LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Was the Control Arm issue prevalent in '09

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 08:23 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
Sorry do dig up this old thread but I'm curious to know something...with the original Lexus control arms that failed, was it an issue with the bushings going bad prematurely or the actual control arm breaking, cracking or failing in some way?
It's the bushings. I've never heard of a failure of the arm portion of a 4LS control arm, either OEM or aftermarket. I'm still reluctant to trust the aftermarket parts based on my own and others' experiences with parts on different cars.

If it's simply the bushings that are going bad, then it's more of a comfort thing and less of a safety issue?
It's still a safety issue for a number of reasons, although a less severe one. First, shot bushings substantially increase the momentary loads on other suspension components when there is a transition (such as a braking event or a sharp corner). That could increase the likelihood of something like a control arm or a tie rod failing catastrophically. Second, shot bushings effectively put the car out of alignment (and in different ways on acceleration and braking), giving less accurate steering control and potentially less grip in an emergency situation. Third, this failure on the LS in particular tends to lead to inner-edge tire wear, to the point where members have posted that they had exposed belts on the far inner edges when there was still plenty of tread on most of the tire. That type of wear is hard to see unless you're looking very carefully and may go unnoticed for too long.
Old 09-22-15, 12:25 PM
gsbeforels
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dal20402
It's the bushings. I've never heard of a failure of the arm portion of a 4LS control arm, either OEM or aftermarket. I'm still reluctant to trust the aftermarket parts based on my own and others' experiences with parts on different cars.

It's still a safety issue for a number of reasons, although a less severe one. First, shot bushings substantially increase the momentary loads on other suspension components when there is a transition (such as a braking event or a sharp corner). That could increase the likelihood of something like a control arm or a tie rod failing catastrophically. Second, shot bushings effectively put the car out of alignment (and in different ways on acceleration and braking), giving less accurate steering control and potentially less grip in an emergency situation. Third, this failure on the LS in particular tends to lead to inner-edge tire wear, to the point where members have posted that they had exposed belts on the far inner edges when there was still plenty of tread on most of the tire. That type of wear is hard to see unless you're looking very carefully and may go unnoticed for too long.
Thinking the same thing as I had what I thought were the Control arms replaced by Se*ell here in dallas to only have the same popping and squeaking noise reoccur a few months later, I ordered a set of after market bushings from eBay but of course they don't want to touch them and now telling me the noise I'm hearing are actually the brake rotors(they didn't install might add) which are also aftermarket, I'm at a loss, love the LS but sick of the panny anny repairs even if my extended warranty does cover!!!