LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Extending an Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 06:54 PM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extending an Extended Warranty

Hi everyone. I have a 2008 LS 460L w 64000 miles. All the major repairs done, including the Control arms. Will be coming out of extended warranty in a few months and car still rides like the day I got it. Can I purchase an extension of extended warranty? It was an 8yr warranty. Car purchased in 2009. Thanks.
Old 09-28-16, 07:29 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcd
Hi everyone. I have a 2008 LS 460L w 64000 miles. All the major repairs done, including the Control arms. Will be coming out of extended warranty in a few months and car still rides like the day I got it. Can I purchase an extension of extended warranty? It was an 8yr warranty. Car purchased in 2009. Thanks.
I am sure you can find a company to sell you an extended warranty. If you are asking whether Lexus will sell you another extended warranty before your current one expires, my guess would be no. You could contact Toby Rivers at Shreveport Lexus about this.

Looks like the car has been really good to you. Do you think you recouped the investment in the extended warranty through the repairs? The CAs can be fixed cheap if they go bad again, so you don't need another warranty for that. Does your LWB have air suspension? Has that been replaced? How about the brake actuator? If these parts are still the original ones, it may make sense to get another warranty, otherwise save your money.
Old 09-28-16, 10:34 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Exclamation

Fairly low mileage for an "08 and I'm sure you can purchase another warranty from several companies but an extension of your present warranty is probably history. Parts will break down or fail and there's nothing cheap about Lexus parts.
Old 09-29-16, 03:22 AM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Car has been fairly good to me. It has had fuel rails, valve springs, wind noise fix (which worked so-so), brake actuator replaced, water pump, air suspension had to at least be adjusted a few years back-not sure about replacement. All in all, I've had more problems with the car than I expected. But all in line with what I've read here.
I guess I can take to a local mechanic or dealer.
Old 09-29-16, 08:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Car has been fairly good to me. It has had fuel rails, valve springs, wind noise fix (which worked so-so), brake actuator replaced, water pump, air suspension had to at least be adjusted a few years back-not sure about replacement. All in all, I've had more problems with the car than I expected. But all in line with what I've read here.
I guess I can take to a local mechanic or dealer.
Many of those things were covered by recalls. So other than the suspension and water pump, what do you consider "problems"?
Old 09-30-16, 09:29 AM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Called the dealer about extending extended warranty. Additional 2/24 is $2700. 3/36 is $3550. Pretty cool that I can extend warranty to the 11yr mark.

I did not expect to have recalls such fuel rails, valve springs. Very invasive repairs. Then the others w actuators, air noise and control arms seem to be near universal problems with this car.
I've been very satisfied with the car because of excellent service. if it were not for the superior service I wouldn't have been so happy.
Old 09-30-16, 10:03 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Called the dealer about extending extended warranty. Additional 2/24 is $2700. 3/36 is $3550. Pretty cool that I can extend warranty to the 11yr mark.

I did not expect to have recalls such fuel rails, valve springs. Very invasive repairs. Then the others w actuators, air noise and control arms seem to be near universal problems with this car.
I've been very satisfied with the car because of excellent service. if it were not for the superior service I wouldn't have been so happy.
Well, I guess I come at it from a different angle. Lexus is covering "potential issues"....not neccessarily a problem...but "potential" problem. That is important to me. On the flip side, look at my previous BMW 7 series. HOSTS and HOSTS of issues that were pretty much suffered by every owner at Bimmerfest. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars for various issues like burning oil due to valve seals. Undersized ports in the engine that caused coke/carbon build up and rendereed cars impossible to pass smog emissions tests unless an engine tear-down was conducted. Coolant pipe seals that were buried inside the engine requiring replacement every 50k miles or so (to the tune of several thousand). Guess what? NOT ONE recall on that car EVER. Be thankful Lexus is going to bat for you.......BMW (and it seems most other "flagship" marques) certainly are not. Fuel rails are not invasive. Valve springs? Meh....not really.

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-30-16 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 03:05 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well, I guess I come at it from a different angle. Lexus is covering "potential issues"....not neccessarily a problem...but "potential" problem. That is important to me. On the flip side, look at my previous BMW 7 series. HOSTS and HOSTS of issues that were pretty much suffered by every owner at Bimmerfest. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars for various issues like burning oil due to valve seals. Undersized ports in the engine that caused coke/carbon build up and rendereed cars impossible to pass smog emissions tests unless an engine tear-down was conducted. Coolant pipe seals that were buried inside the engine requiring replacement every 50k miles or so (to the tune of several thousand). Guess what? NOT ONE recall on that car EVER. Be thankful Lexus is going to bat for you.......BMW (and it seems most other "flagship" marques) certainly are not. Fuel rails are not invasive. Valve springs? Meh....not really.
I dare say most automobile manufacturers would not have done the fuel rail, idler pulley and valve spring recall at all. From everything I could see it was proactive on their part to spare the maybe 2% of owners who would actually experience a failure.
Old 10-01-16, 05:10 AM
mrcd
Driver School Candidate

Excellent points that Lexus has stepped up. That's why I'm having such a tough time parting with the Lexus brand. I'm holding out for the remodeled LS. Besides, got 2 in colllege now and Holy Cr@p!! Even when you plan, the older they get the more expensive they get.
Old 10-01-16, 07:28 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Even when you plan, the older they get the more expensive they get.
That's true with a lot of other people (I hope my wife doesn't read this) and things too!