LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Temperature display

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 02:05 AM
mmorozov
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Temperature display

I noticed that my LS460 displays outside temperature both in the trip computer display next to the speedometer and in the climate control display. Seems like an overkill. I'd rather see a different parameter on the trip computer display, like current MPG. Is it possible to change the top portion of the trip computer to display something else besides the temperature?
Old 08-08-07, 03:52 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Hit the display key on the right side of the steering wheel, it should toggle through mpg, avg speed, tire pressures & off as well.
Old 08-08-07, 10:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup you should be able to easily change that to others

hehe, manual time
Old 08-08-07, 11:40 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of the temp guage. When I pull out of my air conditioned garage the temp guage will not move. It takes about 2 hours for the car to sit outside before the outside temp will read correctly. I have never had a car do that, always within 5-10 mins it read correctly. Lex is aware but they are doing nothing other than telling me it's normal.

What I'm thinking is it may be hooked up to other sensors and giving them a false reading. You would think so when you set the cabin HVAC on auto.
Old 08-08-07, 12:25 PM
mmorozov
Driver

Oh, come on. You insult my intelligence

I know I can cycle through parameters using the DISP button. However, it only changes the bottom reading on the display. The top reading is always outside temperature. Which is also duplicated on the climate display. What I want is change the top reading to "Current MPG" and have a different parameter in the bottom section.
Old 08-09-07, 01:14 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorozov
Oh, come on. You insult my intelligence

I know I can cycle through parameters using the DISP button. However, it only changes the bottom reading on the display. The top reading is always outside temperature. Which is also duplicated on the climate display. What I want is change the top reading to "Current MPG" and have a different parameter in the bottom section.
I don't think they understood your question, and the blind ended up leading the blind. Sorry guys! No, there is no way to change that center temp display to something else, and yes it is duplicative indeed. I'm just glad the numbers match...
Old 08-09-07, 06:44 PM
asolare
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garyr
Speaking of the temp guage. When I pull out of my air conditioned garage the temp guage will not move. It takes about 2 hours for the car to sit outside before the outside temp will read correctly. I have never had a car do that, always within 5-10 mins it read correctly. Lex is aware but they are doing nothing other than telling me it's normal.

What I'm thinking is it may be hooked up to other sensors and giving them a false reading. You would think so when you set the cabin HVAC on auto.

That is normal - for a Lexus. I have a 2004 LS and a 2007 SC and the temperature indicators in both cars display the outside temperature correctly only after very long delays like you describe. And when I've tried to get that fixed I too was told "that's normal". Actually, that's ridiculous. Why should any thermometer take that long to give you a reading and how worthless is one that does?
Old 08-09-07, 07:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

while i agree this is quite a silly setup (take so long to change temperature reading), i am curious though, how does that affect you? i mean, the climate control is detecting and adjusting the temperature within the car, on all my lexus i never have problem with the climate control

again, just curious
Old 08-09-07, 10:22 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Acura has the same response time, and while I cannot say for certain, other competitors are probably similar. Temperature sensors, analog or electronic, and whether used in automotive or other applications are housed in a protective enclosure and the lag time they experience are a function of the surrounding metals/plastics not coming up to the ambient temperature until the whole housing does. They're not like lab instruments that react and readout "instantaneously", and why should they?
Old 08-10-07, 05:28 AM
Teach
Driver School Candidate

My 2000 Cadillac DTS and 2002 Miata both have outside temperature gauges that must be "lab intruments". They start changing almost immediately after pulling out of my garage.
Also, on another topic...just about all the parameters that you have to have a Lexus dealer adjust one time for "free" to "personalize" your settings are self adjustable on the Caddy. I will miss those features when I get my 2008 LS.
Old 08-10-07, 06:11 AM
ikey78
Driver

When you use the radar cruise control, the temp display in the speedometer area disappears to make room for the cruise control info. In that situation I find it useful to have a second temp display. Not sure if this is the same in the cars with only non-radar cruise.
Old 08-10-07, 07:45 AM
asolare
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
while i agree this is quite a silly setup (take so long to change temperature reading), i am curious though, how does that affect you? i mean, the climate control is detecting and adjusting the temperature within the car, on all my lexus i never have problem with the climate control

again, just curious
You live in California so perhaps this might not affect you, but living in New Jersey, when driving in the winter it is certainly important to know if the temperature is above or below freezing so you know if the puddle in front of you might be starting to freeze. To know that an hour or so after you start driving is a little less valuable information, wouldn't you agree?

We're not talking about rocket science here. Please give me an example of any thermometer of any type anywhere that takes that long to make a reading.

I'm sure glad the Lexus engineers weren't the ones who designed rectal thermometers. An hour would seem a long time to wait...
Old 08-10-07, 07:50 AM
asolare
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Acura has the same response time, and while I cannot say for certain, other competitors are probably similar. Temperature sensors, analog or electronic, and whether used in automotive or other applications are housed in a protective enclosure and the lag time they experience are a function of the surrounding metals/plastics not coming up to the ambient temperature until the whole housing does. They're not like lab instruments that react and readout "instantaneously", and why should they?
I have owned many Mercedes and BMW models as well as a Honda Accord over the years and all gave instantaneous temperature readings.

What is really weird about the Lexus thermometer is that once it takes an hellacious time to get the initial accurate reading, it then becomes quite responsive. After it has "warmed up" for an hour or so I've seen it show a slight drop in temperature while driving on a bridge over water and then rise again soon after reaching the land.
Old 08-10-07, 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by asolare
You live in California so perhaps this might not affect you, but living in New Jersey, when driving in the winter it is certainly important to know if the temperature is above or below freezing so you know if the puddle in front of you might be starting to freeze. To know that an hour or so after you start driving is a little less valuable information, wouldn't you agree?

We're not talking about rocket science here. Please give me an example of any thermometer of any type anywhere that takes that long to make a reading.

I'm sure glad the Lexus engineers weren't the ones who designed rectal thermometers. An hour would seem a long time to wait...
ah gotcha, good point there. yeah, i guess in that case being in ca doesn't make much of a difference