LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aux port in my 08

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 01:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

your ls600hl has the exec package? so there is a separate dvd player in the back right? i think that system is kind of independent from the front. hard to explain why that one is not playing any video at all

the front it sounds like a bad head unit to me, given that both aux and cd doesn't work.

the empty slots behind the nav, playing from my memory but i think that's ok. i think at least the white one is empty like you have in the picture. the nav unit is just getting graphic stuff from head unit. you are not hearing audio in cd and can't get into aux, that's basically problem of the head unit.

all plugs behind the head unit are present? if i remember correctly, on driver side there are 2 circular plugs. on passenger side, it's 2 rows of plugs, upper row should be 3 white ones. lower row should have 4?
Old 05-02-14, 02:30 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
your ls600hl has the exec package? so there is a separate dvd player in the back right? i think that system is kind of independent from the front. hard to explain why that one is not playing any video at all the front it sounds like a bad head unit to me, given that both aux and cd doesn't work. the empty slots behind the nav, playing from my memory but i think that's ok. i think at least the white one is empty like you have in the picture. the nav unit is just getting graphic stuff from head unit. you are not hearing audio in cd and can't get into aux, that's basically problem of the head unit. all plugs behind the head unit are present? if i remember correctly, on driver side there are 2 circular plugs. on passenger side, it's 2 rows of plugs, upper row should be 3 white ones. lower row should have 4?
Thanks man. I appreciate you getting back with me. The weirdest part of all of it is that I can burn from a cd (which plays but I don't get sound) and then play it through the HDD and it plays fine...

Was thinking about the Aux switch as I read on some other forums that that part is known to go bad on several Toyota's. It's about $100. To be honest all I really care about it the aux working as all my music is on my phone.
Old 05-02-14, 05:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Dx3
Thanks man. I appreciate you getting back with me. The weirdest part of all of it is that I can burn from a cd (which plays but I don't get sound) and then play it through the HDD and it plays fine...

Was thinking about the Aux switch as I read on some other forums that that part is known to go bad on several Toyota's. It's about $100. To be honest all I really care about it the aux working as all my music is on my phone.
that's one really odd situation you have there. i also read report on aux malfunction but i have not seen one in person so i don't know what it's like. it's interesting that you can rip cd to hdd and it plays fine, so that sounds like the dvd changer is reading things fine but somehow selectively not playing certain sources i am puzzled
Old 05-02-14, 08:57 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Head unit bad or not can be confirmed by completely shutting down the entertainment system in the back and tying to play cd or DVD on the NAV screen in the front. Forget completely about the system in the back. If it does not play head is bad.
Old 05-05-14, 11:22 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Head unit bad or not can be confirmed by completely shutting down the entertainment system in the back and tying to play cd or DVD on the NAV screen in the front. Forget completely about the system in the back. If it does not play head is bad.
Lexus agrees with you - they are saying a bad unit So I have 3 options:

1. Local Lexus dealership will install a new one for $900
2. Buy a used one on eBay for $650 shipped and hope for the best
3. Pull it, send it to United Radio, hope they get to it asap, and then find out how much they will charge to fix it, wait for them to fix it, then have it mailed back.

#1 sounds like the least hassle but could end up costing double what #3 might cost.
#3 would be great except I could be without a stereo for 2 weeks and they can't give me a price until they inspect it... It's not really not having a stereo, more like having a gaping hole in my center console... Decisions decisions.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-05-14, 11:43 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would go with #1, because at least you will have a warranty from the dealership.
Old 05-05-14, 12:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

personally i might opt for #1
Old 05-05-14, 03:25 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

I vote for #1
Old 05-05-14, 05:38 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I took everyone's advice and went with #1. At least this way if it doesn't fix it they can't charge me for the stereo
Old 05-05-14, 05:44 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Good luck! Get this behind you and enjoy the car, it's a blast!!!
Old 05-05-14, 06:00 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I took everyone's advice and went with #1. At least this way if it doesn't fix it they can't charge me for the stereo
Option 1 is the best one for this senecio, thanks for the follow up and bringing closure to your thread. When someone comes along with the same issue down the road they will know how things ended.
Old 05-05-14, 06:58 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Lexus agrees with you - they are saying a bad unit
Local Lexus dealership will install a new one for $900
Well, that's a lot cheaper than some of the numbers reported on here for a dealership replacement. Note that the industry standard is to supply a refurbished unit, not new.
Old 05-05-14, 07:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys. Yeah, while it may be refurbished I do get the year warranty on it which is big for me. It doesn't seem like a lot of these go bad compared to the amp so hopefully this one will last a while. Thank you again everyone for your guidance. Whenever it gets in and I get it installed I'll post up the results to verify if everything is working again.

Oh yeah, the reason why the rear wasn't working was user error! Apparently I put a blu-Ray disc in accidentally.
Old 05-06-14, 10:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

good to know that the rear is all good, so with dvd it's playing perfectly right?

fingers crossed on your head unit, do keep us posted. this is what clublexus is about, we help each other out
Old 05-07-14, 10:07 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
good to know that the rear is all good, so with dvd it's playing perfectly right? fingers crossed on your head unit, do keep us posted. this is what clublexus is about, we help each other out
Yes sir. My own fault for not putting in the right DVD. New stereo unit is supposed to arrive Mon so hopefully by next week I'll have sound again! I'll update after that happens.

Quick Reply: Aux port in my 08