Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600hl brake actuators go bad too...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 06:00 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Default LS600hl brake actuators go bad too...

Yesterday morning after an hour of crawling through Atlanta traffic, I couldn't take my LS600hl (with 34K miles) brakes clicking, clunking creaking and shudder anymore! I took it to the dealer saying it drives like crap keep it until you figure out what's wrong with it...

Finally, after 18 months and five visits, Lexus agreed to change my actuator assembly...Results are amazing, car drives like brand new again... and quiet like a tomb

Apparently LS600 actuators go bad too, not only 460's... Cold weather aggravates the problem. Dealer was not convinced saying that it is only 460 problem...

Bill paid by CPO is below for your entertainment...
Attached Thumbnails LS600hl brake actuators go bad too...-actuator-bill.jpg  
Old 03-01-16, 06:49 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Indeed, LS600h is listed on the original TSIB for this problem...

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Yesterday morning after an hour of crawling through Atlanta traffic, I couldn't take my LS600hl (with 34K miles) brakes clicking, clunking creaking and shudder anymore! I took it to the dealer saying it drives like crap keep it until you figure out what's wrong with it...

Finally, after 18 months and five visits, Lexus agreed to change my actuator assembly...Results are amazing, car drives like brand new again... and quiet like a tomb

Apparently LS600 actuators go bad too, not only 460's... Cold weather aggravates the problem. Dealer was not convinced saying that it is only 460 problem...

Bill paid by CPO is below for your entertainment...
Glad it got resolved!
Old 03-02-16, 05:47 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Ouch. CPO is a nice thing..
Old 03-02-16, 10:24 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

What negatives happen from a bad break actuator? I ask because at light braking, I get a tap-tap-tap-tap... My tapping sound tapping rate is directly related to the speed of the vehicle. As I slow down, the tapping get's slower as the wheels slow down.

It's a light tapping. No passengers have ever said anything if they noticed. This tapping sound got much better when I had the front discs resurfaced. My thinking was that these tapping sounds was a loose control arm.

But asking here to see if it could possibly be the actuator. It only happens with light braking. If I stand on the brakes harder, it goes away.

7milesout
Old 03-02-16, 12:55 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

OP Glad you got your issue solved! Warranties definitely become your best friend in these types of situations.

Originally Posted by 7milesout
What negatives happen from a bad break actuator? I ask because at light braking, I get a tap-tap-tap-tap... My tapping sound tapping rate is directly related to the speed of the vehicle. As I slow down, the tapping get's slower as the wheels slow down.

It's a light tapping. No passengers have ever said anything if they noticed. This tapping sound got much better when I had the front discs resurfaced. My thinking was that these tapping sounds was a loose control arm.

But asking here to see if it could possibly be the actuator. It only happens with light braking. If I stand on the brakes harder, it goes away.

7milesout
As far as I know a "bad" brake actuator has no real negatives other than being annoying. I don't think there are any reports of an actual brake actuator failure. In my experience I had no reduced braking actuation. It was just that in lower speeds you'd hear this really annoying clicking sound. Passengers probably wouldn't notice it but as someone who spends quite a bit of time in the car you can tell instantly when something is off. Also in my case it was really apparent backing up while going forward wasn't too bad.

In your case is it a metallic tapping noise?
Old 03-02-16, 01:37 PM
rfam
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2012 ls460 has a 'popping' noise directly associated with the brakes. Seems like the noise is coming from the brake pedal area-the more I press the pedal, the more pops I hear. Very annoying. It does not have any effect that I can feel on brake performance.Seems now to happen all the time-hot or cold. When it first started, it was happening more so the first 10 miles or driving in stop and go traffic but now all the time. Dealer tech heard it as well and said he has heard it on other models but does not know the cause. I'm out of warranty but have it clearly documented it my services before warranty expired.
Old 03-02-16, 01:48 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by enoch861
Well yes. If I were to try to make a similar sound, I would think it would sound kind of like taking a screw-driver plastic handle and tapping it on a wheel stud (for example). Meaning, it sounds like the tapping sound is coming from something solidly bolted, and the bolted parts are metal, like (I would imagine) the sound would be coming from a control arm that is popping back and forth in the joint just under the castle nut.

I would mount my GoPro in there, drive, replicate then watch the video. But I don't think I can mount my GoPro in there securely enough to not loose the GoPro, and then run over it. But I may try it and find some way to cable tie it in case it comes loose. At least it wouldn't get crushed.

7milesout
Old 03-02-16, 01:49 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

RFAM - It's ashamed the tech couldn't find the cause. If its the brake actuators or related problems, maybe the dealership will step forward and repair the cause since its well documented and your warranty have expired. Maybe????????
Old 03-02-16, 02:26 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

OP Glad you got your issue solved! Warranties definitely become your best friend in these types of situations.

As far as I know a "bad" brake actuator has no real negatives other than being annoying. I don't think there are any reports of an actual brake actuator failure. In my experience I had no reduced braking actuation. It was just that in lower speeds you'd hear this really annoying clicking sound. Passengers probably wouldn't notice it but as someone who spends quite a bit of time in the car you can tell instantly when something is off. Also in my case it was really apparent backing up while going forward wasn't too bad.

So, if you don't have dash lights saying that the actuator failed there is no safety risk. Now for me, brake performance was not anywhere close of where it should be in a luxury car... shudder at low speed braking... clicking... clunking...poping before a full stop... if this is acceptable to you in a luxury car then actuator will not bother you... was not acceptable to me in a $45K investment, especially the $4.5K of it I paid to get the car CPOed. Lexus refused to change this in 5 visits and kept sending me off because they don't hear the noise... Well I do and it is not acceptable... So had to send a very strong message that I am leaving the car indefinitely until you figure it out...
Old 03-03-16, 01:23 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Well yes. If I were to try to make a similar sound, I would think it would sound kind of like taking a screw-driver plastic handle and tapping it on a wheel stud (for example). Meaning, it sounds like the tapping sound is coming from something solidly bolted, and the bolted parts are metal, like (I would imagine) the sound would be coming from a control arm that is popping back and forth in the joint just under the castle nut.

I would mount my GoPro in there, drive, replicate then watch the video. But I don't think I can mount my GoPro in there securely enough to not loose the GoPro, and then run over it. But I may try it and find some way to cable tie it in case it comes loose. At least it wouldn't get crushed.

7milesout
Hm.. That does sound like it could be the actuator then. If I were you I'd take it in and have them take a look at it. Don't tell them what you think the issue is, just tell them the symptoms and have them find the issue.
I'd definitely be care mounting the GoPro.. It wouldn't be too fun to run it over.

Originally Posted by hfahmy
So, if you don't have dash lights saying that the actuator failed there is no safety risk. Now for me, brake performance was not anywhere close of where it should be in a luxury car... shudder at low speed braking... clicking... clunking...poping before a full stop... if this is acceptable to you in a luxury car then actuator will not bother you... was not acceptable to me in a $45K investment, especially the $4.5K of it I paid to get the car CPOed. Lexus refused to change this in 5 visits and kept sending me off because they don't hear the noise... Well I do and it is not acceptable... So had to send a very strong message that I am leaving the car indefinitely until you figure it out...
I don't know if there's a dash light for the actuator, but yes. In my case the car braked smoothly with no judder or any issues like that. No thunking or clunking or popping like you seem to have. It was just a very annoying clicking sound and that was it. Braking was normal nothing was really out of place. I took it in and told them my symptoms and they replaced the actuator. Obviously none of those noises you're having would be acceptable and I would try a different dealer if the one you're dealing with isn't willing to help. The clicking noise isn't really acceptable either but for those wondering if it has any performance effects on braking, there are none; that was the point I was trying to make. In your situation though, I really hope that Lexus comes through and fixes your vehicle because what you're describing sounds dangerous.
Old 03-03-16, 02:04 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Hm.. That does sound like it could be the actuator then. If I were you I'd take it in and have them take a look at it. Don't tell them what you think the issue is, just tell them the symptoms and have them find the issue.
I'd definitely be care mounting the GoPro.. It wouldn't be too fun to run it over.
Taking it in would cost me money, unless I could have them cover it from Good Will. The car has less than 25k miles. Even though, I doubt they would cover it.

I'm going to wait until I get new tires, and an alignment. At that time, if they tell me my CA's are bad, I'll will replace them myself (and then get an alignment) and see if the noise goes away.

7milesout
Old 03-03-16, 07:35 PM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 07 LS460L and my brake actuator failed on me during rush hour, at that time I didn't know what went wrong. My vsc,brake lights went on and then my brakes pedal got really really stiff, I lost more than 50% of my brakes. I have to really use my leg to get my car to even slow down. To make a long story short, got my car towed and replaced the brake actuator, I have to fork out of pocket, 6k plus. Picked up my car after 3 weeks, my pocket is a lot lighter now but it was well worth it. My car drove like new again, stopped on a dime.
Old 03-03-16, 08:25 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Tdvlexo
I have an 07 LS460L and my brake actuator failed on me during rush hour, at that time I didn't know what went wrong. My vsc,brake lights went on and then my brakes pedal got really really stiff, I lost more than 50% of my brakes. I have to really use my leg to get my car to even slow down. To make a long story short, got my car towed and replaced the brake actuator, I have to fork out of pocket, 6k plus. Picked up my car after 3 weeks, my pocket is a lot lighter now but it was well worth it. My car drove like new again, stopped on a dime.
That's a lot of out of pocket cash for a repair bill and I'm glad it was well worth it for you. One of those dreaded repairs for 460 owners who have no or expired warranty. Hmmmm! I'm not sure what I would do but probably upgrade to newer LS.