LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My new car

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 06:18 PM
rssumme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for such a warm welcome guys!! I haven't picked it up yet as it's in a state far far away. But I can't wait to begin the road trip with it. I'm already planning to repair the wind issue. It seems pretty easy. Who all has done it themselves?? Did it resolve for you?
Old 10-04-16, 06:22 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you test drive the car before you bought it?
Old 10-04-16, 06:31 PM
rssumme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2v1g
Have you test drive the car before you bought it?
Yes I did. I happened to be in town for a football game when I was looking. It drove like a bunker floating in marshmallow clouds. No leak evidence on any of the air shocks. As I said, I couldn't tell it wasn't a brand new one on the show
room floor. Maybe 3 tiny scratches on the entire car. All of which should polish right out. I'll fly back out next week and drive 11 hours back home. Should be an easy drive and I can't wait!!
Old 10-04-16, 06:38 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by rssumme
Thanks for such a warm welcome guys!! I haven't picked it up yet as it's in a state far far away. But I can't wait to begin the road trip with it. I'm already planning to repair the wind issue. It seems pretty easy. Who all has done it themselves?? Did it resolve for you?
Just to be clear: Not all of the cars had the wind noise problem. If your car doesn't have a problem, you shouldn't be fixing on it. The cars are so exceptionally quiet, when all is well, there should be little possibility that you will think that you have a problem when you don't. If you think your car may have a wind noise problem, then it probably does.
Old 10-04-16, 06:48 PM
rssumme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Just to be clear: Not all of the cars had the wind noise problem. If your car doesn't have a problem, you shouldn't be fixing on it. The cars are so exceptionally quiet, when all is well, there should be little possibility that you will think that you have a problem when you don't. If you think your car may have a wind noise problem, then it probably does.
It definitely does. It was quite clear at around 80 mph on my test drive. Not anything that the mark Levinson couldn't easily mask, but I'd rather go ahead and fix it. I'm very DIY minded and love to tinker with new toys. Should be easy...
Old 10-05-16, 02:33 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Radar-controlled cruise control:

I don't use CC much as it is, but even though I drive at or just over the posted speed limit (depending on what posted is), I run a Valentine 1. I do not want anything interfering with it. Plus, I know I'm smoother than any cruise control, as I can see terrain/traffic changes before it can.

It's more a personal thing, really. I consider the best cruise control I've ever had on a car is the electric, not vacuum, cruise on the '89 W126 (S-class) Mercedes and the '95 W124 (E-class) Mercedes. Super smooth.

Best of all time, however, is that which is on the Freightliner XC-chassis motorcoach we have. Air-actuated, and even with the batteries disconnected for months at at time, the computer remembers where I set it, last (58.5 MPH). It will not kick off unless speed drops below 25 MPH, IIRC, and long before then, I'm all over the lack of velocity thing.

Driving a 40' long, almost 30K lb. machine, which is towing another 4,500 lb. '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9L behind it (making the combo about 58' long) absolutely demands you pay attention to almost imperceptible changes in terrain.

Regardless, the best CC is, IMO, a constant throttle input, not necessarily a constant speed.
Old 10-05-16, 08:24 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is your remote controller for audio/video system? It should be visible in 4th photo (or did you remove it from the box before taking a shot)?
Old 10-05-16, 11:12 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ManXP
Where is your remote controller for audio/video system? It should be visible in 4th photo (or did you remove it from the box before taking a shot)?
I don't think his car has the DVD system. He didn't mention it anywhere. Although it seems like most cars as heavily optioned as his would normally have that option also...
Old 10-05-16, 12:09 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Radar-controlled cruise control:

I don't use CC much as it is, but even though I drive at or just over the posted speed limit (depending on what posted is), I run a Valentine 1. I do not want anything interfering with it. Plus, I know I'm smoother than any cruise control, as I can see terrain/traffic changes before it can.
Mckellyb - I haven't ran my Valentine 1 in my LS (yet). But I hear the radar CC does not set it off. However, if it does, there's a very simple solution already built in! Instead of pulling backward on the cruise stalk which cancels cruise, you push the opposite way (forward) and the cruise control system switches to traditional cruise mode ... NO RADAR! I run it on traditional most of the time, because the radar cruise, even at maximum following distance reacts later than I do. But I am using it more and more, because you never know when another driver may do something erratic, and I may have glanced off the instance before. Then the system would have a reaction maybe before I would.

rssumme - I bought the same model as you, all but the Executive. Mine is a 2010 model. When I drove it away, it had 13,800 miles. It now has 26k! Mine is Charcoal Granite (I think that's the name of the color) same as yours, but mine has dark tinted windows and 19" chrome 5 spokes. See my Avatar. Get you some 4LS Exhaust Vents on it and you'll be tickled silly every time you crank it!!!

Congrats on such a good find and great car!!!

7milesout
Old 10-05-16, 12:36 PM
rssumme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ManXP
This one does not have a rear screen/DVD option. I assumed it came only with the executive option. I will be adding something after market though because I have 2 nine year olds. (:
Old 10-05-16, 12:43 PM
rssumme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Mckellyb - I haven't ran my Valentine 1 in my LS (yet). But I hear the radar CC does not set it off. However, if it does, there's a very simple solution already built in! Instead of pulling backward on the cruise stalk which cancels cruise, you push the opposite way (forward) and the cruise control system switches to traditional cruise mode ... NO RADAR! I run it on traditional most of the time, because the radar cruise, even at maximum following distance reacts later than I do. But I am using it more and more, because you never know when another driver may do something erratic, and I may have glanced off the instance before. Then the system would have a reaction maybe before I would.

rssumme - I bought the same model as you, all but the Executive. Mine is a 2010 model. When I drove it away, it had 13,800 miles. It now has 26k! Mine is Charcoal Granite (I think that's the name of the color) same as yours, but mine has dark tinted windows and 19" chrome 5 spokes. See my Avatar. Get you some 4LS Exhaust Vents on it and you'll be tickled silly every time you crank it!!!

Congrats on such a good find and great car!!!

7milesout
I have the original window sticker and it shows the color as VERDIGRIS MICA. Its sort of greyish with a green tint in the sunlight. I really like it even though I was searching for a silver one. It looks better in person.

What is a 4LS vent? Tell me more...
Old 10-05-16, 01:31 PM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the original window sticker and it shows the color as VERDIGRIS MICA. Its sort of greyish with a green tint in the sunlight. I really like it even though I was searching for a silver one. It looks better in person.

What is a 4LS vent? Tell me more...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...ust-vents.html

Makes it a little louder. Some love it but I like my LS460L to be quiet. Nice ride by the way! Great find!
Old 10-05-16, 01:41 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

This one does not have a rear screen/DVD option. I assumed it came only with the executive option. I will be adding something after market though because I have 2 nine year olds. (:
You don't have to buy video stuff, you can play videos on the Mark Levinson. But you will need the Beat-Sonic Navigation / DVD Bypass Module.

Jason Oliver
Old 10-05-16, 01:45 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robb92914
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...ust-vents.html

Makes it a little louder. Some love it but I like my LS460L to be quiet. Nice ride by the way! Great find!
Rob,

Your white color with tinted windows is just THE BOSS!
Old 10-05-16, 04:52 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow congrats on the "new" car.

I looked for about a year to find mine but you really found a jewel.

Enjoy all the wonderful features and options. They really are amazing.

Take care,

Cubby

Quick Reply: My new car