LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Cabin smell (Mold) anybody else? Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 11:38 PM
NVG DRIVER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LS460 Cabin smell (Mold) anybody else? Help

I bought this car new, it now has 26k miles all Maint are up to date. Even the wind noise problem. I had to take the car back for the door panel squeaking after they did the wind noise problem. Now, there is a mold smell coming from the A/C vents. I took the car to the dealer...they said at 26K the cabin filter has to be changed. They changed the filter and did the disinfectant treatment. Total cost $200.00. 24hrs later the smell is back, this time they have the car for 2days working on the 3rd day at the dealer.
Northern Va dealer.

Has anybody has or had this problem?
Old 10-14-09, 11:56 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer did a disinfectant treatment for free for me(I have older car than you so maybe thats why 2001 LS 430) also, the AC filters dont cost that much and I suggest you buy them yourself and install yourself. Directions to do so are in manuals. $200 seems very high for such a small problem. Sometimes the vents have issues based on the elements etc.! Its hard to expect new vent/ac smell at all times of ownership. I hope the best for you and hope they fairly and honestly resolve this issue. Shouldnt take 3 days to fix your issue sir. L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 10-14-09 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling!!!
Old 10-15-09, 08:33 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is at about 26-27,000, too, and it has a musty odor in the mornings when I first get in it. I've changed the filter and it made no difference.

But to be fair, this isn't the first car I've had that had this odor. I think it's just a build-up over time of dust and gunk in the ductwork and not a real problem. After running the car for a few minutes it clears out.

If yours is a serious problem, or if it aggravates your allergies, etc., keep after it. One tip people toss around is to thoroughly flush out the intake at the base of the windshield with a water hose. Then, with the car running and A/C on, spray a disinfectant like Lysol into the intake area until you can smell it inside the car.

Old 10-15-09, 12:47 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The ducting for any car with air conditioning is the perfect environment for the development and growth of molds and mildew. On and off cooling generates condensation and that's all that's needed. Car manufacturers now install cabin air filters and use plastics in the ductwork that inhibit mold activity, but once dust particles are introduced in there, mold growth begins in earnest. Different climates or environments will yield different results, but molds are an inescapable fact of life.

The dealer was correct to suggest a change of filter at 25K miles, however, next time buy the $16 cabin air filter on the Internet here; installation takes five minutes, and there are instructions available on this board. Another thing... during the change of seasons when the outside temperature is similar to the cabin temperature setting, there is a sudden rise in humidity in the car as the air conditioning system cycles on and off, and this gives rise to moldy odors that would not be noticeable otherwise.
Old 10-15-09, 01:32 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to disagree with everyone. Musty smell/oder comes from standing water in the a/c heat plenum chamber. It's usually caused by partially blocked drains. You know under your car you see 2 water spots about where the firewall is.

Usually a dealer will spray compressed air through all the drain lines and clear them from debris. The drain lines start from the sun roof. Now I'm not sure if Lexus uses rubber drain tubes in any part of of the system but if compressed air is used wrong it can blow off a house in the headliner/ B pillar arera....

Bring the car to another dealer, get it fixed right and call Lex corp and get your money back for that repair.
Old 10-15-09, 01:48 PM
Nospinzone

Received 408 Likes on 316 Posts

I can see the dealer charging you for the filter and installation, but to my way of thinking anything else to try to correct the problem should be covered under warranty.
Old 10-16-09, 06:57 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

I usually run on outside air as recirc will cause this.

Go to the Airsept website. They have excellent info on this problem.

I had similar problem with my sc400.

I tried about everything including filters, dealer, Lysol, air condition duct cleaner, coffee in door, etc until I used their product.

Also, my drain was partially stopped up.

Occasionally I will still have this problem(temporarily) if I don't drive for a while.

I run the heater occasionally with outside air to dry up any condensation moisture in the system.

Good luck.

Alan
Old 10-22-09, 08:22 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

SB0011-09 FEB 09 A/C - Intermittent Unpleasant Odors
Anyone have this TSB details? I have been told that it calls for replacement of the A/C Evaporator Coil Assembly
Old 10-24-09, 10:51 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2006
SB0011-09 FEB 09 A/C - Intermittent Unpleasant Odors
Anyone have this TSB details? I have been told that it calls for replacement of the A/C Evaporator Coil Assembly
L-SB0011-09 is for the GS Model

L-SB0068-09 is for the LS Model

see the attached:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0011-09.pdf (1.41 MB, 1093 views)
File Type: pdf
L-SB-0068-09 HVAC Odor.pdf (145.1 KB, 1475 views)

Last edited by jlawr; 10-24-09 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-26-09, 09:36 AM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

i just love this forum....so many helpful ideas....it's nice to know i'm not the only one having these problems on my beautiful LS...typically, i just suck it up and say i'm just too damn picky....
Old 10-26-09, 09:43 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

"Picky," "Lexus Owners" Both kinda go together, don't ya think?
Old 10-27-09, 01:48 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...iacleaner.aspx

Old 10-28-09, 12:04 AM
JodyJohn21
Driver School Candidate

A common concern for anyone that uses the a/c and drives frequent, repeated short durations (say, running errands). With the a/c firing up, then stopping after less than 10 or 15 minutes of use each time, this allows condensation to build up in the system "plumbing" and it never gets the chance to clear out, allowing mold to grow and stink up the cabin - regardless of filtration system or model or brand. Using compressed air (and disinfectant) to clear out the system usually does the trick (among other fine suggestions from all respondents), and this is a repair that should be performed under warranty for sure...$200 for the new filter was a ripoff. However if you drive for 20 min or longer during a regular commute and the a/c is regularly engaged, then it remains a mystery.
Old 04-04-18, 02:27 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

How do you use these sprays. I know at a shop I used to go to they had one made by BG which would make the smell go away for quite sometime.

Old 04-05-18, 06:38 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
How do you use these sprays. I know at a shop I used to go to they had one made by BG which would make the smell go away for quite sometime.
BG Frigi Clean is a Foaming Cleaner that gets sprayed into the cabin filter area duct box and the foam cleans the evap...... BG Frigi Fresh is a Spray that gets sprayed into the AC intake area and it kills bacteria/mold and makes everything smell fresh.... It does NOT clean the buildup in the ductwork and evap.
BG products are "professional use" and pricey but they work well on severe build ups........ You can buyer them on Flea Bay.
There are other similar products made by other manufacturers that do the same thing and can be purchased at lower prices that work well if you have "minor" issues and do a regular seasonal maintenance.

Quick Reply: LS460 Cabin smell (Mold) anybody else? Help