LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking About Letting My LS460 Go

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
Someone has to buy those Caddy's - help GM pay for all their mistakes in dealing with the UAW - 16% of the gross cost of a GM vehicle goes toward supporting half of Michigan's elderly and retired auto workers. Combine that with some of the highest downtime ratios in the car world, and you are supporting a charity with every GM purchase.
lol - GM's problems are well known and mostly self-inflicted of course, but nevertheless, they are where they are, and I'm impressed by how they're trying, finally, to straighten out the mess. I've driven many Cadillacs, and have been impressed for the most part. I was unimpressed with some models a few years back, like the original STS which had press metal seams you could see when looking at the car in profile. That's completely inexcusable in a 'flagship'. But things continue to improve greatly. The new CTS for example, is a GREAT car for the money.

Toyota/Lexus on the other hand, has been hurt by exchange rate differences, which is certainly not their fault, but in response there's no question that they have dramatically CHEAPENED the materials they're using in many newer models, and they're obviously having some quality control issues all over the place. But I've no doubt T/L will get this straightened out too.

No company's perfect.

Mallory - I don't blame you being frustrated and upset. The new LS is a wonderful car but many Lexus models and other brands of course have suffered the 'first year' blues.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-15-07, 04:11 AM
Mallory H.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been in the Cadillac DTS Perforance Package for a little over a week and I do not regret trading the LS460 at all. I am surprised at how well the DTS handles for it's size. I went over to the Wind Noise sight and see the issue is still hot and heavy, it is my understanding that Lexus is working on yet a scond TSIB for this issue.
IMO the DTS is a lot closer to the LS430 than the LS460 is to the LS430 but that is IMO.
This is what I miss about the LS460:
ML Surround, only because of the 19 Speakers
Push Button Start
Not having the emergency brake paddle
Push Button Fuel Door Release
Opening the door by just walking up and pulling the handle.
This is what I like about the DTS:
Remote Start
Heated Washer Fluid
Compass on mirrior as well as Navg
Turn Signal on Mirrors
Push and release turn signal, will operated for about 4
sec after release.
Comfort of seats front and rear,plenty of leg room
Auto high beam on and dimming
Bose set up allows you preset favorite AM,FM, or SAT Stations as any six of the preset stations, it can be a combination up to 36 Example 1 AM 1070 2 FM 506.7 3 AM 1070 4 SAT 67 5 FM 104.5 6 SAT 54 etc......
Glove BOX...........
NO AIR TURBULANCE ABNORMAL WIND NOISE......
Interior Materials
Ride Comfort

IMO:
Style-LS460
Ride Comfort-DTS
Performance & Handling-LS460
Material Quality-DTS
Paint-DTS
Gas Milage-LS460
Instrumentation Layout-DTS
Cabin Space-DTS
Cabin Quietness-LS460
Trunk Space-DTS
NORMAL WIND NOISE- By design the LS460 is quieter at high speeds than the DTS but the DTS
has no wind noise at the side windows and there is no roar of wind due to air turbulance as with the LS460.
Practical Features (Things you really use) DTS
Value-DTS
Since I have the DTS Performance package I get a little firmer ride but it is not as firm as the LS460 but the regular DTS has the cush ride,if I were to drop down to 17"wheel I would have the same but I prefer a little more road feel.

Which is the better car? "Beauty Is Only In The Eyes Of The Beholder"

Last edited by Mallory H.; 09-15-07 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 05:27 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for that review. I guess I need to test-drive the DTS and check it out. I'm pretty discouraged with the direction Lexus is going.
Old 09-17-07, 03:42 PM
gatorcb
Driver

Did you hear the thud...that's Mallory's DTS resale value hitting the floor after Cadillac just announced the death of the DTS and STS
Old 09-17-07, 06:48 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mallory...Thanks for taking the time for the write up comparison.

I'm listing and liking.......
Old 09-18-07, 05:41 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Also thanks Mallory. Very interesting.

Probably the main thing is that “no car is forever.” Many of us trade every
year or two. When two years are up, I’ll be trading my 08 MB E350. I will
definitely consider Lexus again - as well as MB, Cadillac and maybe others.

I like this forum because I want to stay updated .. as I will always be a
prospect.

One thing certain, I will NEVER buy another MB unless they have the very
latest Nav! (I LOVE using Nav mapping.) Currently the pathetic MB Nav is
12-15 years behind Lexus and all others. I was so disgusted with it that
last week I bought a Garmin 680 and put it on the dash!

It is GREAT! Touch screen, easy entering, great color, great detail,
weather, traffic, gas prices, shopping and takes you right to the spot.
Exactly what I’d like in my BIG Nav.

But, isn’t it crazy that a MB owner has to buy a portable Nav to stick on
the dash!? (Even tho it is easy to see there and fun to watch.)

Bottom line: I really appreciate hearing all the goods AND bads about
ALL the cars I like.

Big Jimm
Old 09-18-07, 05:53 AM
TexLex470
Driver School Candidate

So you traded a 460 for a freakin grandpa DTS? WOW This is the most hilarious thing i've heard.

I'm getting the impression you couldnt afford the new LS to begin with, and since you are in love, apparently, with 10 year old platforms you should have just gone all the way down to a Grand Marquis. And im guessing you have an Edwards 08 sticker already stuck to that big ugly plastic chrome laden bumper.

Its good you wend to Cadillac though, they need the money, and I'm sure Lexus was tried of dealing with you. Some people, with nothing better to do, will complain about every nit picking thing. As a huge family of Lexus owners (starting in 89) we have never had a SINGLE problem with any of them.. NOT A ONE. (es250s,300s,330s,gs400s,430s,ls400s,430s, 2 new 460l, lx470s,gx470s and last but not least an sc430)

update: i consulted my dad about this is an he said once a lexus dealer in San Antonio replaced a windshield poorly. After calling and raising hell they sent a flatbed 400 miles down to the Rio Grande Valley to pick it up (while dropping off a brand new version of their car to drive). Lexus of San Antonio has been very good to us.

Last edited by TexLex470; 09-18-07 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 05:56 AM
TexLex470
Driver School Candidate

"the LS460 is going to be the fall of Lexus if they do not make some quick moves"

and that is just nuts dude.

lets see sales have been up over 150%

humm....

tell it to Hillary

Just mho

Last edited by TexLex470; 09-18-07 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 09:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TexLex470
So you traded a 460 for a freakin grandpa DTS? WOW This is the most hilarious thing i've heard.

I'm getting the impression you couldnt afford the new LS to begin with, and since you are in love, apparently, with 10 year old platforms you should have just gone all the way down to a Grand Marquis. And im guessing you have an Edwards 08 sticker already stuck to that big ugly plastic chrome laden bumper.

Its good you wend to Cadillac though, they need the money, and I'm sure Lexus was tried of dealing with you. Some people, with nothing better to do, will complain about every nit picking thing. As a huge family of Lexus owners (starting in 89) we have never had a SINGLE problem with any of them.. NOT A ONE. (es250s,300s,330s,gs400s,430s,ls400s,430s, 2 new 460l, lx470s,gx470s and last but not least an sc430)

update: i consulted my dad about this is an he said once a lexus dealer in San Antonio replaced a windshield poorly. After calling and raising hell they sent a flatbed 400 miles down to the Rio Grande Valley to pick it up (while dropping off a brand new version of their car to drive). Lexus of San Antonio has been very good to us.
please be nice to other members. everyone has their choices. if you don't agree, you can either ignore it or be constructive about it. your comments are not welcome
Old 09-18-07, 10:17 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
please be nice to other members. everyone has their
choices. if you don't agree, you can either ignore it or
be constructive about it.
Romini is right.

Rude and insulting posts take the joy out of a forum, for
everyone.

And, the fear of receiving such replies often keeps some
very nice folks - who have good thoughts - from posting.

Big Jimm

Last edited by Big Jimm; 09-18-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 10:44 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree, keep it to yourself.

Craig
Old 09-18-07, 12:11 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, but I've read the forums everyday for the past few months. I've found it to be a mixed blessing.

First, Mallory...I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with your Lexus. However, it sounds like you've fixed your problem. Good luck. Enjoy the Caddy.

Second, I think these message boards can have a real psychological effect on people that read them. I'll give you an example...I purchased a fully loaded LS460 SWB at the end of June. From day one, the car has been OUTSTANDING! I don't mean good, I don't mean really nice, I mean OUTSTANDING!

However, I found these message boards about 3 weeks after I purchased the car and began reading the posts about wind noise. Guess what, after reading the same few people posting over and over and over about the wind noise, I started thinking I could hear it myself. Every time I would get in the car, I'd turn down the radio and listen intently for any hint of wind noise around the driver and passenger side windows. I successfully picked out the noise and could feel dissapointment set in. After this, nearly ever day I would come to these message boards and go straight to the "wind noise" thread to see if any new TSIB's had been issued, what VIN numbers could be involved..etc.,. It all served as a vicious cycle.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving my wife's RX350 and I thought I would see if her car had the same wind noise problem. I turned down the radio and listened intently and guess what...I heard the sound! It was very difficult to pick out over the MUCH louder road noise and engine noise seeping into the cabin, but it was EXACTLY the same noise I was hearing in my LS. At that moment, I realized what I had allowed to happen. I had allowed this message board to plant something in my mind that festered into mild dissatisfaction with what is arguably one of the best automobiles in the world. After that, I have not fixated or worried about it again and I'm back to enjoying all of the WONDERFUL characteristics of this fine automobile.

Please understand, I'm not trying to belittle or cast doubts on some of the negative experiences some of you may have had with the LS460. I'm just here to say that I believe "group think" CAN have an effect on you if you allow yourself to get sucked into the nit picking cycle.

I know that everyone has different tastes and preferences, and I respect that. But, I personally could NEVER equate the Cadillac DTS with the level of excellence I've found in the LS460. To me, it's not even close. A previous poster was not really very tactful in the way they said it, but I think the DTS does really compare more directly to the Grand Marquis than the LS460.

That said, I do appreciate everyone's input on this board and hope ultimately that all of us end up happy about whatever we end up driving.

Now, gotta head back to my office and enjoy the trip in the LS
Old 09-18-07, 12:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

welcome to clublexus stoks!!!! glad to see that another lurker signed on and posted his comments. very very nice post imho and i think it does hit some good points about how psychologically the wind noise could affect us

up till this date i still have yet to hear "real" (in quote since that's my reference point) wind noise in the ls460. all i hear are acceptable normal turbulence. but for sure since every other part of the car has been so quiet, this noise is magnified relatively.

and of course, i have never test driven any ls460 swb, so i really can't comment on that
Old 09-18-07, 12:43 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I wasn't quite as affected as Stoks, but when I picked up my car on July 2nd, I took it onto the highway because after reading posts here I was so concerned about the wind noise. Thankfully there was absolutely none (and there is still none). If I hadn't read this board I would never have even been thinking about it.

However, a little apprehension like that pales in contrast to all the good stuff I learn and the fun that I have here!
Old 09-18-07, 01:02 PM
garyr
Pole Position

The wind noise is bad enough to effect Lexus to came up with a repair. I've asked and asked if you don't hear anything than please don't comment in this thread. What is it with some of you that drives you to comment on things that does not effect you. Not all LS's are built the same and not all peoples hearing are the same. Stokes I hope your not a Lemming.

Fact: This is the loudest luxury car I've every owned to the point I can't stand it.

I'm glad other owners are not experiencing it. The next person to have a problem I'm not experiencing I be sure to post and call you negative. I'm really offended...

Quick Reply: Thinking About Letting My LS460 Go