LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Advise Needed Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 01:02 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Advise Needed Please

Ok so today I stopped at O'reilly auto parts to pick up a tube of grease to service my 90 Bronco II. Standing at the counter checking out are 2 guys in Lexus Service shirts. I am like oh who do you guys work for? Now I live in North West Arkansas where there are a ton of Lexus automobiles (Wal-mart Home Office) but no Lexus dealership. The closet would be Lexus of Tulsa, OK (100 miles West) or Reliable Lexus in Springfield, MO a (124 miles NE). So in talking to these guys they tell me they were Lexus Techs at Lexus of Tulsa and started their own business here in NWA as mobile Lexus service techs. I checked with the BBB and they have no reports on this company but that is because they only started the business in September 2016 and the reporting is based on a 36 month period. So I said I have a 2010 LS 460L and I was coming up on 60k and it was time to change the spark plugs, that I had the OEM plugs and what would they charge to change them out. He said they would charge me $125 with me providing the spark plugs and they would come to me. So what do you think? Would you trust your LS with these guys? He gave me a business card which shows all the info and has the ASE certified seal (which I know does not mean anything as anyone can print up a business card). They only have 3 postings on Facebook/Google and all 3 were 5 stars.

Thoughts please

Dennis
Old 11-04-16, 01:14 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I guess its the researcher in me, or perhaps the inclination to refer to past scenarios, but I would perform a bit of due diligence, such as obtaining their names (as it seems you already have) and call the dealership where they stated they were formerly employed and speak to management about their capabilities and character while employed there.

I understand this may be viewed as a skeptical approach by some, however it could possibly yield great results. Other than asking for references to contact, that may prove to be your only recourse in terms of obtaining any background.

I understand that people have to start from somewhere, but in my opinion, if you are starting a business, I'd like to assume that you want your business to be viewed as a trustworthy operation, so people can build and establish a certain level of trust in you, your capabilities and the services you provide.

All this to say that, they should be more than willing to provide any additional information regarding their past to assist you in feeling comfortable about allowing them to perform any work on your vehicle.

This as well as a solid understanding of their warranty policies as well as liability coverage(s).
Old 11-04-16, 01:30 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

CRowe14

I see your point but I cannot imagine that Lexus of Tulsa or for that matter any other company is going to provide any personal information on former employees good or bad unless that request was based on them being listed on a job application as a reference? I will ask for references but a lot folks do not look kindly on a company giving out their names without permission much less their private phone numbers. As indicated in my original post they do have 3 5 star reviews on Facebook/Google already which is something I am not inclined to do myself. Their webpage/facebook does say 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed for what ever that is worth?

Dennis

Last edited by DJWLDW; 11-04-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-05-16, 12:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I'd be inclined to give them a shot. My mechanic was a Lexus master tech who started his own shop and he's great.
Old 11-05-16, 01:59 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Thanks Steve. Did you know your guy before you used him for the first time on your LS? Did you call his old Lexus dealership and check him out? I am just trying to get a feeling for what the folks think about the risk and reward. Seems like folks are always looking for a good independent shop to use.

Dennis
Old 11-05-16, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nope, I didn't know him and didn't call the dealer, I'm sure the dealer wouldn't vouch for somebody who is going to take business away from them. He had a physical shop though and some reviews, etc.
Old 11-05-16, 03:28 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I'd give them a shot, it's not like criminals generally put on Lexus shirts and hang out in parts stores to get to know their victims.
Old 11-05-16, 03:40 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change spark plugs on v8 is around 2 hours work. So the price should be 2 x shop hourly rate

usually I will start with small job and start from there. Not sure if changing plugs is small job or not. What if something drops into the engine?
Old 11-05-16, 04:22 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

2v1g

Lexus will tell you it is a 3 plus hour job to change the plugs on a LS, while some guys here on the forum can do it under 2. I am giving these guys some serious thought.

Dennis
Old 11-05-16, 04:50 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
2v1g

Lexus will tell you it is a 3 plus hour job to change the plugs on a LS, while some guys here on the forum can do it under 2. I am giving these guys some serious thought.

Dennis
The plugs are a relatively easy job on these cars, and once you've done it a few times, it's even easier. I bet a Lexus tech can do it in under an hour easily...they'd be using their cordless impact drivers to get them out...they wouldn't break a sweat.
Old 11-05-16, 05:22 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

2v1g

Dennis
No, not 3 hrs. I also need to change the plugs too, so I ask my local Lexus dealer, they said $190 if I provide plugs myself. I also ask the independent shop, they checked the book and said that is 1.9 hour job
Old 11-05-16, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2v1g
No, not 3 hrs. I also need to change the plugs too, so I ask my local Lexus dealer, they said $190 if I provide plugs myself. I also ask the independent shop, they checked the book and said that is 1.9 hour job
The shop rate at my dealer is $150 an hour. So even 2 hours thats $300.

I would ask them whether or not they have insurance...thats a good thing to know since they don't have a physical location.
Old 11-05-16, 07:45 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

2v1g

Man if you can get it done for $190 plus you buying the plugs you should jump all over that

Lexus of Omaha wants $515 plus tax and they provide the plugs at $18.xx each. Quoted 3.25 hours of labor

Lexus of Tulsa wants $639 plus tax and they provide the plugs at the same $18.xx each and they also quoted 3.25 hours

Reliable Lexus of Springfield, MO will do it for $379 and $10 shop fees plus tax if I bring the plugs also quoted 3 hours of labor

I ordered the OEM plugs from Rockauto for $9.xx each or $78.xx something for all 8

Jump on that $190 plus $78 and taxes according to everyone who has posted a quote from a dealership that my friend is a steal.

Dennis
Old 11-05-16, 09:10 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

2v1g

Man if you can get it done for $190 plus you buying the plugs you should jump all over that

Lexus of Omaha wants $515 plus tax and they provide the plugs at $18.xx each. Quoted 3.25 hours of labor

Lexus of Tulsa wants $639 plus tax and they provide the plugs at the same $18.xx each and they also quoted 3.25 hours

Reliable Lexus of Springfield, MO will do it for $379 and $10 shop fees plus tax if I bring the plugs also quoted 3 hours of labor

I ordered the OEM plugs from Rockauto for $9.xx each or $78.xx something for all 8

Jump on that $190 plus $78 and taxes according to everyone who has posted a quote from a dealership that my friend is a steal.

Dennis
that is the quote I get in email from service manager of local Lexus dealer in Canada. It is CAD$250 and usd$190. It is about 2 hrs job x cad$125 per hour. Usd$65 for 460 oil change. One thing I like Lexus service is beside loaner car, they can also pick your car and return your car back to you when the job is done. Independent shop charge the same rate as Toyota dealer in my area, so I will do my work in Toyota or Lexus, no incentive to go to independent shop
Old 11-05-16, 09:16 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

I want to change the seeping struts, spark plugs, but my 460 is in the body shop since oct 3 for tiny deer damages. I am stuck with Hyundai Accent for a month now

Quick Reply: Advise Needed Please