LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Xpel Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 11:14 PM
intlms
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Oh oh, what happens when you apply it to cars that have been repainted or touched up?
If it's repainted you have to make sure that it is a good quality paint or else these ppf can peel them off while installing it. I install Xpel and 3M kits for Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes for living and I have seen quite a few repainted bumpers or hood peeling while I was installing it. As for the touch up paint, just tell your installer to be aware of it or else, it could also get peeled.

The reason why it could get peeled is that as a installer sometimes when we applied them we have to peel them back off to reposition them. This is when paint could be peeled if it's not adhered well to the car. I have never seen factory paint peeling yet.
Old 01-29-16, 11:22 PM
intlms
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been installing ppf for over 13 years and 12 years out of that I have used 3M scotchgaurd and 3M Ventureshield. Last year I have moved on to Xpel for their superior quality, finish, and ease of installation by their awesome team of designers. Their design kits fit almost perfect. 3M design kits fit like crap compare to Xpel. Many installers won't tell you but when the kit does not fit, we have to trim them on the car. If we are not careful, we could cut into paint (which owners can't see). You will most likely never know until you peel them off. This is why perfect fitting kit is very important. Many installer might use Xpel vinyl but use different software to cut the kit out of it. Just make sure that they use a good program but stay away from 3M software if they use them. I really do hate using 3M designs. Their kit needs lots of trimming and it mean cutting on the car. Hopefully your installer will be good enough not to cut through the paint.
Old 01-30-16, 11:06 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've had both 3M and now the SunTek which is very similar, it's way better than the 3M. The 3M was a little cloudy, finish was a little peel-y and it got a little yellow even in only 2 years.

My installer (same one who did the 3M to the GS) had stopped using it by the time I got the LS and had moved on to the XPel and the SunTek
Good to know, living in New York I've never had a car for longer than 2 years without someone hitting in to me and forcing me to buy another car unless I keep it garaged.
Old 01-30-16, 11:09 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by intlms
I have been installing ppf for over 13 years and 12 years out of that I have used 3M scotchgaurd and 3M Ventureshield. Last year I have moved on to Xpel for their superior quality, finish, and ease of installation by their awesome team of designers. Their design kits fit almost perfect. 3M design kits fit like crap compare to Xpel. Many installers won't tell you but when the kit does not fit, we have to trim them on the car. If we are not careful, we could cut into paint (which owners can't see). You will most likely never know until you peel them off. This is why perfect fitting kit is very important. Many installer might use Xpel vinyl but use different software to cut the kit out of it. Just make sure that they use a good program but stay away from 3M software if they use them. I really do hate using 3M designs. Their kit needs lots of trimming and it mean cutting on the car. Hopefully your installer will be good enough not to cut through the paint.
What this kit cutting software. All the videos I saw were massive pieces draped over and cut to fit after. Are you saying some already come fitted for no to little cutting?
Old 01-30-16, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Some installers custom cut, but most use pre-cut kits cut from a computer.
Old 01-30-16, 01:40 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Some installers custom cut, but most use pre-cut kits cut from a computer.
Interesting. I never knew that. I'm seriously looking into doing the firewall forward package on my '14 as well as my new Tacoma too.
Old 01-30-16, 05:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd definitely do it...
Old 01-30-16, 07:15 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

I'd definitely do it...
Well it turns out that there actually are a few local dealers for Suntek after all! How stupid for the corporate office to write and tell me otherwise! I have a few calls in and will be making a decision soon. Considering I got the '14 with 5k miles I will still need to clean up the paint a bit but like the idea of just removing the light water spots and letting the coating fix the lack of shine. Best compromise when dealing with fine scratches and swirl marks etc. Now the paint can look like brand new! Sounds like the best idea for a used car, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-30-16, 07:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I would polish it as well as you can underneath, but it should just cover up those minor imperfections.
Old 08-24-17, 01:43 PM
Lynneizle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys know about SkipChips ?
I believe the Lexus Dealership calls it 'Performance Clear Shield'. $1399
Old 08-27-17, 12:05 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynneizle
What do you guys know about SkipChips ?
I believe the Lexus Dealership calls it 'Performance Clear Shield'. $1399
Never head of SkipChips sorry. But since you bumped an old thread, I will add my 2 cents. I have Suntek on my wife SUV. My installer used to install XPEL but he said Suntek is better. He said XPEL makes the software for all the precut PPF no matter the film manufacturer. He said they are the only company that did that and then they decided to get into the PPF business and offer their own film. Don't take this as gospel but that is what my installer told me.

Installers are sales guys too and they will push the product they want to install. By far from what I have read and heard from installers, Suntek is much easier to install since the can stick on remove and manipulate the PPF more easily. Does that benefit the consumer? Probably not. There are some really good XPEL installers out there. And from what I can put together, XPEL is the better PPF with a better warranty. A good installer may not do the application of PPF justice but a skilled one can make XPEL invisible.
-----------
On another note, my installer DeDona in Greensboro, NC did not impress me with his work on his superior Suntek PPF. This guy is a smooth talking installer and salesman for sure and has a rebuttal for any concern I had before I committed to him. He promised outstanding install but didn't deliver that. After the install and my disatisfaction, he said he didn't want me to leave unhappy but made no offer to make me happy. In the end, I walked out unhappy but what could I do. The only thing he could say is he is not a robot and no install is going to be perfect. He and his other installer kept urging me to look at the install they are doing on a $100K car (Lexus LC) and I said it doesn't matter to me since it is not my car. (I didn't mention, I own a $130K car which I bought new, admittedly not that value now with depreciation through the years.) Coincidentally I am considering buying and LC...

Don't get me wrong, Dedona did not do a terrible install but considering his reputation and my brother-in-law saying Dedona was the best which is why he had his GTR done by them. There is another guy that does exclusive XPEL Ultimate installer in Winston-Salem that has a great reputation and even recommended by car stereo dealers that have their own PPF installers. I may venture to that guy on another vehicle. Okay, sorry for the gripe session.