ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Xpel Paint Protection Film (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/810676-xpel-paint-protection-film.html)

Dr. Jekyll 01-28-16 03:02 PM

Xpel Paint Protection Film

I know that car wrap and clear films are all the rage now and came across these guys. They offer multiple application kits and even headlight protection. Anyone here ever try them or have any experience using or installing them?

Chuckinnj 01-28-16 05:14 PM

If you want it "done right"..... Go to a pro and get a "self healing/non yellowing" film like the Xpel.
Xpel Ultimate is one of the best films out there but I would not suggest doing a full front end yourself unless you are experienced with installing films. I would do a DIY on headlights but NOT a full front end because of the $1200 materials that may be wasted if you make a mistake. I have seen the entire front end done on some cars and it is "invisible" when done right by an Xpel pro.
I plan on doing my head lights with the Xpel this Spring....... $70 is a small investment for headlight protection.

Dr. Jekyll 01-28-16 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj (Post 9342376)
If you want it "done right"..... Go to a pro and get a "self healing/non yellowing" film like the Xpel.
Xpel Ultimate is one of the best films out there but I would not suggest doing a full front end yourself unless you are experienced with installing films. I would do a DIY on headlights but NOT a full front end because of the $1200 materials that may be wasted if you make a mistake. I have seen the entire front end done on some cars and it is "invisible" when done right by an Xpel pro.
I plan on doing my head lights with the Xpel this Spring....... $70 is a small investment for headlight protection.

Oh yeah I hear you on the full front end. I'm thinking of starting with the headlights anyway. Like you said $60 to protect $3,000 worth of OEM lights seems logical.

SW17LS 01-28-16 07:26 PM

I have a full front SunTek kit on mine. Chose it over the Xpel because its glossier and clearer at my installers recommendation. Very happy with it.

I would not install it myself.

Dr. Jekyll 01-28-16 09:14 PM

Interesting. Never heard of that, I'll have to look them up here. Thanks for the tip.

isfdude 01-29-16 01:38 AM

I always use 3M

SW17LS 01-29-16 06:41 AM

I've had both 3M and now the SunTek which is very similar, it's way better than the 3M. The 3M was a little cloudy, finish was a little peel-y and it got a little yellow even in only 2 years.

My installer (same one who did the 3M to the GS) had stopped using it by the time I got the LS and had moved on to the XPel and the SunTek

Dr. Jekyll 01-29-16 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by SW15LS (Post 9342518)
I have a full front SunTek kit on mine. Chose it over the Xpel because its glossier and clearer at my installers recommendation. Very happy with it.

I would not install it myself.

When you say full front is that everything forward of the firewall? How much was it? Do you have your headlights coated and did it affect the light at all?

SW17LS 01-29-16 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
When you say full front is that everything forward of the firewall? How much was it? Do you have your headlights coated and did it affect the light at all?

Yep, everything ahead of the firewall, the mirror backs, and the headlights. I paid $1,400 which is pretty typical.

You would never know there was film on it, including the headlights. It's 100% invisible.

I had 3M Ventureshield on my GS which was a 1/4 hood and fenders job where you could see the line, I paid $700 or so for that. This film is much smoother and clearer. That car was silver though so it wasn't that big a deal it was a little cloudy.

I'll never drive another car without PPF again.

Dr. Jekyll 01-29-16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SW15LS (Post 9343422)
Yep, everything ahead of the firewall, the mirror backs, and the headlights. I paid $1,400 which is pretty typical.

You would never know there was film on it, including the headlights. It's 100% invisible.

I had 3M Ventureshield on my GS which was a 1/4 hood and fenders job where you could see the line, I paid $700 or so for that. This film is much smoother and clearer. That car was silver though so it wasn't that big a deal it was a little cloudy.

I'll never drive another car with PPF again.

You mean you'll never drive a car "without" it right?

Well I just got some bad news. No Suntek dealer in the State of Hawaii.

SW17LS 01-29-16 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll (Post 9343451)
You mean you'll never drive a car "without" it right?

Well I just got some bad news. No Suntek dealer in the State of Hawaii.

I do mean without it LOL

If no SunTek then I would do the Xpel. They are very similar according to my installer.

The self healing is amazing too BTW.

Chuckinnj 01-29-16 06:19 PM

I have seen both Xpel and Sun Tek...... You can't go wrong with either one because both are high quality films and undetectable when applied to FACTORY paint.

Dr. Jekyll 01-29-16 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj (Post 9343750)
I have seen both Xpel and Sun Tek...... You can't go wrong with either one because both are high quality films and undetectable when applied to FACTORY paint.

Oh oh, what happens when you apply it to cars that have been repainted or touched up?

AznRacer 01-29-16 08:14 PM

I'm also interested in getting this done to my ls. I loves the look of black car but man it's a pain to keep the front bumper clean all the time. Thanks for the tips everyone I need to look for a local installer to get this done before springs comes around.

XF40FSPORT 01-29-16 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll (Post 9342386)
Oh yeah I hear you on the full front end. I'm thinking of starting with the headlights anyway. Like you said $60 to protect $3,000 worth of OEM lights seems logical.

If/when you guys do the headlights, please do a DIY and share please.