LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Entering Destinations Into Your Nav Sys While In Motion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 01:27 PM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Entering Destinations Into Your Nav Sys While In Motion

I want to share some tips for using the navigation system. For those of you who have the motion-lockout bypass there's nothing new here for you. But, for those who see the nav system as just a novelty or useless system because it is not available while you are in motion this might be interesting for you.

I have been using mine the way I am about to explain for a couple of years and when I figured this out it really made the system very useful especially for trip driving.

I do understand that there are limitations however if you can point to your destination on a map then this will work very well for you. It allows the driver or passenger to enter the destination, or change the destination, while the car is in motion, requiring only a single operation that is driver unique, and then all the other operations can be done by the passenger or driver.

1. This is easier done with the map display in "North Up" mode although any display mode that works for you is okay. Most of us drive in the "Heading Up" mode. To get to the "North Up" mode you need to press the compass display in the upper left corner of the display to cause it to point up. This causes your map to be oriented in the conventional north-at-the-top sort of picture.

2. Use the "Zoom Out" soft key on the display to zoom out until you can see your desired destination or the general area of the destination on the map.

3. Touch the map at your desired destination location. A bullseye will appear on the map where you touched it and the map will recenter on the bullseye. If you didn't get it where you wanted then just touch it again.

4. Use the "Zoom In" soft key to zoom in and as you zoom in refine your destination by touching the screen to position the bullseye at your desired destination.

5. When you get your destination well defined, by putting the bullseye on it in the maximum zoom-in then toggle the "Talk" switch on the steering wheel. In response to the cue, speak "Destination." This is the only driver unique operation.

6. You will now have the option to either toggle the "Talk" switch and speak enter or use the soft key on the display to enter the destination.

7. After the destination is entered you may have some route options to choose from. If you don't make a choice then it defaults to the "Quick Route."

Try this, it really works very well. I think you will find all sorts of ways to use it. Navigating to POIs works very nicely using this technique. It is very user friendly.

If you find a need to delete a destination then just press the "Dest" hard-key along the right side of the display and then select the "Del" soft key in the upper right corner of the display.
Old 12-22-10, 01:55 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 332 Posts

Nice post, and I second that technique. I have actually done that a couple times. It can be a tad tedious, but it definitely works.

Usually the voice recognition works well for me, but occasionally either I can't speak the town name correctly or the system can't recognize my Boston accent!
Old 12-27-10, 11:54 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you jmcraney, this is very useful!
Old 12-29-10, 01:46 AM
mmorozov
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why you would want to mess with the Talk switch? Map entry works without talking on my 2007 LS. If I already pinpointed the destination location on the map, I just touch the "Enter" button on the screen (it has the red target icon on it) and it calculates the default route. I cannot chose a different route, though.