normal for the higher mileage LS400 to have that sound I feel like I want to spend some money and fix the mounts and the ruber on the suspension, but I'm not sure about how much longer would the engine run. I hope forever...