LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Another quick read: Lexus on top

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 07:47 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Another quick read: Lexus on top

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...fiat/23910563/
Old 02-25-15, 12:40 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahhhh! Back to where we belong. I know most brands have had their fair share of scoring high and low but it seems Lexus never scored "low" on any of these rankings. Good Job.
Old 02-25-15, 03:46 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Some interesting numbers, though, particularly MBZ and Ford.
Old 02-25-15, 03:50 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Before I got my LS I looked at a Caddy XTS and a Buick LaCrosse. The Buick almost rode smoother than the Caddy for $10k less and I saw a marked improvement..good to know they are also pretty reliable as per this study...
Old 02-25-15, 05:57 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Surprised Audi ranked that high and it's funny seeing how low Mercedes is...seeing how people that own them think they are God's gift to green earth.
Old 02-26-15, 06:50 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Surprised Audi ranked that high and it's funny seeing how low Mercedes is...seeing how people that own them think they are God's gift to green earth.
the 2014+ S-class and CLA are so unreliable, that it dragged the whole Mercedes brand down...
Old 02-26-15, 08:25 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I have to say that I was surprised also regarding the ranking of Audi.
Quick story:
So I have a colleague who has a friend that works for an Audi repair shop down in Vegas. The co-worker of mine was telling me the other day how he recently went to Vegas and cought up with his friend and went to his shop and chatted a bit. He goes on to tell his friend about a 2012 A7 that is currently for sale in our area- 50k for $42, and that he was thinking about buying it. His friend proceeds to tell him to make sure its a 3.0 and that there is at least 3 years of warranty on it. Otherwise get as far away from it as you can! And even if the car has a warranty, as soon as it begins to near the end of the warranty, to get rid of it!
He then proceeds to tell him that in general, the only way people should buy an Audi is with a warranty, because they simply make the cars to difficult to work on and they have too many electrical, 2nd-mechanical issues.
It sincerely baffles me how auto manufacturers can make a product, year after year, knowing that its problematic, but boast that it is a superior machine. How??
Moving on...
He then showed me a video of what Audi has planned in regards to their tail light system, which is a OLED expanded screen that will display the images instead of bulbs. (Look it up, its pretty cool looking!). He said that they plan on doing this for the headlights as well. So, the lighting systems on these cars will essentially be extremely high def TV's displaying images of lights.
My questions:
How long will these last especially when being used in the elements
Once they malfunction, whats that repair bill going to look like??

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-26-15 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 09:24 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Toyota/Lexus on top is something I can believe but as for everything else CR does a poor job with estimating real world ownership costs. If you intend to change cars every three years then this ranking will be somewhat relevant and the positions can change like pulling on a slot machine from one year to the next.
Long term data for build quality/reliability and ownership satisfaction will change drastically but it will fall in line with long term trends of who is really on top.
At one time Porsche ranked very high on CR and when they investigated why, it turns out that it was those that have taken pride in their ownership (fan boys) rather then actual ownership costs.
There are people who believe the high price of maintenance and repairs for German makes are completely acceptable and the norm for driving a high end automobile that keeps them in class above the rest.

Last edited by Devh; 02-26-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 09:32 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
Toyota/Lexus on top is something I can believe but as for everything else CR does a poor job with estimating real world ownership costs. If you intend to change cars every three years then this ranking will be somewhat relevant and the positions can change like pulling on a slot machine from one year to the next.
Long term data for build quality/reliability and ownership satisfaction will change drastically but it will fall in line with long term trends of who is really on top.
At one time Porsche ranked very high on CR and when they investigated why it turns out that it was those that have taken pride in their ownership (fan boys) rather then actual ownership costs.
There are people who believe the high price of maintenance and repairs for German makes are completely acceptable and the norm for driving a high end automobile that keeps them in class above the rest.
Devh, I believe that you have answered my question.
I believe while you were posting this, I was making an edit to my comment above, regarding not being able to understand the prestige behind a clearly flawed product. What you stated makes perfect sense, as that rational HAS to be why people stand behind German automobiles. I liken it to a statement you've made in the past, referencing the BMW and Mercedes establishing themselves as high end performance/luxury and are attractive to a certain demographic, and that demographic will purchase and own these cars, high cost repairs and all, to simply present that image of prestige.

Money to purchase, money to repair, money to burn!
Old 02-26-15, 09:54 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Devh, I believe that you have answered my question.
I believe while you were posting this, I was making an edit to my comment above, regarding not being able to understand the prestige behind a clearly flawed product. What you stated makes perfect sense, as that rational HAS to be why people stand behind German automobiles. I liken it to a statement you've made in the past, referencing the BMW and Mercedes establishing themselves as high end performance/luxury and are attractive to a certain demographic, and that demographic will purchase and own these cars, high cost repairs and all, to simply present that image of prestige.

Money to purchase, money to repair, money to burn!
Sadly if you drive an S class you will have all others who don't own one believing in the same scam. Some people want to aspire to have some kind of nobility or sophistication to erase their humble beginnings though their cars and therefor they become apologists for the brand because it does make them feel better then everyone else.
Old 02-26-15, 12:32 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

If Kia was #9, I have no confidence in these ratings.
Old 02-26-15, 01:20 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I have to say that I was surprised also regarding the ranking of Audi.
Quick story:
So I have a colleague who has a friend that works for an Audi repair shop down in Vegas. The co-worker of mine was telling me the other day how he recently went to Vegas and cought up with his friend and went to his shop and chatted a bit. He goes on to tell his friend about a 2012 A7 that is currently for sale in our area- 50k for $42, and that he was thinking about buying it. His friend proceeds to tell him to make sure its a 3.0 and that there is at least 3 years of warranty on it. Otherwise get as far away from it as you can! And even if the car has a warranty, as soon as it begins to near the end of the warranty, to get rid of it!
He then proceeds to tell him that in general, the only way people should buy an Audi is with a warranty, because they simply make the cars to difficult to work on and they have too many electrical, 2nd-mechanical issues.
It sincerely baffles me how auto manufacturers can make a product, year after year, knowing that its problematic, but boast that it is a superior machine. How??
Moving on...
He then showed me a video of what Audi has planned in regards to their tail light system, which is a OLED expanded screen that will display the images instead of bulbs. (Look it up, its pretty cool looking!). He said that they plan on doing this for the headlights as well. So, the lighting systems on these cars will essentially be extremely high def TV's displaying images of lights.
My questions:
How long will these last especially when being used in the elements
Once they malfunction, whats that repair bill going to look like??
I'll have to check that out. Audi is a pretty innovative company, they are also a bear to repair and all their parts are ridiculous in price. A friend of mine owns an Audi repair shop in Wilmington and he has warned me about some of their problems, but I do like their cars...I just couldn't bring myself to buy one knowing what I know about them. I do love the A8 though...and the R8.
Old 02-26-15, 01:28 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I'll have to check that out. Audi is a pretty innovative company, they are also a bear to repair and all their parts are ridiculous in price. A friend of mine owns an Audi repair shop in Wilmington and he has warned me about some of their problems, but I do like their cars...I just couldn't bring myself to buy one knowing what I know about them. I do love the A8 though...and the R8.
Double, you and me both!!!
I think the Audi's are arguably the sexiest machine on the road! I worked late last night and there was an Audi behind me. It was blowing snow like crazy and I was in my Honda with a much older headlight system, and the lights from the Audi were bright enough to light the way for both of us!
I couldn't help but adore the LED's on the headlights man. Bright, sharp, distinctive and gorgeous! But as you said...knowing what we all seem to know about those cars...especially used and nearly out of warranty...heck, even in warranty (the variable of inconvenience), its just not a choice i'd want to make. Beautiful cars though, without a question!
I would post a link to the lights, but here at work, many social outlets/websites are prohibited!

Perhaps I do it with my phone momentarily...

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-26-15 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 01:33 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Here we go...
Car Design: Audi 'Swarm' OLED Lighting
Old 02-26-15, 01:39 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 7milesout
If Kia was #9, I have no confidence in these ratings.
7, why so harsh on the Kia huh...??
I mean..they've made some great advancements right???
Some people, out of shear ignorance rate the K900 a notch below the LS!
You cant honestly tell me that you wouldn't trade your '10 LS LWB for a 2015 K900...could ya??

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-26-15 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Another quick read: Lexus on top