Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Smashed LS600HL - looking for help with the details

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 01:14 PM
raptorht
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smashed LS600HL - looking for help with the details

Rear ended LS600HL.

I've only had her 3 months and I get rear ended. Blam!

I am going through the painful process of getting the other driver's insurance to commit to the repairs. I am going to insist that it gets repaired by my local Lexus collision center. Hopefully that won't be too much of a fight. I would like to get some fellow members to provide some advice on what to look out for. Mainly looking for the little details that are easily overlooked but I am open to all opinions and suggestions. I want to be as prepared as I can when inspecting the collision center's work when they are all done with the repairs.

Just doing a little research I am already putting "diminished value" and "sunroof caving" on my list. What else do you think I should look out for?
Old 09-25-15, 01:25 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for your loss!

I chose not to buy one LS460 local to me because of (among other issues) poor-quality repair to a rear bumper damaged much less severely than this. Two issues were visible: 1) the plastic of the bumper was slightly wavy after the repair, and 2) the bumper was poorly aligned with the rear quarter panel along the seam below the taillight. That seam has been troublesome even on cars that don't have damage, so watch it carefully.

Looks like the quarter panel itself is damaged too, so inspect the metal very carefully from a variety of angles.

Also looks like you'll need a new trunk lid, so make sure the badges are placed correctly. Poorly placed badges are often the most obvious sign that a car has had rear-end body work.

Finally, have an alignment shop look over the car after the repairs are complete. I could imagine this accident damaging the rear suspension, which could lead to unpredictable handling or premature tire wear if not fixed.
Old 09-25-15, 01:30 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Frame Damage

1. The major concern would be frame damage.
2. Where are the batteries in the car and how do they absorb impacts. If there was any involvement of the battery compartment that would make me nervous about their longevity.
*Was the other vehicle totaled? And what kind of car was it?

Sorry this happened to you. Happy you could walk away to talk about it. Have a good weekend...
Old 09-25-15, 01:38 PM
raptorht
Driver School Candidate

The other vehicle had nearly no damage. Just a crack in the plastic grill... Ford Explorer.

Thanks for the tips on the seams and badges, that's the kind of stuff I am looking for.

The car was drivable at first, but the 12V battery was leaking (you can see it spilling out in the pic) so it's not drivable any more. Luckily it is already at the collision center, so it won't need to be towed.
Old 09-25-15, 01:57 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Glad that you seem to be ok.
Unfortunate that this happened to you, but hopefully the end result will be to your desire.

I have attached a few different links below. One in particular a thread that was very similar to this one, as a member was badly rear-ended and ended up getting his car fixed, although it wasn't a 600h, but a 460L.
A lot of great insight was posted in the thread and hopefully it will serves as a source of information for you and help you.

Good luck!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ear-ended.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-in-trunk.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...questions.html
Old 09-25-15, 02:26 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Having one of the best automobiles in the world for only 3 months and you get rear ended. I know that's disappointing and when it's repaired it just isn't same. Keep us posted.
Old 09-25-15, 02:28 PM
raptorht
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the links CRowe14 I am going to add "check for water leaks into trunk" and "paint matching" to my list.

Does anyone have any experience with getting paint work on the LS? One of the things I love about the LS600H is the metallic paint highlights that are embedded into the factory paint. Is that going to be lost on the repaired portion of the car or will the Lexus collision center be able to replicate that look?
Old 09-25-15, 03:29 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by raptorht
One of the things I love about the LS600H is the metallic paint highlights that are embedded into the factory paint. Is that going to be lost on the repaired portion of the car or will the Lexus collision center be able to replicate that look?
Sorry to hear about your accident.

Last year I had some one gently rear end my bumper and cracked it, so it had to be replaced. I used a top notch independent shop to do the repair. The rear bumper had to be replaced. I can look at the bumper in all different lights and all different angles and I can't tell any difference from stock, a perfect match. So don't accept anything less from your repair shop.

BTW, why were you rear ended? Was the other driver on their cell or texting?
Old 09-25-15, 08:04 PM
raptorht
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

BTW, why were you rear ended? Was the other driver on their cell or texting?
I'll just say that i don't have anything against dogs but if you are going to take them somewhere, then strap them in or crate them, don't take them up front with you. Common sense to me but maybe not for others...
Old 09-26-15, 10:33 AM
zeyger
Former Sponsor

Ouch, sorry for your loss. Glad you're OK!

If you have access to an attorney, contact them in the event the insurance company starts low balling. Once insurance companies hear that an attorney is involved, they move much quicker. Their goal is to avoid going to court at all costs.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-15, 11:58 AM
HenriChaz
Driver School Candidate

Default Lose

I would try to get it declared total loss. Some shops will keep estimate low to avoid total loss then discover additional damage which they will submit to insurance company after there is an.
Take it to Lexus for your repair estimate as you have the choice of what shop to use.
From your picture, there appears to be a lot of damage and will never be perfect after its "fixed". Plus, it will show in cars history which effects your value down the road.
Old 09-26-15, 06:27 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Insurance companies generally don't compensate you for "diminished value". Good luck!
Old 09-26-15, 08:26 PM
HenriChaz
Driver School Candidate

Absolutely agree with ☝which is why you don't settle for anything less than what you had before their insured hit you.
Old 09-27-15, 07:09 PM
GearGrind
Driver School Candidate

Poor car...
Old 10-05-15, 02:45 PM
raptorht
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have a close up picture of the sunroof of an LS460L or LS600HL? Insurance adjuster is not putting the sunroof repair into the estimate and I want to be able to show them that the roof area should be flat and not concave. The sunroof still works fine but the roof is "dimpled" on all 4 corners. I'm not sure if that is how it is supposed to look because I never really looked that closely before the accident.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Smashed LS600HL - looking for help with the details