LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 engine and exhaust problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-16, 03:08 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Who did you buy the car from? Private party or a dealer? Just curious because if it were me I would banging down that door.

In any case, glad part of it was addressed. Hopefully your suspension gets fixed.

You go to Lexus website and enter the VIN to pull service history?
Old 12-26-16, 03:14 AM
ChrisM2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
That's amazing that you got Lexus to cover most of the costs for an engine replacement when the car is 10 years old, especially way out in Estonia, that's really cool

I am always suspect though when I hear these stories...a simple vsc light leads you to bring the car into the dealer.. and your car goes from having a minor issue to a full blown engine failure , and we are supposed to take their word on it.

Now you get the car back and the air suspension has given out ....... Id really stop bringing my car into these guys.

(disclaimer- I hate most mechanics, and do not trust them , so my opinion may be a little biased)
Yeah, they covered some of the cost and tried really hard to find parts with good prices. Also they shouldn't suggest second hand parts at all but made an exception for me because new engine price would be probably insane. Anyway I know I was told that something might be wrong with the sensors but now there is a complete failure because last time I tried, the car did not lift the right side at all. I hope it's not the compressor or bags. I also did a reset by disconnecting the battery but that only helped for like 10 minutes, after that the front right corner dropped down again.

I would find different mechanics but in Estonia we only have the official dealership, noone else is specialized in Lexus. Would someone know a good place to order parts inside EU?
Old 12-26-16, 03:58 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Hello,
Hope all is well in Estonia. The Baltics are beautiful. So sorry to read about your issues. While the air suspension is not a huge surprise, the engine is a mind blower. I too am quite curious about the previous owner. Could it perhaps have been used in a limousine/upper end taxi situation? Just seems like the poor car was flogged prior to your purchase.

The good news is the worst part is over and you now have a solid engine. Hopefully, you can find used (low mileage) air springs from elsewhere. I believe that all the LS's in Europe were configured ultra loaded and all have/had the air suspension whereas many of us here do not. Once the shocks are figured out, you really should be able to enjoy the car greatly.
Old 12-26-16, 04:21 AM
ChrisM2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Hello,
Hope all is well in Estonia. The Baltics are beautiful. So sorry to read about your issues. While the air suspension is not a huge surprise, the engine is a mind blower. I too am quite curious about the previous owner. Could it perhaps have been used in a limousine/upper end taxi situation? Just seems like the poor car was flogged prior to your purchase.

The good news is the worst part is over and you now have a solid engine. Hopefully, you can find used (low mileage) air springs from elsewhere. I believe that all the LS's in Europe were configured ultra loaded and all have/had the air suspension whereas many of us here do not. Once the shocks are figured out, you really should be able to enjoy the car greatly.
Thanks for all the good wishes! Yes I hope the worst is over and the air suspension problem won't cost a fortune to fix.
Old 12-27-16, 04:20 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

You might want to go the cheap route and just install regular struts instead of paying thousands to fix the air ride

As far as I know its as simple as swapping in the struts and removing the fuses for the air suspension so you don't get any error messages popping up on the dash

I am considering swapping in coilovers to save myself the hassle of air, not sure yet though because I really like the sport mode in the oem air suspension
Old 12-28-16, 03:01 PM
ChrisM2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
You might want to go the cheap route and just install regular struts instead of paying thousands to fix the air ride

As far as I know its as simple as swapping in the struts and removing the fuses for the air suspension so you don't get any error messages popping up on the dash

I am considering swapping in coilovers to save myself the hassle of air, not sure yet though because I really like the sport mode in the oem air suspension
I was thinking about that but most of my LS' air suspensions system is in good order and I really like the adjustability of it. Maybe when something fails big time I will do the conversion.

Anyway I got my car back from the dealer and they said that front right height sensor is damaged because they found some oxidation on the sensors cable contacts. They cleaned it and told me that it probably won't last very long. We have really bad weather here in Estonia and I've heard that the sensors are not very well sealed and are open to the elements. Is there a point to try to find a secondhand sensor or should I just let the dealership order a new one for 400 euros?