LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How to test for AWD shudder on a test drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 11:01 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Also, I would look for auto transporters independently as often the dealer has a relationship with the transporter that adds to the price of transport. That white one hits all the prerequisites aside from being AWD and I bet there is room from the asking price.

And looking at the CarFax, you can tell these are Snowbirds who winter in Florida and drive North in Spring. Thus, no real worries about rust. If you can get it around $19,000, I would jump on it.

Heck, now that I spent $900 getting my dent fixed, I kinda have a hankering for an L model with Semi Aniline leather (not sure if this one has it), but if it does, I might look into it myself as I have 3 friends who have already offered me $20,000 for mine.
Also, went to the Lexus site, the brake actuator and upper and lower control arms were just done at just 10,000 miles ago. And the rest of the history looks great including full synthetic oil changes. And this is a one owner car with no air suspension!

I am telling you, there are not going to be that many out there with literally everything sans AWD with even having the $3900 UCA/LCA job done on the rear. This is a very well maintained car owned by rich folks (Naples, FL is one of the wealthiest places in the country) that spend its Winter's in Florida and spent its Summers up North which is the best of both worlds. No salt, no killer UV damage in the Summer. Hell, I am starting to talk myself into buying this one!
Jungle, I was re-reading some of your posts about the Tom Wood white LS 460L. Do you really think it can be negotiated to $19,000? They're asking almost $4,000 more than that. The KBB link, in the listing, suggests a "fair market price" of $22,000-22,500. Odd that the Carfax reports single-owner yet calculates an estimated length of ownership of 9 months. Must be an anomaly there.

I see what you're saying about the services in Naples, FL and how some common (and expensive) repairs have already been taken care of (UCA/LCA up front, brake actuator). Also good that all the recalls were taken care of and the "sticky dash" was replaced too. What's interesting is why the dealer made the following note in the ad description:

"This car is being sold as-is with a list available of recommended repairs. Car has been deemed safe to drive away as-is. Call for more details."

I sure hope the car is "safe to drive"! Couldn't they choose more reassuring language? I sent them a message requesting the list of recommended repairs since the service history appears to address all outstanding work already.

Lastly, I believe it does have the semi-aniline leather upgrade that you were wondering about (based on it having the leather on the door handles instead of the base rubber/plastic).

EDIT: Re-linking ad:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ink=true&Log=0

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-21-17 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 12:49 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Jungle, I was re-reading some of your posts about the Tom Wood white LS 460L. Do you really think it can be negotiated to $19,000? They're asking almost $4,000 more than that. The KBB link, in the listing, suggests a "fair market price" of $22,000-22,500. Odd that the Carfax reports single-owner yet calculates an estimated length of ownership of 9 months. Must be an anomaly there.

I see what you're saying about the services in Naples, FL and how some common (and expensive) repairs have already been taken care of (UCA/LCA up front, brake actuator). Also good that all the recalls were taken care of and the "sticky dash" was replaced too. What's interesting is why the dealer made the following note in the ad description:

"This car is being sold as-is with a list available of recommended repairs. Car has been deemed safe to drive away as-is. Call for more details."

I sure hope the car is "safe to drive"! Couldn't they choose more reassuring language? I sent them a message requesting the list of recommended repairs since the service history appears to address all outstanding work already.

Lastly, I believe it does have the semi-aniline leather upgrade that you were wondering about (based on it having the leather on the door handles instead of the base rubber/plastic).

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=447496335&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

That is odd. Looking at the records, I struggle to see what it could be. Maybe the 75,000 Service? Or perhaps tires? That said, there is a 2009 GS350 that offers a 3 Month Warranty as I thought it might be a way to get more out of a buyer. That said, the majority of the other cars I saw " This unit just arrived and is currently going through our inspection process".

One thing I am pretty confident about given the service history and the fact the price is not abnormally low is that is that I would be a huge shock if there was something major wrong with it. Just makes no sense for a Lexus dealer to sell a car that after fees will cost close to $25,000 and priced within comparables to need something major.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I will call them later this morning to get the scoop on this one. Looking at the CarFax, it would seem it is due for the 75k Service as it shows the maintenance computer was reset and the last service was at 70,887 with jives with it needing the 75k Service. Might be a perfect thing to negotiate on along with the 3000 warranty.
Old 01-22-17, 01:08 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ink=true&Log=0

That is odd. Looking at the records, I struggle to see what it could be. Maybe the 75,000 Service? Or perhaps tires? That said, there is a 2009 GS350 that offers a 3 Month Warranty as I thought it might be a way to get more out of a buyer.

One thing I am pretty confident about given the service history and the fact the price is not abnormally low is that is that it would be a huge shock if there was something majorly wrong with it. Just makes no sense for a Lexus dealer to sell a car that after fees will cost close to $25,000 and priced within comparables to need something major.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I will call them later this morning to get the scoop on this one. Looking at the CarFax, it would seem it is due for the 75k Service as it shows the maintenance computer was reset and the last service was at 70,887 with jives with it needing the 75k Service. Might be a perfect thing to negotiate on along with the 3000 warranty.
Old 01-22-17, 01:14 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

My totally unsolicited guess is that when the right car comes along and FatherTo1 is ready to buy, he will persuade his family to support the purchase. It's just a matter of time before the stars align.

Personally, I wouldn't make a car purchase without seeing the car and driving it, even if it had a thorough PPI performed. It took a while, but I eventually found a desirable California car that was within a few hours drive of me. If that's important to OP, it will eventually happen for him, too.
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (01-23-17)
Old 01-23-17, 10:11 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Jungle, it appears the "as-is" in the description was posted before the car completed inspection. The dealer also said "as-is" also indicates no warranty and not L-Certified (obviously).

Post-inspection, the only things they felt needed fixing was machining rotors to address some brake vibration and they replaced the front headlight washer cover. I've attached the PDF of the report.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P7600.pdf (548.2 KB, 127 views)