LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Shopping for a used 07-10 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 07:28 PM
David717
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Shopping for a used 07-10 LS460

Hey all,

Im brand new to the forum and was hoping to get some opinions on a used LS460 that I’m considering. At first I was looking at used 2014 GS350 F Sports. However upon checking out a few LS’s and considering the fact I’d be saving roughly $10-15k, I think I’m sold on a older LS460.

I wanted to know if there’s any major problems I should look out for with these cars? also do they make good daily drivers as id be driving it every day?

Im considerably young (mid-20s) and almost all the LS’s for sale are from someone’s father or grandfather. Makes me wonder if there are any younger owners out there? Not to age discriminate or anything but I don’t want to be stuck with a “grandpa” car. I personally like the way it looks and after test driving one, I’m convinced it’s one of the most comfortable cars on the road.

Any feedback would be great!
Thanks
Old 03-14-18, 07:57 PM
garyfiji
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure why you don't want a "grandpa" 2007 LS 460?
Old 03-14-18, 08:18 PM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I was in my 20's when I bought a white 76 Cadillac Coupe deVille, one of the longest cars. It was used. I loved it, and actually heard feedback about 'young guys driving Caddy's', always good feedback. It is unexpected for younger people to step out of a car normally purchased by people who are older and who 'have made it'. Again in my 30's i bought another white 94 DeVille, one of the last of the large finned Caddys. By this time I was in my mid 30's, and got some of the same feedback. And the best part was driving a very high quality car for its time, the luxury and power that comes with it. I never thought of them as Grampa cars, but rather i was ahead of the curve in appreciating finer luxury cars compared to others my age.

Now I am solidly in Grampa territory at age 55, and decided to get an 07 LS, and found a very clean one owner cream puff with only 67,000 miles for $15,000. The kicker is that the owner who bought it new was only 27 when he bought it. So I almost feel like a grampa driving a kids car, lol.

I say go for it, these are great values, super reliable, and they make you feel like a boss driving them, just like those old Caddys did for me at the time. Good luck and keep us updated.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spudo769:
David717 (03-15-18), dlbuckls10 (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 08:30 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

You have to buy what you want to buy instead of what other people think you should buy.
That is exactly what I just did and got a 2011 LS460L. Very happy after the purchase.
What is your budget?
The following users liked this post:
David717 (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 08:44 PM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Much of it is the age people are when they can finally afford a luxury car. No way I could have picked up a 60 or 80k when I was in my 20s. I'm in my 30's now, so by far not on the older side of ownership, but time to accrue finances definitely plays a role in affording nicer things.

Admittedly I STILL like the loud obnoxious muscle cars that I always have. In fact I ALMOST bought a Dodge Charger SRT 392 instead of the LS. However, I couldn't see myself wanting to drive it every day to work and for groceries. Would be a seriously awesome weekend car, but I like my squishy commute in the LS.

Last edited by Shad034; 03-15-18 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Thought of some more stuff
David717 (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 11:33 PM
David717
Driver

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
You have to buy what you want to buy instead of what other people think you should buy.
That is exactly what I just did and got a 2011 LS460L. Very happy after the purchase.
What is your budget?

100% agreed. Great buy! The long wheel base ones are definitely on my list if I can find something clean with relatively low miles around $15-20k. My original budget was up to 30k since I was in the market for a newer GS, but I soon realized it’s just not worth the extra money when a LS is much more luxurious and comfortable.
Old 03-14-18, 11:36 PM
David717
Driver

Originally Posted by Shad034
Much of it is the age people are when they can finally afford a luxury car. No way I could have picked up a 60 or 80k when I was in my 20s. I'm in my 30's now, so by far not on the older side of ownership, but time to accrue finances definitely plays a role in affording nicer things.

Admittedly I STILL like the loud obnoxious muscle cars that I always have. In fact I ALMOST bought a Dodge Charger SRT 392 instead of the LS. However, I couldn't see myself wanting to drive it every day to work and for groceries. Would be a seriously awesome weekend car, but I like my squishy commute in the LS.

Loud obnoxious American muscle definitely has a place in my heart. I had a 2006 Corvette Z51 not too long ago and man did I love that thing. Started giving me problems around 90k miles so I got rid of it and opted for something more practical/reliable which leads me to wanting a LS
Old 03-14-18, 11:45 PM
David717
Driver

Originally Posted by Spudo769
I was in my 20's when I bought a white 76 Cadillac Coupe deVille, one of the longest cars. It was used. I loved it, and actually heard feedback about 'young guys driving Caddy's', always good feedback. It is unexpected for younger people to step out of a car normally purchased by people who are older and who 'have made it'. Again in my 30's i bought another white 94 DeVille, one of the last of the large finned Caddys. By this time I was in my mid 30's, and got some of the same feedback. And the best part was driving a very high quality car for its time, the luxury and power that comes with it. I never thought of them as Grampa cars, but rather i was ahead of the curve in appreciating finer luxury cars compared to others my age.

Now I am solidly in Grampa territory at age 55, and decided to get an 07 LS, and found a very clean one owner cream puff with only 67,000 miles for $15,000. The kicker is that the owner who bought it new was only 27 when he bought it. So I almost feel like a grampa driving a kids car, lol.

I say go for it, these are great values, super reliable, and they make you feel like a boss driving them, just like those old Caddys did for me at the time. Good luck and keep us updated.

Appreciate the feedback! I’ve come to realize that as long as you enjoy the car/drive/appearance it doesn’t matter what age group you fall under for a specific car. I’ve seen plenty of older folks driving cars that are usually targeted to a young audience (grandpa driving a 370Z or corvette). Why not the other way around?

Also sweet deal on your 07 LS!! That’s exactly the price range and mileage I’m looking for preferabley black on black... will keep you guys posted on what I end up getting.
Old 03-14-18, 11:49 PM
David717
Driver

Originally Posted by garyfiji
I'm not sure why you don't want a "grandpa" 2007 LS 460?
I do want it, and absolutely loved driving it. Was just curious on the feedback I’d get driving one since Lexus markets these cars to 50+ age groups. But now that it’s fallen into the affordable used car market, I guess that age group no longer applies. My mind is set on a LS460, now time to shop around for a clean low mileage one!
Old 03-15-18, 04:07 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by David717

I do want it, and absolutely loved driving it. Was just curious on the feedback I’d get driving one since Lexus markets these cars to 50+ age groups. But now that it’s fallen into the affordable used car market, I guess that age group no longer applies. My mind is set on a LS460, now time to shop around for a clean low mileage one!
One thing to note is that there was a refresh for 2010, so you have '07-'09 and '10-'12 to look at. Here's a link with the differences. I test drove an '08, but ended up buying an '11.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...fferences.html
David717 (04-22-20)
Old 03-15-18, 05:20 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

There was a thread here about the age of owners, and as I recall there were many in their 20's and 30's, particularly now that there are older ones available at attractive price points. You could probably do a search for it. Also check the FAQ/DIY sticky at the top of this forum for great info.

If you are looking at a 2007, make sure the recalls were done.
David717 (03-15-18)
Old 03-15-18, 05:51 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by David717

100% agreed. Great buy! The long wheel base ones are definitely on my list if I can find something clean with relatively low miles around $15-20k. My original budget was up to 30k since I was in the market for a newer GS, but I soon realized it’s just not worth the extra money when a LS is much more luxurious and comfortable.
David, I just bought a 2010 LS460L AWD from my local Lexus dealer for $21,600. It has 91k miles, but looks like new and has been serviced religiously at my Lexus dealer since new. I passed on an equally immaculate 2008 LS460L that was being offered by a Lexus dealer in Ohio for $17,800 (I really need AWD, and it wasn't offered on the LS until 2009 model year).

I think you'll be able to find a very nice LWB LS in the 2007-2010 model years for under $20k, especially if you can expand your search nationwide and don't mind traveling to get a car (or buying one sight-unseen). Keep in mind that there were a few issues to be worked out on the 2007-2008 models (wind noise, control arms, etc.). Many have already had these issues addressed. If you want/need AWD, you'll need to target a 2009 or 2010. When I was looking, I was specifically trying to avoid the black cars, but it seems like there are a ton of the LS 460Ls available in black, so you should have plenty to pick from.

I do believe the years you're targeting offer an amazing value in a used luxury car. Just be sure to account for the very real possibility of fairly substantial repair bills simply due to the age of these cars. After all, these are $80K cars, not $20k cars... Good luck!
David717 (04-22-20)
Old 03-15-18, 09:20 AM
David717
Driver

Originally Posted by Dave144239
One thing to note is that there was a refresh for 2010, so you have '07-'09 and '10-'12 to look at. Here's a link with the differences. I test drove an '08, but ended up buying an '11.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...fferences.html
This is really helpful man thanks! My main criteria for a LS would be one with the 2010+ OEM rims, and a ML sound system. I've heard they're significantly better than non-ML speakers if anyone could confirm?
Old 03-15-18, 10:00 AM
David717
Driver

Originally Posted by riknchar
David, I just bought a 2010 LS460L AWD from my local Lexus dealer for $21,600. It has 91k miles, but looks like new and has been serviced religiously at my Lexus dealer since new. I passed on an equally immaculate 2008 LS460L that was being offered by a Lexus dealer in Ohio for $17,800 (I really need AWD, and it wasn't offered on the LS until 2009 model year).

I think you'll be able to find a very nice LWB LS in the 2007-2010 model years for under $20k, especially if you can expand your search nationwide and don't mind traveling to get a car (or buying one sight-unseen). Keep in mind that there were a few issues to be worked out on the 2007-2008 models (wind noise, control arms, etc.). Many have already had these issues addressed. If you want/need AWD, you'll need to target a 2009 or 2010. When I was looking, I was specifically trying to avoid the black cars, but it seems like there are a ton of the LS 460Ls available in black, so you should have plenty to pick from.

I do believe the years you're targeting offer an amazing value in a used luxury car. Just be sure to account for the very real possibility of fairly substantial repair bills simply due to the age of these cars. After all, these are $80K cars, not $20k cars... Good luck!
Rick, congratulations on that sweet buy, sounds like you got a great deal! Your right about expanding my search, usually when buying a used car, I would only consider local as I would want me mechanic to inspect it before I buy. However, with the Lexus brand, I think im much more comfortable traveling to the car and just conducting a visual inspection as I know these cars have bulletproof reliability. Being out here in California, I would rarely (if ever) need a AWD vehicle so that part really isnt too concerning for me. I think an ideal one for me would be under $20k with a ML 19 speaker sound system.
Old 03-15-18, 10:06 AM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm 28 & drive an 07 LS460L 'executive package' (rarely get to use the rear seat myself)
I wouldn't recommend an LS is you want something sporty, but it pretty quick in a straight line.
The LS460 is a great daily driver. I feel relaxed driving around, no one bugs me. I don't even hear much if any road noise.
The ML premium audio is amazing, but if your amp goes out like mine & others, its pricey if you cant get the dealer to eat the cost.
Most people still assume that this car is still a $80k+ car & look at you like you are well off.(depends on the condition of the car)
David717 (04-22-20)

Quick Reply: Shopping for a used 07-10 LS460