LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will brake hold feature cause more brake wear out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 08:54 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will brake hold feature cause more brake wear out?

Normally, your foot is completely off the brake before you apply on the gas paddle, but in brake hold mode, the brake is still on when you begin to press the gas paddle. Will that cause more brake wear out in brake hold mode every time you get the car moving?
Old 11-28-16, 04:02 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I don't think so, you can clearly feel it disengage. I think the brake drag is very minimal.

Think about out how many times you apply your brakes a day, for me it's got to be at least 60 times a day. And that's taking a 5,000 pound vehicle and brining it to a stop at random speeds (sometimes high speeds). It's nothing for the brake pads to handle the demands of the brake hold function.
Old 11-28-16, 04:11 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've read the brake hold feature applies 80% of the brake power to hold the car. I agree with Double. I can't see it doing anything meaningful at all. I don't think it drags much at all.
Old 11-28-16, 09:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Does the HOLD feature use the brake disc pads or does it use the parking brake? I know that if the HOLD feature stays on long enough (3 minutes?) it will set the parking brake, but I'm not sure which is actually holding the car.
Old 11-29-16, 07:18 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting but I would say they work together. I use the brake hold on some steep hills in Hot Springs to take pictures and it works great without any of those rare creeping sounds that I have heard..
Old 11-30-16, 10:55 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Does the HOLD feature use the brake disc pads or does it use the parking brake? I know that if the HOLD feature stays on long enough (3 minutes?) it will set the parking brake, but I'm not sure which is actually holding the car.
It uses the service brakes. I don't believe it will increase the brake wear at all. But what it *may* do, is cause the rotors to warp sooner for some drivers. If you're a driver that likes to gas it until the brakes must be applied (no coasting) and you prefer to brake hard to a stop instead of slowing more gradually ... if you're that kind of driver and you come to a stop and the brake hold then holds the brake pads in contact with that one spot for the duration of your stop, the heat of the pads will be focused into that one spot on the rotor.

Do I think this will necessarily warp the rotors any sooner? No. But it could. Do I think it is worth sweating over? No. I like the brake hold function, use it all the time. If I ever feel like I just pulled a fast stop, I click it off and let it roll a bit and drag the pads across the rotor. It makes me feel like I'm doing some good, whether I am or not.
Old 11-30-16, 11:29 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I have always been told to NOT keep the brakes applied with full pressure while stopped because it will damage the rotors..... I am sure (hopefully) the Lexus engineers took this into consideration when they engineered this brake hold feature.
I have taken defensive driving instruction (high speed evasive maneuvers, skids, panic braking, etc.) on a race track with "street cars" and the instructors always said: "When you come in after driving the track DO NOT apply the emergency brake and keep your foot off the brake ..... just leave the car in park".
Let me tell you that when I came in from the road course you could smell the brakes burning on a Ford Crown Vic and Dodge Charger..... I wish I had a temperature gun handy to read the rotor temps.
Old 12-02-16, 06:40 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No to original question. Brake hold uses 'normal' pistons to hold, not p-brake. Isolation valve in the ABS unit creates (or 'holds') the pressure.