LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Extended Warranty Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 05:56 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sayow
So as mentioned in a previous thread, I have a deposit down on a 2010 LS460 Sport with 65k miles. The dealer (CarMax) is offering me a 4 year/60k extended warranty for 2k extra. They say it is bumper to bumper and specifically i asked about electronics, amps and air suspension, all covered.

However I see lots of dealers in my area (KC) that offer "lifetime warranty" for as long as you own yor car. Since I never trade my cars in or even sell them (I have 11 personal cars at my house right now, 13 is my record) the lifetime warranty is appealing.

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone have experience with these lifetime warranties and if so, please share the details and your experience.

2. Has anyone dealt with CarMax on any warranty issue? The yelp and cars.com reviews are solid but i am still curious how well they honor their warranty.

3. Do any LS owners have sources, experiences and prices with other extended warranties so i can judge if the 4/60 for 2k from CarMax is a good deal or not.

Thanks again guys!
I never heard of any car dealer giving a LIFETIME warranty on a vehicle,just doesnt make sense,through research i do know that some warranty companies will offer an extended warranty up to 225,000 miles.
Old 06-26-16, 08:42 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sfuad
If you shop around, you can find it at a lower rate. I got mine extended for 5 years for $3500.
the dealer gave me a whole spiel about how they cannot sell less that the lexus warranty prices are state regulated?
Old 06-27-16, 01:53 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
the dealer gave me a whole spiel about how they cannot sell less that the lexus warranty prices are state regulated?
Horse manure.
Old 06-27-16, 04:28 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

I just got the car last week, can anyone provide me with more information on their warranty on here or through PM if you are in Florida. I will go right to the manager and have them change the warranty. That sucks I got ripped off. I would really appreciate any help.
Old 06-27-16, 05:15 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got the car last week, can anyone provide me with more information on their warranty on here or through PM if you are in Florida. I will go right to the manager and have them change the warranty. That sucks I got ripped off. I would really appreciate any help.
You can also Google extended warranties and they'll give you a free quote,also ask.if they can email you the estimate,have your VIN# ready...
Old 06-27-16, 05:42 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Originally Posted by steelers6
You can also Google extended warranties and they'll give you a free quote,also ask.if they can email you the estimate,have your VIN# ready...
Thank you, the warranty they sold me and told me the price is state regulated was through Lexus, not a third party. Just wondering if anyone got the same cheaper or more coverage for similar price. I'm starting to think dealer lied.
Old 06-30-16, 09:19 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I guess I'm a fool too. But now I'm a richer fool. Declining my warranty saved me nearly 3g dollars and the only repair that I've done is a new water pump which cost me less than a hundred bucks and 90 minutes of my time.

I've always heard it's best to just keep your money in your pocket & if you feel the need just put a few $$$ back every month & IF that occasion every happens you'll have the money to pay for it. I've also heard Horror stories about some of those Extended Warranty companies, just look on the internet about some of these companies. Always do your homework & check with the BBB, A LOT of those companies will Nit-Pick Any & Every thing when you file a claim & will send an agent out to look at your vehicle & in most cases they're going to find a reason as to why YOU could have prevented it or you did something to cause it. Just be careful is all i'm sayin'
Old 07-01-16, 05:15 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I've always heard it's best to just keep your money in your pocket & if you feel the need just put a few $$$ back every month & IF that occasion every happens you'll have the money to pay for it. I've also heard Horror stories about some of those Extended Warranty companies, just look on the internet about some of these companies. Always do your homework & check with the BBB, A LOT of those companies will Nit-Pick Any & Every thing when you file a claim & will send an agent out to look at your vehicle & in most cases they're going to find a reason as to why YOU could have prevented it or you did something to cause it. Just be careful is all i'm sayin'
Id say it depends on who you are, what your ability is to do some of your own repairs and how much patience you have dealing with people that work for warranty companies.

I work in the industry and I can tell you first hand that dealing with these companies can be a huge hassle. I'm sure for some it may be worth it, but for others it's a gamble. This is what it's usually like...

Customer needs a head gasket...third party warranty company is called...adjuster will come out (2-3 days later). Meanwhile the car will be drived or pushed outside. The adjuster will question the tech...does it really need this? Does it really need that? Well it looks like the guy didn't change his coolant. Well it looks like the guy never maintained this...or maintained that. Ok we'll do the head gasket, but we won't pay for coolant, we won't pay for oil, we won't pay for new bolts, we won't pay for a new water pump, we won't pay for any clips or brackets that break, we'll pay for the gasket and only the labor for that gasket, that's it. Anything else the customer will have to cover out of pocket.

Meanwhile the customer has to pay for coolant, oil, belts, water pump, bolts, hardware and miscellaneous items. His bill is $400 and he has a deductible on the head gasket. So is it worth it? Well I guess he saved on paying $1,500 for the head gasket, but he did have to purchase the warranty, a deductible and other items. So to get his money back he'll need a couple major repairs in the time frame/mileage it is good for.

With the LS - in my opinion - on a base model the "major repair" will be the control arms. Control arms at an independent shop will cost a customer around $1,200 to replace all 8 with aftermarket parts. To replace only the top 4 will cost you half that...that's $600. Other than that?? The only other major issue is the brake actuator,mwhich is now covered under an extended warranty campaign through Lexus, so you don't have to worry about that component any longer. Now if you buy a loaded long wheel base model with air ride? Then you'll have to worry about the amp and air shocks, but you'll need those items to fail in order to get your money back. It's a gamble, but depending on the cost of the warranty and the deductible, it may be worth it to some. For others, piece of mind is also a huge factor. Personally I turned down the opportunity to purchase either a one year, or a two year warranty. And I saved $2,000-$3,000 by doing that.
Old 07-01-16, 05:48 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

What Doublebase says is about the way it works, at least some of the time. I worked at dealers 25 years and did a lot of extended warranty work. We used to look for problems we could get them to pay for because hey we always needed more work. I even came up with a brilliant plan for my service manager to pull all files of sales of extended warranty contracts and anyone who drove in with one which we always recorded in our database. We mailed them all invitations to come in so we can find any covered problems they could get fixed for free. We even stated we would waive their deductible. It was a windfall and a yearly event. The company's almost always sent an independent adjuster to come and approve the work. It your engine was fried they would always boil in water the thermostat to see if it was operating. Because shocker the thermostat was always left out of covered repairs and they would use that as the reason your engine fried to deny you. So many extended warrant stories I will save more for later.
Old 07-01-16, 06:23 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
What Doublebase says is about the way it works, at least some of the time. I worked at dealers 25 years and did a lot of extended warranty work. We used to look for problems we could get them to pay for because hey we always needed more work. I even came up with a brilliant plan for my service manager to pull all files of sales of extended warranty contracts and anyone who drove in with one which we always recorded in our database. We mailed them all invitations to come in so we can find any covered problems they could get fixed for free. We even stated we would waive their deductible. It was a windfall and a yearly event. The company's almost always sent an independent adjuster to come and approve the work. It your engine was fried they would always boil in water the thermostat to see if it was operating. Because shocker the thermostat was always left out of covered repairs and they would use that as the reason your engine fried to deny you. So many extended warrant stories I will save more for later.
I understand exactly what you are saying...sometimes the warranties=let's find something, it's easy money, the customer is not going to say no. Take the control arms for instance, if I'm working as a Lexus tech right now and it's slow in the summer (which it usually is), and a LS460 comes in with an extended warranty?? Boom! It needs control arms, doesn't matter if it came in for only an oil change. It needs control arms. And as a Lexus tech, doing control arms are the easiest 6 hours of labor I'll ever get...I'll have that job done in an hour and a half, plus an extra 15 minutes for the "alignment", that only needs a slight toe adjustment. Done. I just made $210 in two hours, including the alignment. Everyone goes home happy...me, the customer, the dealer. And then the customer will come on here and tell everyone how his extended warranty just saved him $3,600!

So I guess if you buy an extended warranty for $2,000-$3,000, you will most likely get yourself some free control arms (that you probably didn't need, or that you could have gotten for $1,200 at an independent with a warranty on the work). To each his own. Like I said, it depends on personal preference.

Last edited by Doublebase; 07-01-16 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-01-16, 08:01 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I'm rolling the dice with my '10 Sport.

If it starts to turn into a money pit, I will extend the warranty on a CPO next go around.
Old 07-01-16, 08:14 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I understand exactly what you are saying...sometimes the warranties=let's find something, it's easy money, the customer is not going to say no. Take the control arms for instance, if I'm working as a Lexus tech right now and it's slow in the summer (which it usually is), and a LS460 comes in with an extended warranty?? Boom! It needs control arms, doesn't matter if it came in for only an oil change. It needs control arms. And as a Lexus tech, doing control arms are the easiest 6 hours of labor I'll ever get...I'll have that job done in an hour and a half, plus an extra 15 minutes for the "alignment", that only needs a slight toe adjustment. Done. I just made $210 in two hours, including the alignment. Everyone goes home happy...me, the customer, the dealer. And then the customer will come on here and tell everyone how his extended warranty just saved him $3,600!

So I guess if you buy an extended warranty for $2,000-$3,000, you will most likely get yourself some free control arms (that you probably didn't need, or that you could have gotten for $1,200 at an independent with a warranty on the work). To each his own. Like I said, it depends on personal preference.
Interesting? On most of my 460 warranties repairs (except electronics), my warranty company would send one of their reps out to inspect the fail parts. One time I had a loaner for over a week waiting for a rep to show up. Regardless, the $1500 extended warranty saved me thousands.
Old 07-04-16, 01:18 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Thank you, the warranty they sold me and told me the price is state regulated was through Lexus, not a third party.
Warranties and their prices are not state regulated.
Old 07-04-16, 01:43 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Warranties and their prices are not state regulated.
Yep.

Pretty much.
Old 07-04-16, 01:46 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Are you guys sure about florida law? I had other PM me and say yes the florida price regulation is correct but it doesn't stop you from buying out of state cheaper.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Options