LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Becoming a Lexus owner again..

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-16, 05:13 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Becoming a Lexus owner again..

After about 6 years out of the game, I've decided to get back into a Lexus and figured a 4th Gen 2010+ LS would be just a great starting point. My price range is 24-32K OTD which I figured would give me access to at least a few well cared for examples.

After test driving a few different candidates (and being somewhat disappointed), I found an absolutely stunning 2010 Sport in Smoky Granite Mica with 78K on it. After reviewing the service and owner records (1 owner car, almost OCD-level maintenance) I am picking it up next week.

As we all know here, the Sport package came with Factory air suspension, Brembo brakes, F Transmission. Is there anything specific I should look for when I do my final inspection on delivery? What are my best options for warranty should I decide to purchase one?

The service records indicate that the Front LCA's (#1?), as well as one air shock (RR) have been replaced under extended warranty. Any and all insight is appreciated!
Old 03-20-16, 06:35 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I can't help you with any of your questions (I'm an old 2007 owner), but congrats on the new car and I wish you good luck with it.
Old 03-20-16, 07:40 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome back. Sounds like you've done your homework. Dont know if control arms are the newer version on the 2010 sport. Other than that it appears to be a great car.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-16, 07:51 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by R Z
Welcome back. Sounds like you've done your homework. Dont know if control arms are the newer version on the 2010 sport. Other than that it appears to be a great car.

Good luck.
I've done my best to make sure i'm not buying a dud. My OTD price is 28K.

I'm not sure on the control arms either, but a post from another thread gave me the heebie-jeebie's a little bit.

Originally Posted by caha14
From the TSIB, for 2WD LS460s, the VIN cutoff for control arms is JTHBL5EF#A#098437.
The last four on mine is about 1,000 less than the cutoff per this post.
Old 03-20-16, 08:40 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Beautiful LS Sports and worth the wait. Drive and enjoy.
Old 03-20-16, 09:26 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Some folks keep returning, again and again....it's like they're driving donuts.
Old 03-21-16, 08:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Nice car.....welcome back and congrats.

So why did you get away from Lexus? What have you been driving since leaving n the first place?
Old 03-21-16, 09:27 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Nice car.....welcome back and congrats.

So why did you get away from Lexus? What have you been driving since leaving n the first place?
Thanks.

My 2GS had gotten totaled out and the payoff was pretty much on the nose with what I owed on it.
I wasn't doing so well financially at the time, so I opted to buy a 2002 Prius cash, drove that around for a few years and sold it for what I paid for it.

I also toyed around with a couple of W Body GM's (3.8L SC, easy as cake to mod and tune), eventually got tired of the monthly parts bill and got rid of them. I then went out and bought a 2014 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T, and later on a 2014 Cruze Diesel. Long story short, My Sonata got totaled out early this year and i've been renting a car since while deciding what to buy.

I came to the conclusion that I wanted to pick up a 4LS that had been well cared for. Of course, not quite being the millionaire I imagined i'd be at this point, I allotted the same price range i'd be looking at a new car for and after a few disappointing test drives (wheel shimmy, random rattles, etc), I found what I was looking for, albeit with a few more miles than I originally wanted.
Old 03-23-16, 08:44 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Default Almost did it.

I went to pick up the car today and immediately spotted some pretty noticeable suspension lean to the right rear. Ride height sensors maybe?

It's getting put into service and looked at/repaired before I sign and take delivery. Dealer was awesome about it and put me in a loaner until it is resolved.
Old 03-24-16, 07:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I went to pick up the car today and immediately spotted some pretty noticeable suspension lean to the right rear. Ride height sensors maybe?

It's getting put into service and looked at/repaired before I sign and take delivery. Dealer was awesome about it and put me in a loaner until it is resolved.
This is good! Sounds like you have a great relationship started with the dealer. Good for them.
Old 03-24-16, 08:18 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
This is good! Sounds like you have a great relationship started with the dealer. Good for them.
So far, so good. We'll have to see what the problem ends up being.
Old 03-24-16, 09:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I was in the market about 2 years ago for a 2010+ LS sport exactly like yours. I finally gave up because at that time, there weren't any clean specimen (locally).

Driver's door had a bad pump where the pneumatic door wouldn't do the soft-close, other body issues, interior not well kept.....

Congrats on picking up a nice one there and getting your dealer to take care of those issues.
Old 03-24-16, 10:23 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I was in the market about 2 years ago for a 2010+ LS sport exactly like yours. I finally gave up because at that time, there weren't any clean specimen (locally).

Driver's door had a bad pump where the pneumatic door wouldn't do the soft-close, other body issues, interior not well kept.....

Congrats on picking up a nice one there and getting your dealer to take care of those issues.
Yeah, I wasn't even looking for a Sport specifically when I started looking. 2010+ w/ML in a Silver/Gray that was well looked after were my biggest wants.

I'll be relieved when it's resolved and in my possession. 😀
Old 03-24-16, 12:24 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

Weak airbag ended up being the culprit. Being replaced, realigned and reinspected.
Old 03-24-16, 12:27 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Weak airbag ended up being the culprit. Being replaced, realigned and reinspected.
If one goes out, the other 3 will be on their way out.....these things aint cheap!

At the very least, you should have them replaced in pairs.

Quick Reply: Becoming a Lexus owner again..