LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Can anyone recommend good hid replacement bulbs ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 03:45 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Home Depot is pretty good when you need a D4S bulb.
Old 01-18-17, 07:28 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are reviews from many users if you do a Google search, that had goos long life results with generic china types.

Originally Posted by superdenso
Home Depot is pretty good when you need a D4S bulb.
Old 01-18-17, 08:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

No way in the world I would put $17 HID bulbs into a $1,500 lamp housing.
Old 01-18-17, 08:46 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone here tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-480.../dp/B01I3GKI0O

I'd be curious to how they'd worked in our carriages...
Old 01-18-17, 09:05 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sapstar66
Has anyone here tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-480.../dp/B01I3GKI0O

I'd be curious to how they'd worked in our carriages...
After taking a look at these and just completing an OEM ballast replacement on my LS, these would probably work, however, im thinking you would receive an AFS Adaptive Front Lighting System) error.
In the photo on Amazon, it shows that you have to tuck the ballast inside the headlight housing, then place the dust cover back on.
The space in the housing isn't very ample, and that's with the cover off.
Im not 100% sure, but if you try to tuck that small ballast box inside that already small area, then place the cap on, whenever you turn on your headlights and go to take a left or right hand turn and the AFS motor tries to turn the lens, it wont be able to turn/move freely and you'll very likely receive an error on your dash.
The way to bypass the feature is to turn it off, but you'll always see the "AFS OFF" light illuminated on the dash, and I personally don't like unnecessary lights showing, but that's just me.
If you decide to go with these lights and if you desire to turn the AFS function off, be sure to turn it off BEFORE you turn the headlights on and make a turn, or the light will blink until you turn the car off and turn it back on.
Old 01-18-17, 05:04 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

after installing LEDs in my truck, I will not spend any more money on HID lamps. They are markedly inferior to me. So I say go for the upgrade, just find a kit that separates from the ballast so you can mount the hardware outside the headlamp cover. ENJOY!
Old 01-18-17, 11:48 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Do any of you guys know what caused the original osram hid bulbs to intermittently go out ? Was it a loose connection ? Did the original hid bulb lose connectivity as it got older ?

Rather than say oh no china made no good, how about we get to understand what is happening?
what is the measurement that made it intermittently not function ?
Old 01-19-17, 05:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

It just wore out. Nothing lasts forever.

But the fact is that a poor quality bulb can cause a lot of damage to an expensive headlight assembly.
Old 01-19-17, 07:45 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
Do any of you guys know what caused the original osram hid bulbs to intermittently go out ? Was it a loose connection ? Did the original hid bulb lose connectivity as it got older ?

Rather than say oh no china made no good, how about we get to understand what is happening?
what is the measurement that made it intermittently not function ?
I don't think anyone is necessarily "bad-mouthing" Chinese products -- in this case, Chinese made HID bulbs, it is a combination of variables which can make these go bad.

Speaking to what Steve said, yes-sometimes its just that simple. Other times its a badly manufactured batch, sometimes its a malfunctioning ballast, sometimes its just a cheaply made bulb.

As far as "understanding what's happening", I find that digging around a bit and doing a little research to find information on subjects that I don't quite understand, can often provide me with information so that I can come to some sort of educated conclusion. That and asking questions.

Here is a little something I found while searching... It doesn't quite address the exact mechanicals, measurements and failure modes of an HID bulb, and the article is a little dated, but still something I thought to be a good source of information.

https://priuschat.com/threads/not-al...-equal.101472/
Old 01-19-17, 01:16 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Thanks for the link. Great info.

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I don't think anyone is necessarily "bad-mouthing" Chinese products -- in this case, Chinese made HID bulbs, it is a combination of variables which can make these go bad.

Speaking to what Steve said, yes-sometimes its just that simple. Other times its a badly manufactured batch, sometimes its a malfunctioning ballast, sometimes its just a cheaply made bulb.

As far as "understanding what's happening", I find that digging around a bit and doing a little research to find information on subjects that I don't quite understand, can often provide me with information so that I can come to some sort of educated conclusion. That and asking questions.

Here is a little something I found while searching... It doesn't quite address the exact mechanicals, measurements and failure modes of an HID bulb, and the article is a little dated, but still something I thought to be a good source of information.

https://priuschat.com/threads/not-al...-equal.101472/
Old 01-19-17, 02:03 PM
dnthrtme1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2007 and I replaced both of the headlight bulbs with Maxlux brand bulbs. They are 6000k and look excellent, slight amount of blue to match the fog lights, very bright! I got them on amazon and its a d4s bulb here is the link to what I bought
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I paid $41.99 free prime shipping
Old 01-20-17, 03:44 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

also just to help other's looking to DIY, you do not need to remove the wheels. What u do need to do is jack the car up at each corner so that you can get your arms in there, that and u need to turn the wheels inward depending on which side you are working on.
Old 01-20-17, 04:29 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
also just to help other's looking to DIY, you do not need to remove the wheels. What u do need to do is jack the car up at each corner so that you can get your arms in there, that and u need to turn the wheels inward depending on which side you are working on.
That's true but why bother trying to work and angle around the wheel? Removing the wheels takes all of 5 minutes and makes the job way easier. I wouldn't suggest trying to do it with the wheels on as it was tricky enough with them off. From start to finish it took me less than an hour to do both bulbs.
Old 01-20-17, 05:13 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Im a complete DIY noob, so believe me when i say u dont need to remove the wheel.

only somewhat tricky part is when u open the round gray cover and twisting the ballast socket and un pining the little clamps to the bulb.

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
That's true but why bother trying to work and angle around the wheel? Removing the wheels takes all of 5 minutes and makes the job way easier. I wouldn't suggest trying to do it with the wheels on as it was tricky enough with them off. From start to finish it took me less than an hour to do both bulbs.