LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 for ~20k

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 01:11 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 460 for ~20k

Wife and I were really looking at 08-09 S8 Audis. However they are still jsut a hair too expensive. Want a white one, extended leather, B&O system, were looking at minimum 25k.
I got to thinking, maybe pick up an LS460 instead. the 08, 09s seem to be about 18-22k or so.
I have an ls400 already and really enjoy the quality and reliability of the vehicle.
THe ls460 is a totally different type of vehicle than an s8, not performance oriented at all-but that is ok.

I and wondering how the AWD system is on the 460s? The quattro on the s8 is something I really like.

Still unsure if we would prefer a SWB or LWB. This is in preparation for having a kid or two within the next 1-2 years as well. Leather is nice for ease of cleaning, the LWB has extra space but im not sold on the aesthetics of it either.

First of all, can I get a nice ls460 for ~20k?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

I also don't mind travelling anywhere in the states to pick one up.
Only requirements are that it is white exterior, and black interior!
Old 05-12-16, 01:48 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a reason Pre-10 4LS tend to be cheaper. Do some more research on options and driver aids that are important to you.
Old 05-13-16, 01:49 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I wish I could comment on the AWD aspect of the LS, but I have the rwd version and I must say...living in a place where hostile winters are the norm...the RWD performed admirably with snow tires. Now I'm not saying...go get a RWD, but I am saying I now feel fully confident driving the RWD with snows living in New England. The stability assist on the car is fantastic and the traction control helps, so I can only imagine how great the AWD models are in the snow (and it has been well documented on here that they are virtually unstoppable).

I too was interested in the Audi A8 before buying the LS460, I liked the way they looked and I liked the interior on them. A few friends of mine talked some sense into me by telling me how much of a pain it would be to work on them - I have worked on some Audi's and they are a pain - there's an ongoing joke in the automotive industry that Audi engineers sit in a room and get incredibly high before they come up with new and confusing ways to build and take apart a car...weather that be developing special tools required to work on them...or quirky service procedures. I once spent an hour trying to remove one bolt on the front suspension of an A6...that also equated into my final decision to purchase an LS460 over the A8. But I always liked the A8, and whenever I see an S8 I think...that's awesome.

I think you'll be able to find an AWD model for 20ish - there's been some vibration issues reported...I believe there's a technical service bulletin for it (a search for AWD vibration would probably turn something up).

Last edited by Doublebase; 05-13-16 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-14-16, 08:18 AM
peteyx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold my 2009 Q7 Prestige with the B&O option. I had an LS 430 before and thought the Audi would be as high in quality. WRONG! Check the Audi forums, many more common issues, from leaking sunroof drains to very expensive damage from beverage spills on the console. Right underneath are electronics controlling nav, audio and more. Much less intuitive nav and audio controls. I'm going back to Lexus when I find a nice LS 460.
Old 05-14-16, 08:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I love the Audis as well and was looking at A8's at the same time I was looking at BMW 7 series. It was scary how most of the Audi's I checked out had some kind of issue. One had an inoperative Nav system and the dealer was selling the car "As Is", they were not interested in fixing any of the issues with it because the cost would be more than the profit they would make. I admit that despite these issues with them, that they may have been better and more reliable than the 7 series I ended up with, but in general, this is why I will never buy a German car ever again. Between my 7, my wife's X5, my buddy's 3 series and many friend's VW's etc......it's just too scary to contemplate German marque's.

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-14-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-14-16, 09:54 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes I have a beautiful Mercedes I will only drive when needed or to charge the battery. Too risky to put on the road.
Old 05-14-16, 01:09 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I love the Audis as well and was looking at A8's at the same time I was looking at BMW 7 series. It was scary how most of the Audi's I checked out had some kind of issue. ONe had an inoperative Nav system and the dealer was selling the car "As Is", they were not interested in fixing any of the issues with it becaue the coast would be more than the profit they would make. I admit that despite these issues with them, that they may have been better and more reliable than the 7 series I ended up with, but in general, this is why I will never buy a German car ever again. Between my 7, my wife's X5, my buddy's 3 series and many friend's VW\s etc......it's just too scary to contemplate German marque's.
I noticed the same thing! Went looking for an A8 and each one had something wrong with it that the place wouldn't fix. Another thing I noticed was that the interiors weren't holding up...worn out buttons and *****, seats destroyed, door trims worn...it reminded me of Kia and Hyundai quality...looks great initially, then five years later it's wiped out.
Old 05-14-16, 06:07 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I noticed the same thing! Went looking for an A8 and each one had something wrong with it that the place wouldn't fix. Another thing I noticed was that the interiors weren't holding up...worn out buttons and *****, seats destroyed, door trims worn...it reminded me of Kia and Hyundai quality...looks great initially, then five years later it's wiped out.
My ML350 looks and drives perfect inside and out with 128k and 10 years old. BUT !! something if not today will leak or stop working etc. if you drive it daily. It's a money pit. I just kept working on the latest failure one after another till I retired it to a snow car or Home Depot hauler. The 2007 LS is probably one of Lexus's biggest problem cars also but not even close to a German car. Lucky for me most of the problems that come up with the ls460 were fixed by the previous owner. My wife and little dog just returned from a 2 hrs each way trip to Estes Park. Co. and it was a joyous ride in the LS.
Old 05-17-16, 05:44 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I have the AWD and it performs great, i used to have LX570 so it goes where ever i took the LX (minus the sand dunes) but what i mean for everyday snow driving and rain its superb.
Originally Posted by Greg5OH
Wife and I were really looking at 08-09 S8 Audis. However they are still jsut a hair too expensive. Want a white one, extended leather, B&O system, were looking at minimum 25k.
I got to thinking, maybe pick up an LS460 instead. the 08, 09s seem to be about 18-22k or so.
I have an ls400 already and really enjoy the quality and reliability of the vehicle.
THe ls460 is a totally different type of vehicle than an s8, not performance oriented at all-but that is ok.

I and wondering how the AWD system is on the 460s? The quattro on the s8 is something I really like.

Still unsure if we would prefer a SWB or LWB. This is in preparation for having a kid or two within the next 1-2 years as well. Leather is nice for ease of cleaning, the LWB has extra space but im not sold on the aesthetics of it either.

First of all, can I get a nice ls460 for ~20k?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

I also don't mind travelling anywhere in the states to pick one up.
Only requirements are that it is white exterior, and black interior!
Old 05-17-16, 08:49 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I wish I could comment on the AWD aspect of the LS, but I have the rwd version and I must say...living in a place where hostile winters are the norm...the RWD performed admirably with snow tires. Now I'm not saying...go get a RWD, but I am saying I now feel fully confident driving the RWD with snows living in New England. The stability assist on the car is fantastic and the traction control helps, so I can only imagine how great the AWD models are in the snow (and it has been well documented on here that they are virtually unstoppable).

I too was interested in the Audi A8 before buying the LS460, I liked the way they looked and I liked the interior on them. A few friends of mine talked some sense into me by telling me how much of a pain it would be to work on them - I have worked on some Audi's and they are a pain - there's an ongoing joke in the automotive industry that Audi engineers sit in a room and get incredibly high before they come up with new and confusing ways to build and take apart a car...weather that be developing special tools required to work on them...or quirky service procedures. I once spent an hour trying to remove one bolt on the front suspension of an A6...that also equated into my final decision to purchase an LS460 over the A8. But I always liked the A8, and whenever I see an S8 I think...that's awesome.

I think you'll be able to find an AWD model for 20ish - there's been some vibration issues reported...I believe there's a technical service bulletin for it (a search for AWD vibration would probably turn something up).
I think he kinda spot on with a couple of things here. I have seen 460L in the price range your looking for and the AWD model does have some vibration issues But I feel there's an issue in all Lexus AWD models. My family and I had ran through RX, IS, GS and LS with AWD and all of them had slight vibration issues. Not so much the RX because that wasn't a true AWD but nothing else is wrong with them other than a slight vibration. The GS and IS vibrates at idle, my LS vibrates something? at 70mph. Car is still fairly new to me and I haven't sat in the backseat while someone was driving just yet but I think what is vibrating is either my baby car seat or my rear entertainment factory monitor... Not sure just quite yet. RWD is cool if you live where their isn't snow. I always had RWD and with snow tires you could go anywhere and do anything you want... However it is a pain to get your snow tires on to get ready for winter and take them off after winter. Designated snow tires are not meant to be driven on all the time.... Don't think all season tires such as Continental DWS will do the trick just because they have a snow rating for your RWD... If you go RWD you definitely need dedicated snow tires... So if you have the time and can remember great... But if you just want to drive and not worry about switching tires every "on" and "off" season go with AWD.
Old 05-18-16, 11:47 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They (AWDs) all seem to have that off throttle vibration...

Supposedly there's a "fix" but stuff like this is more noticeable on an LS simply because the darn things are so quiet and comfy. I refer to them as "Motorized Sofas" and that's a compliment.

A nice 08-09 for $20K is very doable, I've sold plenty of nice ones in the 17-23K range.
Old 05-18-16, 04:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Designated snow tires are not meant to be driven on all the time
This is actually no longer true. Many manufacturers are producing All Weather Tires (not to be confused with all season). All weather tires have the snowflake symbol and are true snow tires but also are excellent tires for the Summer. A good example of this is the Hakkapeliitta and Nokian WRG3 which are some of the very best winter tires available. Hankook also makes an all weather tire, called the Optimo. These all weather tires also have excellent tread life.
Old 05-19-16, 03:14 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
This is actually no longer true. Many manufacturers are producing All Weather Tires (not to be confused with all season). All weather tires have the snowflake symbol and are true snow tires but also are excellent tires for the Summer. A good example of this is the Hakkapeliitta and Nokian WRG3 which are some of the very best winter tires available. Hankook also makes an all weather tire, called the Optimo. These all weather tires also have excellent tread life.
I suppose the all-weather tires would do well in snow and dry pavement, but as with all-seasons, they have to compromise somewhere in material or tread to give the best possible ride (grip, noise etc.) in all conditions. Any thoughts on how one of these all-weather tires would stack up against a favorite all-season tire discussed in another thread (Pirelli Cinturato P7)?