LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car rarity

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 07:58 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Here in Elvis country (thank you . . . thank you very much!), the LS460 (07-12) are plentiful. I see them every time I am out and about. I don't see nearly as many 2013+, but lately I've seen several cruisin' around town.
Old 01-07-16, 09:43 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark
I'm from Quebec, Canada and yes LS are so rare that people don't even know the car. Rarety does make me want it, actually, i was browsing for one for 2 years not finding the right options groups or color combo.
I'm in the Montreal suburbs... We have 2 of them (a 2009 and a 2010). We're all alone here (or around!)

As for Montreal, I've seen 2 so far in the past 2 years...
Old 01-07-16, 10:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Hi... they are rare as hens teeths here in Norway ... and the rest of Europe
Yes indeed. I drove all over Spain and France for 5 weeks in 2012 and again in 2014. I saw ONE LS460 just outside of Barcelona. I REALLY wanted to stop the driver and speak to him about it, but my Spanish is nil.
Old 01-07-16, 10:15 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I live in an uppity town. There was 4 of them at the same intersection not that long ago. Lots of S550's and a few Lambos. Did get behind an SLS one day too.

You know what I did notice, is I don't recognize the 13+ LS460's right away like I do the 07-12's...
Old 01-07-16, 10:26 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm from the Netherlands.
My LS 600h is my third Lexus in seven years, in that time i have only seen a couple LS's.
Only the CT 200h is a common car here, a couple RX's and IS's but rarely a GS or SC.
So i can say: "My car is rare."
Old 01-07-16, 10:34 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see many of the refresh LS' at all. I actually had one come up behind me in traffic on I-80 however...at first I thought it might be a GS as I looked up in my mirror...I say that because the LS hides its size very well. It doesn't look like a large car, it's very svelte. Love it. This one was in Liquid Platinum...it was the first refresh LS I've seen in a long time...and that's between Sac and SF. Pretty cool. Not a lot of LS 3rd gen models at all, and when I do see them, they are the 07-09 ish ones. Just gorgeous cars, all of 'em.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 01-07-16 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-07-16, 11:04 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

I can honestly say, since I bought my SGM 2008 LS600hL in 2012, I have only seen one 600hL on the road with me at the same time. And it was the deep red color. And that happened a few months ago. I saw a white 600hL parked at a restaurant once. Other than that, I never see 600s. I see LS460s alot here in ATL. I live in one of the largest suburb Atlanta counties and I drive my 600hL daily about 30 miles, but I don't go into the heart of Atlanta where I think I would see more.
Old 01-07-16, 12:47 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

im in Orlando, FL, large city, and its very much a Lexus town

Ls460s are about as common as dirt here. I see them constantly. strangley enough though I see mostly 2010-2012 460L's the most, and almost every 13+ I see is a 460L, and there always pearl white or black.

I don't see very many Ls600hL's though at all, but when I do they are always 2008ish. I always make a note of it when I see one. ive seen a grey one, a red one, and two white ones. just today for the first time I saw a current refresh 600hL, black on tan, in the service drive.

Ls430s are still everyday sightings, starting to see some that are looking a little rough around the edges, I see more 01-03 versions than I see 04-06, and lots in cypress pearl which everyone says its a rare color but not so much around here, 3 out of every 5 seems to be.

Ls400s are dwindling fast. I don't see too many of them on the roads anymore at all, even the later ones, and when I do they are usually slammed stanced and cut up, or absolutely beat to death sadly as im a big time Ls400 guy.

Like I said though, Orlando is a bigtime Lexus town, on some days I can be sitting in traffic and literally every single car at the intersection is a Lexus of some sort, and that's in rush hour traffic! its mostly an endless sea of RX and ES models of all eras, then lots of LS and IS, with the occasional GS and CT, oh and the GX is a big hit here too, once in awhile, something cool and obscure shows up in the wild like a GS460 or a Ls600hL
Old 01-07-16, 02:19 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I probably see one or two LS460's a week in Mass and I drive 600 miles a week, so if they're out there I'd certainly see them.
Old 01-07-16, 02:24 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not too many here in MI, even in the nice parts. ES and IS are relatively common, RX's are everywhere, some guy in my parent's neighborhood has 3, all diff generations. I see more 07-09s out of 460s. Can't remember the last time I've seen a 600 in MI other than the auto show, did see a few when I was a student in Chicago. Most cars here are pretty dull, I envy all you CA and FL guys that are able to see nice cars all day! Most flagships around here are S-classes (which I absolutely love the new design), 7's and A8's aren't too uncommon either. The 10-12's are a rare sighting, and not many 13+'s here other than a few at the dealership.

My '12 must stand out some b/c it gets unexpected attention from time to time. Just the other day, I was picking up some pizza and walk out to find a new ES with like 4 passengers parked along my LS all just admiring the car lol. I even caught one guy taking a picture lol.
Old 01-07-16, 03:38 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Not too many here in MI, even in the nice parts. ES and IS are relatively common, RX's are everywhere, some guy in my parent's neighborhood has 3, all diff generations. I see more 07-09s out of 460s. Can't remember the last time I've seen a 600 in MI other than the auto show, did see a few when I was a student in Chicago. Most cars here are pretty dull, I envy all you CA and FL guys that are able to see nice cars all day! Most flagships around here are S-classes (which I absolutely love the new design), 7's and A8's aren't too uncommon either. The 10-12's are a rare sighting, and not many 13+'s here other than a few at the dealership.

My '12 must stand out some b/c it gets unexpected attention from time to time. Just the other day, I was picking up some pizza and walk out to find a new ES with like 4 passengers parked along my LS all just admiring the car lol. I even caught one guy taking a picture lol.
ill just go ahead and rub some salt in the wound
since I work at a huge lexus dealership, in a posh part of town, and have worked both sales and service here, ive gotten to not only see, but play with some very neat toys.
only lexus I haven't driven is an LFA, ive driven just about all the AMG Mercs, the CLS63 was very enjoyable, so was the S55 and the C63, the BMW M5 is as awesome to drive as everyone says it is, the B7 Alpina almost makes me want to convert lol. the Audi S8 was kind of disappointing though, however the R8 was one hell of a car. the Porsche Panamera is a neat car but seems confused in a way as a sedan, and there SUVs are awful. however the 911 is fun so is the Carrera. the Aston Martin DB9 is one hell of a car, but the Lotus was less than great. the new Jag XK and XJ look cool but not great performers. the Nissan GT-R was very VERY fast, and the Bentley coupe was fun but very heavy feeling.

you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that shows up as trade-ins here. and I have them all at my fingertips. its amazing how quickly one can become a car snob. but I love my job and where I work. its a very very cool place to be.
Old 01-07-16, 03:38 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ha, I guess I jinxed myself. Just today I saw a pearl white refresh drive past me. It was probably the same (and lone) one I saw the past year, though!

It was kind of funny, but he was dead staring at me probably thinking the same thing I was while I was staring at his car, "wow, there's another!" Lol.

I have not seen ONE 600, though, at least not in my neck of the woods.
Old 01-07-16, 04:51 PM
Corkman
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the Sacramento area and new to Lexus with a nice 05 ES. Its is the opposite for me. I find my self driving in a sea of ES here. I have to keep mine real clean and shinny to stand out in the crowed. Your right the 4th gen LS is a rare sighting around here.
Old 01-07-16, 09:00 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
ill just go ahead and rub some salt in the wound
since I work at a huge lexus dealership, in a posh part of town, and have worked both sales and service here, ive gotten to not only see, but play with some very neat toys.
only lexus I haven't driven is an LFA, ive driven just about all the AMG Mercs, the CLS63 was very enjoyable, so was the S55 and the C63, the BMW M5 is as awesome to drive as everyone says it is, the B7 Alpina almost makes me want to convert lol. the Audi S8 was kind of disappointing though, however the R8 was one hell of a car. the Porsche Panamera is a neat car but seems confused in a way as a sedan, and there SUVs are awful. however the 911 is fun so is the Carrera. the Aston Martin DB9 is one hell of a car, but the Lotus was less than great. the new Jag XK and XJ look cool but not great performers. the Nissan GT-R was very VERY fast, and the Bentley coupe was fun but very heavy feeling.

you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that shows up as trade-ins here. and I have them all at my fingertips. its amazing how quickly one can become a car snob. but I love my job and where I work. its a very very cool place to be.
That is a nice list, and very nice to have access to such sweet cars all the time! For someone my age who does not work for the auto industry, I feel I have been fortunate to drive some pretty nice cars. I've pretty much driven the entire Lexus range, save for the LFA and the big SUV's GX/LX, mostly as loaners when my car was in for a service. Driven half the Mercedes lineup (non-AMGs sadly), with the S-class being a personal favorite ( and hopefully next car). Driven a good chunk of the BMW lineup, with honorable mentions going to the E92 M3 6spd (the thrust in 1st and 2nd gears! ) and the 750 (liked it a lot, let the flames begin ). Driven some Audis, nothing too exciting A4 and A5, would love a go at an R8, and eventually will get around to trying an A8.

By far my favorite was a 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider, my buddy and I rented one in Vegas. Not only was it the fastest car I've ever driven, the sound it made was phenomenal, and power delivery was very smooth. Incredible car, and will definitely be a life goal to own something like it. Another cool one is a Nascar that I drove, was at Disney they had a small track laid out, I was actually there for a med conference, but the attending and I skipped a day to race around there. Anyways, I am envious of all the cool cars you're always around and can understand how one can become a bit jaded

Almost forgot, this summer my buddy bought a 996 Turbo with a 6 spd. He found the car in CO, so I flew out there to meet up with him and we road tripped it all the way back to MI. Those were a fantastic few days!

Last edited by CarGuy89; 01-07-16 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-08-16, 06:26 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see two 2010-2012 and one 2013+ when I drive 2009 in the garage at work. All AWD SWB. There even could be more parked at higher levels.

Last edited by ChrisK; 01-08-16 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Car rarity