LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cover Services on Certified Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 01:36 PM
Greg Shah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cover Services on Certified Lexus

This is my second cerified Lexus.

All service work other than oil changes and wear items were always totally covered by the warranty. I never had a problem.

My latest car, a certified LS460L, has had some minor issues. My AC started blowing warm air. They tested for a leak but could not locate one. They recharged the system and the problem was solved. However, since they did not locate the leak, I was charged for this service.

Then my brakes started making a very strange noise. Apparently, the calipers slides were sticking and the tech fixed the problem. Once again, I was charged for this work even though it was not a worn part issue.

I was never charged for anything like these issues on my first car. Why am I being charged now? Are other owners experiencing charges like these?

Thanks,
Old 07-06-16, 02:40 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

A few days after I purchased my '13 LS CPO, I noticed that the alignment was way off. I bought my CPO checklist saying that the alignment was fine over to a local dealer who then corrected the alignment (done improperly at the original, out of state dealership where I purchased) and the local dealer insisted on charging me or suggested going back to the original dealer. I protested and got the alignment for half price. It was the best I could do, unfortunately.

Did you take your LS to the dealer that sold you the car? It shouldn't matter, but it often does when the service writer wants to use it as justification to charge you. Hopefully if something major malfunctions, you won't get the same bs. Can you try a different dealer next time?
Old 07-07-16, 08:22 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Shah
This is my second cerified Lexus.

All service work other than oil changes and wear items were always totally covered by the warranty. I never had a problem.

My latest car, a certified LS460L, has had some minor issues. My AC started blowing warm air. They tested for a leak but could not locate one. They recharged the system and the problem was solved. However, since they did not locate the leak, I was charged for this service.

Then my brakes started making a very strange noise. Apparently, the calipers slides were sticking and the tech fixed the problem. Once again, I was charged for this work even though it was not a worn part issue.

I was never charged for anything like these issues on my first car. Why am I being charged now? Are other owners experiencing charges like these?

Thanks,
Greg,

Refrigerant isn't covered under CPO and I think even the new car warranty doesn't cover it. Caliper slide bolts, same thing, it's considered routine maintenance. Now, had you just bought the car from our store I'd have covered it internally but it would depend on how long ago we sold the car... If you bought the car 2 years and 35K miles ago.. no. Last month or two? Yes.

Originally Posted by droclex
A few days after I purchased my '13 LS CPO, I noticed that the alignment was way off. I bought my CPO checklist saying that the alignment was fine over to a local dealer who then corrected the alignment (done improperly at the original, out of state dealership where I purchased) and the local dealer insisted on charging me or suggested going back to the original dealer. I protested and got the alignment for half price. It was the best I could do, unfortunately.

Did you take your LS to the dealer that sold you the car? It shouldn't matter, but it often does when the service writer wants to use it as justification to charge you. Hopefully if something major malfunctions, you won't get the same bs. Can you try a different dealer next time?
The alignment would only be covered by the new car warranty for, I think, the first 12 months or 12,000 miles so if it wasn't performed correctly then the original selling dealer would be responsible.

Look at it from your local dealer's perspective: You bought a car from another dealer, they screwed up, and you want ME to pay for it? I would assume that the discount was a goodwill gesture on their part.

Also, coverage on a car depends on whether or not the car is within the 4/50 or the CPO portion of coverage.
Old 07-08-16, 07:39 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 296 Likes on 260 Posts

When Lexus were starting out, they went overboard on customer service/satisfaction. Today, they are just like any other car manufacturer. I've noticed customer service go down the crapper over the last 5 years. They key is your dealer - if they are good, they will stand behind the product. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer would appear to fall into this category today.
Old 07-08-16, 09:46 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Greg,

Refrigerant isn't covered under CPO and I think even the new car warranty doesn't cover it. Caliper slide bolts, same thing, it's considered routine maintenance. Now, had you just bought the car from our store I'd have covered it internally but it would depend on how long ago we sold the car... If you bought the car 2 years and 35K miles ago.. no. Last month or two? Yes.

The alignment would only be covered by the new car warranty for, I think, the first 12 months or 12,000 miles so if it wasn't performed correctly then the original selling dealer would be responsible.

Look at it from your local dealer's perspective: You bought a car from another dealer, they screwed up, and you want ME to pay for it? I would assume that the discount was a goodwill gesture on their part.

Also, coverage on a car depends on whether or not the car is within the 4/50 or the CPO portion of coverage.
I hear you and appreciate the view from the other side.. And not that it mattered or to hijack the OP's thread, but my car was/is still well under the original bumper to bumper warranty. I understand their point of view in terms of not feeling obligated to fix another dealer's botched alignment. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Lexus corporate to take care of their brand new customer AND the dealer by comping what should have been done correctly during the so called "exhaustive" CPO preparation (and was documented as such, albeit falsely).

In general with this brand, most of us expect a measure of accountability on the part of Lexus corporate, least of all for a vehicle just sold in their name, under their CPO criteria, but one that failed to truly be inspected/adjusted as advertised:

"In order to meet the rigorous standards of Lexus certification, specially trained technicians at each Lexus dealership put every vehicle through an exhaustive series of examinations, helping to ensure reliability, quality and customer confidence. Only the best pre-owned Lexus vehicles qualify, and they're exclusively at your Lexus dealer."

Bottom line and final piece of advice to the op: find a dealer that will take care of you and, if possible, reach out to the dealer that sold you the car. I wish you better luck next time around..

Last edited by droclex; 07-08-16 at 11:10 PM.