LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My 2007 LS460L got rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

We'll see. They don't tear the car down to do an estimate, that costs them labor that they don't get compensated for. $11k seems nearly impossibly low.

Sometimes shops will even lowball the estimate and then jack it up afterwards so they can get some labor out of the insurance company.
Old 07-25-15, 04:52 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrcoach
Swfla I absolutely agree and I did mention it I was told all the big parts like hood and fenders were oem and as far as paint goes he offers a lifetime warranty on his work and the paint will look better than new.
We shall see about that..
Interesting claim by a body shop. You might want to check these videos:

(painting process starts at 3:03)

Old 07-25-15, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And the LS actually has a hand sanded paint job. Other Lexus vehicles don't.
Old 07-25-15, 06:46 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Nice videos. I looked for a LS specific one, but no luck.
Old 07-25-15, 08:57 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

OP, sorry didn't want to highjack your thread. But wanted to provide some additional information about how automated these manufacturing processes are and in particular at the Takara plant. Takara plant is where all LS models are made and is the most automated auto manufacturing plant in the world. Welding, machining, painting jobs etc all are automated to get high precision, consistent accuracy.

More info can be found at :
http://wardsauto.com/ar/lexus_manufa...g_japan_090626 ( The LS is given six coats of paint, including two base and two clear coats. Spray angle and stroke are programmed to replicate the best of human painters. Select coats are wet-sanded to create a superior sheen. )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahara_plant

http://www.bloomberg.com/ss/07/07/07...s/index_01.htm

On the attached pdf below "For example, although the LS 600h L is a mass-production vehicle, plant officials arranged for one of the best, most renowned car painters to paint a new LS by hand to illustrate what can be achieved when the highest levels of quality are all that are acceptable. As a result, the finishing touches on each LS models’ exterior paint are also done by hand." - finishing touches on 600 by hand, what constitutes the finishing touches - I am not much knowledgeable about painting process.
Attached Files
Old 07-25-15, 05:06 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice video and information I really enjoyed them thanks but I'm not sure what the point is?
I called the body shop again today and he told me he's been in business for 40 years they have a lifetime warranty on there paint and body work 100% satisfaction guarantee. I asked him about his estimate and he said he guaranteed that price.
I spoke to many car guys and people that own vintage cars in my area and they all use this guy. He's done many ls460s and S550s
He said it's simple it looked much worse that it was. He is getting oem parts. I don't know what else to do or say. I know we all thought it was more money or a total loss. He has 30 hours labor for paint and 65 hours labor on the body work.
We shall see..

Originally Posted by satiger
OP, sorry didn't want to highjack your thread. But wanted to provide some additional information about how automated these manufacturing processes are and in particular at the Takara plant. Takara plant is where all LS models are made and is the most automated auto manufacturing plant in the world. Welding, machining, painting jobs etc all are automated to get high precision, consistent accuracy.

More info can be found at :
http://wardsauto.com/ar/lexus_manufa...g_japan_090626 ( The LS is given six coats of paint, including two base and two clear coats. Spray angle and stroke are programmed to replicate the best of human painters. Select coats are wet-sanded to create a superior sheen. )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahara_plant

http://www.bloomberg.com/ss/07/07/07...s/index_01.htm

On the attached pdf below "For example, although the LS 600h L is a mass-production vehicle, plant officials arranged for one of the best, most renowned car painters to paint a new LS by hand to illustrate what can be achieved when the highest levels of quality are all that are acceptable. As a result, the finishing touches on each LS models’ exterior paint are also done by hand." - finishing touches on 600 by hand, what constitutes the finishing touches - I am not much knowledgeable about painting process.
Old 07-26-15, 04:55 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

The point is (since you "asked") many of us are very enthusiastic about sharing our knowledge and helping others out. We sometimes repeat what others have already said and/or take it to the extreme. So, just enjoy the ride and share what you've learned when you can.
Old 07-26-15, 06:56 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

100% agree I'm still in a lot of pain from the accident and I get frustrated with this whole process and I feel pretty down and pissed off some days. I value the sharing of knowledge here it's priceless. I lost that loving feeling I feel like my cars been violated its crazy. Thanks again for all the input I will keep you posted.

Originally Posted by swfla
The point is (since you "asked") many of us are very enthusiastic about sharing our knowledge and helping others out. We sometimes repeat what others have already said and/or take it to the extreme. So, just enjoy the ride and share what you've learned when you can.
Old 07-26-15, 07:57 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I can empathize with you. It happened to me once and I was not myself for a while. Hope you heal quickly and the repairs go smoothly.
Old 07-26-15, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just remember that its just a car, it can be repaired, it can be replaced. You're alive and okay and thats what matters.
Old 07-26-15, 09:10 AM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know what else to do or say. I know we all thought it was more money or a total loss. He has 30 hours labor for paint and 65 hours labor on the body work.
We shall see..
OP, please keep us posted. Again, I'm glad it's not totaled.
30 hrs labor for paint and 65 hours for body work and total repair is only $11K?
I guess labor cost in CA is much higher.....
Old 07-26-15, 09:24 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RayLS
OP, please keep us posted. Again, I'm glad it's not totaled.
30 hrs labor for paint and 65 hours for body work and total repair is only $11K?
I guess labor cost in CA is much higher.....
OP, I'm certainly no expert, but I agree that the total cost seems low. In CA, I also agree that this quote likely wouldn't include parts.

Can you take your car to a Lexus mechanic after the repair to ensure the car is completely and properly fixed, and that it drives as it should! Best of luck!
Old 07-26-15, 11:38 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Absolutely after visual inspection I will give it a 2 hour shake down cruise and if all seems ok I will bring it to Lexus for inspection.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Gbp
OP, I'm certainly no expert, but I agree that the total cost seems low. In CA, I also agree that this quote likely wouldn't include parts.

Can you take your car to a Lexus mechanic after the repair to ensure the car is completely and properly fixed, and that it drives as it should! Best of luck!
Old 07-26-15, 06:30 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope that you fully recover from the accident. I know how difficult pain can be. Little things like getting a full nights sleep can physically and mentally take it out of you. Just keep positive and life will work itself out. As for your car losing some its luster after the accident I'm sure the majority of us on CL would feel the same way.

100% agree I'm still in a lot of pain from the accident and I get frustrated with this whole process and I feel pretty down and pissed off some days. I value the sharing of knowledge here it's priceless. I lost that loving feeling I feel like my cars been violated its crazy. Thanks again for all the input I will keep you posted.
Old 08-22-15, 07:14 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Default I got my baby back from the body shop

All is well the car is back and looks great..

Last edited by Mrcoach; 08-25-15 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: My 2007 LS460L got rear ended