LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VAIStech SL3B - Opinions/reviews/etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 08:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default VAIStech SL3B - Opinions/reviews/etc

I am seriously considering replacing my IVIC-D with the SL3B Bluetooth module. Yes, I know they're different - which is good and bad. Good, in that I will be rid of the PITA ivic which has been glitchy and buggy from day one, (ie: lines/bars in screen). This and other issues were never mentioned in threads (or on VAIS' website) before I purchased it, so I want to make sure I have ALL the information before I plunk my CDN .65 cent on the US dollar.

Sound quality?
Any issues - quirks, glitches, etc
Is it truly seamless to operate?
Screen text, (I have nav and self-park). Is it clear and easy to navigate through menus, steering wheel buttons/controls, etc.

Full disclosure please!
Old 01-29-16, 08:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

my customer got one installed in his ls460 (also replace his old mlp which is very similar to ivic) and he loves it. plain and simple interface, always works, and good sound quality.

it's basically the old sl2i-up but now bt. i have done over 60 sl2i-up install and few sl3b, never a single problem (outside user issues). for a simple audio playback setup i think it's a very good option
Old 01-29-16, 09:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
my customer got one installed in his ls460 (also replace his old mlp which is very similar to ivic) and he loves it. plain and simple interface, always works, and good sound quality.

it's basically the old sl2i-up but now bt. i have done over 60 sl2i-up install and few sl3b, never a single problem (outside user issues). for a simple audio playback setup i think it's a very good option
I appreciate the input Rominl!
Old 01-29-16, 09:37 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine is very good now with the most recent firmware update. And it's on my 04 LS430!
Old 01-30-16, 05:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

FWIW, I will be putting up my Vais ivic-d for sale, if anyone's interested. Looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the SL3B.
Old 01-31-16, 04:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Just ordered it through Amazon,,,,free two day shipping even!

Should have it installed by end of the week.

So if anyone is interested in my IVIC-D, hit me up. I'll even include the Chromecast Dongle
Old 02-01-16, 06:48 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Is this primarily Bluetooth audio or are there other features? I read where one user said it connected perfectly to both his address book/phone use, and the Vais at the same time.
Old 02-01-16, 08:09 AM
JiffyPop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was originally going to buy the sl3b but found out it does not support bluetooth aptx codec. If you have a phone that supports aptx audio, the sound quality difference is quite noticable over standard bluetooth. Especially when you have the ML system. I ended up buying a JL Audio MBT-RX bluetooth adapter and wired it to the factory aux input and am very pleased. Sure there is no track data displayed or the ability to seek through tracks but I'm comfortable with that. If I wanted to toggle through tracks, there are bluetooth controllers for the car that can be added.
Old 02-01-16, 08:53 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by R Z
Is this primarily Bluetooth audio or are there other features? I read where one user said it connected perfectly to both his address book/phone use, and the Vais at the same time.
Yes, it's just Bluetooth audio. Everything is controlled just like a newer LS with bluetooth streaming would have (like my wife's CT200h). Everything is seamless....track controls, folders, etc thru the steering wheel controls, and everything displayed on the nav screen. Also any music apps, such as Songza, TunedIn Radio, etc can all be streamed through the module. I'll be getting the unit on wednesday and installing it myself on Thursday. Not sure if I should post a DIY on it or not. Regardless, I'll take pics and decide after.
Old 02-01-16, 10:16 AM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Not sure if I should post a DIY on it or not. Regardless, I'll take pics and decide after.
i've been interested in this product for over a year. would definitely appreciate a DIY...
Old 02-01-16, 10:25 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Me too. I have an iPhone6 though. Can I connect to both this module and the Vais at the same time?
Old 02-01-16, 12:59 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Gotcha. So it's a data buster then. I don't have unlimited data. I'm looking for the usb support. I'd love to load a usb with all my mp3's and have them play through the ML system with screen visual.
Old 02-01-16, 04:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by R Z
Gotcha. So it's a data buster then. I don't have unlimited data. I'm looking for the usb support. I'd love to load a usb with all my mp3's and have them play through the ML system with screen visual.
No it's Bluetooth. No data (unless you plan to use data streaming for certain apps). I'll mostly be using it for streaming my stored music from my phone. No wires, etc and the ability to control everything from the steering wheel controls, such as track advance, folder selections, etc.
Old 02-02-16, 07:27 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No it's Bluetooth. No data (unless you plan to use data streaming for certain apps). I'll mostly be using it for streaming my stored music from my phone. No wires, etc and the ability to control everything from the steering wheel controls, such as track advance, folder selections, etc.
Ok I see the value for you. If you load music on your phone then it makes sense. What music I don't have stored on hard drives is mostly on an old ipod which isn't bluetooth. That's why I'd love to have the usb feature that started with the 2010 model.
Old 02-03-16, 02:39 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Installed it today. Awesome! Sounds amazing, with no hiss or noise like the AUX input has. Everything displayed on the screen and full controls from the steering wheel.....volume, track selection, etc.
The following users liked this post:
JosefR (01-29-21)

Quick Reply: VAIStech SL3B - Opinions/reviews/etc