LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What extra fees / charges should (an shouldn't) be included at purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-08, 10:36 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts
Default What extra fees / charges should (an shouldn't) be included at purchase

It's been over 10 years since I bought my last vehicle and I am about to pull the trigger again for a new LS (09). Just wondering what other fees / charges will be added to the bill (Besides the negotiated price of the vehicle + sales tax + title fee + registration fee). I've been hearing lots of other craps that are BS from the dealer trying to get as much as they can through other 'fees'. Are all states the same? I'm in California if that makes a difference. thx all. and Happy Holidays.

-Z
Old 12-21-08, 02:22 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There's the $1000 PDI (pre-delivery & inspection) fee for one. That's for peeling the plastic off the body panels and interior surfaces, and checking the fluid levels, as if they didn't do that at the factory (about an hour's work).
Old 12-21-08, 09:22 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope Burnaby is joking with that one. ^ I wouldn't sit still for a minute for a PDI fee of a dollar, much less a thousand!

What you need to watch for are charges for things like undercoating, paint sealant, upholstery/leather treatments, pinstriping, etc., etc. They are all bogus for the most part, and if you stand your ground almost all dealers will drop them. If they DON'T drop these charges, it's time to go to another dealer.

Also, if you're leasing, most dealers charge some kind of origination fee (which might have another name), which can range from a couple hundred to $500 or more. These charges also make me crazy, and I've been successful in getting them dropped in most cases as well. You can't always succeed here, since they'll tell you the charge goes to Lexus and they have no control over it, but I still think it's crap. It's nothing more than another chance for instant profit.

You need to negotiate on a single out-the-door price only, and not be scammed by last-minute add-on charges. If the out-the-door price is acceptable to you, I guess it doesn't matter of they've buried something else in it. But the tactic is often to get you to finally give in and accept a price, then say, "Oh, yeah, there's a standard $600 fee for stretching your headliner and verifying the thread count in your carpet." or some other silly nonsense. Just don't buy it.

Happy hunting.

Old 12-21-08, 10:03 AM
terrain
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z - what you listed is pretty much all that you will have to pay in CA (N or S). I did not find anyone in NCAL that was charging any 'fees'. I would not worry too much about it - make your deal and when you see the bottom line figures you will be able to easily spot those that you do not choose to pay for. It's as simple as saying "NO" and they will either remove/reduce the fee - or you will walk. Double this since you are looking at an 09 (Guess you really love passenger side memory :-)
Old 12-21-08, 11:11 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I hope Burnaby is joking with that one.
Actually, PDIs (aka Freight & Delivery) are pretty standard in Canada. Negotiating them out of the price depends on the popularity of the make, or how new the model is. Lexus has a better chance of charging it than say, Chrysler. I see Lexus charges $825 stateside.

Last edited by Johnny; 12-21-08 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-21-08, 12:12 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Actually, PDIs (aka Freight & Delivery) are pretty standard in Canada. Negotiating them out of the price depends on the popularity of the make, or how new the model is. Lexus has a better chance of charging it than say, Chrysler. I see Lexus charges $825 stateside.
Okay, if you're talking about destination charges, the answer is yes, but you specifically referred to "prep", i.e., getting the car ready for the buyer at the dealership. Freight - or destination - charges are for shipping the car from the mfg plant to the dealer, and that's legit.

Old 12-21-08, 04:51 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a BMW dealer quote $300.00 for a get ready fee. I said get ready for what and I went to another dealer and ordered my car. Some also had a higher doc/title app. fee.
You will have to pay freight, but not a PDI fee...

Craig
Old 12-21-08, 10:36 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Destination" and any kind of BS PDI fee are two totally different things.
Old 12-22-08, 08:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
There's the $1000 PDI (pre-delivery & inspection) fee for one.
I think it's quite a bit higher than that for Lexus Canada