LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Key fob in car engine running

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 12:38 PM
venny1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob in car engine running

Opened the driver’s door stepped out with engine running & key fob on console. Closed doors, they locked & good not enter car. Lexus LS 460 2014 model. I thought you could not lock car with key in car. With engine not running cannot lock car with key in car. This occurred with engine running as had to step out of car momentarily. Is this possible or did a malfunction in electronics occur? Please help solve this dilemma.

Thanks
Old 07-01-16, 01:14 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Shouldn't the handle sense the key proximity and unlock?

You try all doors?

If you have the Lexus app and safety connect you can start/stop lock/unlock the car through your phone.

Call Lexus as well, they may be able to unlock remotely.

Good luck. Cautionary tale to leave those keys in the pocket.
Old 07-01-16, 01:56 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Also, in regards to the doors locking, I know mine auto locks upon driving, but there may be a setting where it auto locks on time? Or it may be an option. I'm not sure, may have to ask someone else or see if it's buried in the manual.
Old 07-01-16, 07:20 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Our first car with a key fob is the 2014 LS and not being too experienced the above is always a fear.... I always have the fob in my pocket but the wife leaves the fob in her purse and I am waiting for the call one day where she might get locked out....
Old 07-01-16, 10:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

It should not lock with the key inside it.
Old 07-02-16, 05:54 AM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Welcome To The "Defective Doorjamb Switch Club"

Originally Posted by venny1
Opened the driver’s door stepped out with engine running & key fob on console. Closed doors, they locked & good not enter car. Lexus LS 460 2014 model. I thought you could not lock car with key in car. With engine not running cannot lock car with key in car. This occurred with engine running as had to step out of car momentarily. Is this possible or did a malfunction in electronics occur? Please help solve this dilemma.

Thanks
venny1,

Welcome to the LS460 “Defective Doorjamb Switch Club.” I can tell you, with great confidence, that you have a defective doorjamb switch on your driver’s door.

The cars are designed to keep the doors from being locked or unlocked from the outside while the ignition is on, without any regard to the presence or absence of the remote wireless key. If it is any consolation, please be assured that you would have had the same “bad experience” even if you had the electronic key on your person. When you get into this situation there are only two possible ways forward: forced entry or use of the mechanical key. Many people don’t have the mental agility to use the mechanical key in these high pressure events.

To get locked out with the ignition on takes a sort of “perfect storm” but many of us can do it. All that is required is to have a defective doorjamb switch and then open the door before you shift to park, shift to park and get out and close the door.

Some of our forum participants have suggested that a call to Lexus Enform/Safety Connect could resolve this, but I think it is very unlikely that would work.

To help you understand, here is a link to an owner’s report of being locked-out of his car, with the engine running and the electronic key in his possession: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...e-running.html

Defective doorjamb switches are a common problem with these cars and they cause some very serious safety risk.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...mb-switch.html

I’ve spent a lot of time telling people about this here in this forum but what is really needed is for the NHTSA to get involved. I entered a report several years ago - please do your part by entering a report to the NHTSA at their SaferCar.gov site.
Old 07-04-16, 09:00 AM
venny1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for all the quick responses. Following I list the action taken & to be taken.
1) Called dealer & no real answer to problem. He did inform that battery in fabo changes slightly over 1 year ago & to change battery.
2) Changed battery & recreated situation of leaving fob in car with engine running & closing door. Yes, took precaution to have 2nd fob nearby & window down.. Result: doors did not lock.
3) Unfortunately I did not recreate situation prior to changing battery.
4) I did take note of comment that probably a faulty door jamb switch & at next Lexus service will ask about this.

I appreciate all the help & will definitely be more careful not to leave fob in car while engine running.

Thank you.
Old 07-04-16, 10:10 AM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by venny1
Many thanks for all the quick responses. Following I list the action taken & to be taken.
1) Called dealer & no real answer to problem. He did inform that battery in fabo changes slightly over 1 year ago & to change battery.
2) Changed battery & recreated situation of leaving fob in car with engine running & closing door. Yes, took precaution to have 2nd fob nearby & window down.. Result: doors did not lock.
3) Unfortunately I did not recreate situation prior to changing battery.
4) I did take note of comment that probably a faulty door jamb switch & at next Lexus service will ask about this.

I appreciate all the help & will definitely be more careful not to leave fob in car while engine running.

Thank you.
Please take note that the caution should be to not close the door from the outside when the ignition is on if there is no-one in the car and the windows are up. With a defective doorjamb switch, you will be locked out, even if you have the "key fob" with you outside the car. Of course if you have the fob you can use the mechanical key. And, just the ignition on will get you into this situation, even if the engine is not running.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-04-16 at 10:14 AM.