LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My LS460 MPG Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 01:09 PM
jjtotten
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
Can someone help me understand why gas prices are going through the roof? I can understand an increase in prices but the increase has been dramatic that it doesn't make sense. Is it that supply is being artificially capped? There are more cars on the road than there were two years ago but I don't think that this is the reason. I just don't understand this.
One of the reasons the prices continue to increase is the fact that our dollar is worth less because the current administration continues to print billions of dollars of money with no gold backing any longer. As money is added to the economy the worth of each dollar shrinks. If we go back to the early 30s our dollar is worth about 22 cents. With the price of crude based on the dollar almost world wide the price has to go up as the dollar decreases in worth. Look at the cars we purchase now, granted they have lots of bells and whistles that they did not have previously but many of them now cost what a house used to cost. It is all funny money controlled by what ever administration has the power of the purse strings. At least that is the feeling that I have about it. Of course supply and demand also has an effect on the price. We have not had a new refinery built in many years as the demand has increased greatly.
Old 10-14-14, 01:31 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I used Shell v-power and contented with my mpg.
Old 12-05-15, 08:11 PM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Resurrecting a old thread here:

6 Pages and I don't think I saw any mention of the actual Octane Requirement. Keeping in mind that what is Regular here in the States may be Mid or premium in another country like the UK, Europe or South America and Canada. Shouldn't it be a discussion of Lexus calling for "Octane Rating 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher"?

My point is the RON number is the most important part as all these different geographic areas have different ideas what constitutes "Premium".
Old 06-22-16, 11:34 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm new here..
Hello all..
I thought I may chime in here. As a "X" factory trained mechanic, take my advice.
If the vehicle states "Premium Fuel only" well, then that's what the engine was designed and TUNED for, the timing and compression is raised for performance. The "Knock" and "Ping" that some refer to may seem innocuous and most often we cannot hear or recognize the frequency of these Knocks and Pings, but these are essentially untimely shocks or explosions within the engine. These untimely shocks resonate throughout the engine and in fact the actual sound is masked by the shear density of the engine. The stress this places on the engine (just for a short period) is devastating to bearings, crank, pistons, rings, valves etc.. Yes there are ping sensors that will retard the timing, but this is essentially to get you home in order to correct the octane issue and not to be driven for an extended period of time.