LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Radiator Leak. No radiators available

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 10:51 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Leak. No radiators available

My LS 460 was brought in for an air conditioner filter (turned out that they did not reset the switch when they replaced it 1500 miles ago), and for the fuel line replacement campaign. While performing this work, they found a radiator leak, and wanted to repace the radiator under warranty. However, I was told that there are no radiators for this vehicle in all of North America, and in fact, I was told that it would be two weeks just to know when the part might be available. Anyone else experienced this level of service recently?
Old 03-29-09, 12:06 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It'll probably come in sooner than you think. They only give you what's on the screen at the time. Parts from Japan can actually arrive pretty fast via air express. The only reason I can think they haven't kept any stock at Lexus Corp. is yours probably is the first one that has failed; I'm sure there are loads of other parts on this car that would be in this predicament if they were needed in a hurry. I guess I'm a realist. This car is still fairly new, low volume and has a fairly high Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) overall.

Last edited by Johnny; 05-27-09 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-29-09, 01:02 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

Thanks for the encouraging words. I had not run into this issue before. Most parts are availabe in the US in 24 hours at most. 2 weeks seems to suggest a shortage of the part itself, not just a shipment away. The service guy told me that there were 65 on order throughout the US. I just don't know how many exist out there.
Old 03-31-09, 07:54 PM
kafkla
Driver School Candidate

Took my 2007 LS460 SWB (17,000 miles) in for fuel line recall work today, was told by service manager they discovered a radiator leak during the course of taking care of the fuel line. Radiator is on order, expected in tomorrow. Just one more problem for the worst quality Lexus of the 6 I've owned (including 4 LS's) since purchasing my first LS 18 years ago.
Old 03-31-09, 10:33 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

I do not disagree with you. Seems Lexus is tireing of the expectations they have raised. They did find a radiator for me and my car was ready today, only 5 days after I tfirst took it in, not two weeks, which was a pleasant surprise. However, after driving 2 miles, 4 warning lights came on. Returned to the dealer just as they were closing. I called their operator and informed her that I had just picked the car up and it malfunctioned; she insisted that I call lexus roadside service, even though I was in their driveway! I banged on their gate near the service area, and a very accomidating assistant service manager let me come into the service area through a back alley, and put the diagnostic unit on the car. He then opened the hood, found an unconnected connector, reset the warning system and all was well from that point on. They had just left a wire harness unconnected after replacing the radiator. One that controls a value regulating how much fuel vapor is vented from the tank back to the engine, or something to that effect. I don't think they test drove it, or they would have discovered the problem themselves, but since the assistant manager accomidated me after official hours, I was satisfied. Only a few seconds from having to leave my car in their driveway and find my own way home. Burnaby was correct about the part coming sooner than expected.

Last edited by woppenhe; 03-31-09 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 12:38 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those of you that had radiators replaced, did you have any antifreeze odors coming from under the hood? My car smells of antifreeze... I took it to the dealer this morning and they are telling me that they did a pressure test and everything is fine. They do not see a leak anywhere. How could it be possible? What else could it be?
Old 05-27-09, 10:59 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dimapb
Those of you that had radiators replaced, did you have any antifreeze odors coming from under the hood? My car smells of antifreeze... I took it to the dealer this morning and they are telling me that they did a pressure test and everything is fine. They do not see a leak anywhere. How could it be possible? What else could it be?
Perhaps some antifreeze was spilled when filling the radiator and the liquid is "trapped" under the car. Have the dealer jack it up and check the car's under panels.
Old 05-29-09, 02:03 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I've also had the anti freeze smell since day one. I'm taking mine in 6/10 for the fuel rail recall and I've spoken to the shop foreman about the problem. He's going to check for a leak when he does the recall. He's checked for a leak once before, but found nothing. I'm sure there is a small leak somewhere in the system.

Craig
Old 05-29-09, 04:43 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I've also had the anti freeze smell since day one. I'm taking mine in 6/10 for the fuel rail recall and I've spoken to the shop foreman about the problem. He's going to check for a leak when he does the recall. He's checked for a leak once before, but found nothing. I'm sure there is a small leak somewhere in the system.

Craig
Keep us posted please.
Old 05-30-09, 02:37 PM
Craig B

Keep us posted please.
Will do...

Craig
Old 06-14-09, 06:00 PM
Craig B

I had the fuel rail recall done. They were not able to find an anti freeze leak. I have had the anti freeze smell since I took delivery. The tank is full and they checked for leaks again. Nothing found. I'm having my dash replaced next week. It has a white powder look to it and it's been that way since I took delivery. Cleaning it does nothing, just comes back. My dash is black...

Craig