LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Electric Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 10:30 PM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric Power Steering

Within the past two years, many cars have moved to incorperating electric power steering. Most reviews have criticized the unnatural feel of electric steering. Although, I have heard less criticism about the steering in the LS460. Why does electric assist feel more artificial than hydraulic assist?
Old 10-02-06, 10:45 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, I think the most "neutral" feeling electric assist is the BMW 3 series and the most artificial would be my Prius. I liken the Prius' electric assist to my Logitech Driving Force Pro GT4 steering wheel lol.

I think it might have to do with an electric motor giving assist rather than a hydraulic pump. Also, it depends how quickly the motors wants to react to a quick left-right slalom.
Old 10-03-06, 05:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gandro
Within the past two years, many cars have moved to incorperating electric power steering. Most reviews have criticized the unnatural feel of electric steering. Although, I have heard less criticism about the steering in the LS460. Why does electric assist feel more artificial than hydraulic assist?
it is not just assist, in EPS you really dont have real connection to the wheels... it is simulated. New cars are doing it much better than before.

My Prius feels pretty artificial, and it has updated EPS, previous versions were even more so... Small European cars with EPS are even worse (Clio comes to mind)... however newer systems like on rav4 are much better, so I expect new LS to have pretty nice feel.
Old 10-03-06, 09:10 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Err, I'm fairly certain they're connected to the wheels. Don't confuse EPS with steer-by-wire.
Old 10-04-06, 05:51 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default At the base of the collapsible steering column is...

geared engagement with the steering rack. The electric motor on the rack can add immediate power assist at low speeds for rapid movement and at high speeds gives less help. EPS is necessary for any hybrid as the hydraulic assist would not be available when the gas engine was off. I have found the EPS to be faster and smoother when going through a tight turning course and it doesn't stutter from any fluid cavitation. The inertia in a Lexus steering system is less whether it is fluid or electric when compared to its Euro counterparts. This is by design and why parking is not a chore in a Lexus. EPS is also necessary for any Lexus that has VDIM. In addition to controlling the ABS, TRAC, VSC, EBD and BA it can steer the car up to 2 degrees to maintain stability. Lastly EPS is needed for the advanced parking guidance system which will be featured in the LS460L which really makes parking a new experience!

On the LS460L's touring package which will come later there will be VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering) This adds a unit in the steering column that accelerates the movement of the steering rack when turning at slow speeds and retards it when going at fast speeds. This is used in the GS430 and GS450h models and also the LX470.

Rock
Old 10-04-06, 11:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Err, I'm fairly certain they're connected to the wheels. Don't confuse EPS with steer-by-wire.
kind of - in most cases, you wont feel the connection between the wheels and steering wheel, hence "lack of feel", because most power (and a lot more than with hydraulic) is given by EPS.... in new EPS systems they do use some belts to simulate connection better.

i got to check latest info on how lastgen EPS works in Toyota to get better idea though...

Benefits are less power drain, so more power, less consumption, better durability and advanced features (connection with VDIM/VSC, parking, variable assist, etc)...
Old 10-04-06, 04:58 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rockville
geared engagement with the steering rack. The electric motor on the rack can add immediate power assist at low speeds for rapid movement and at high speeds gives less help. EPS is necessary for any hybrid as the hydraulic assist would not be available when the gas engine was off. I have found the EPS to be faster and smoother when going through a tight turning course and it doesn't stutter from any fluid cavitation. The inertia in a Lexus steering system is less whether it is fluid or electric when compared to its Euro counterparts. This is by design and why parking is not a chore in a Lexus. EPS is also necessary for any Lexus that has VDIM. In addition to controlling the ABS, TRAC, VSC, EBD and BA it can steer the car up to 2 degrees to maintain stability. Lastly EPS is needed for the advanced parking guidance system which will be featured in the LS460L which really makes parking a new experience!

On the LS460L's touring package which will come later there will be VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering) This adds a unit in the steering column that accelerates the movement of the steering rack when turning at slow speeds and retards it when going at fast speeds. This is used in the GS430 and GS450h models and also the LX470.

Rock
I gotta figure out what's the difference between the LS' APGS (Advanced Parking Guidance System) and the Prius' IPA (Intelligent Parking Assist).

spwolf, lemme know the results of the findings.
Old 10-05-06, 05:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I gotta figure out what's the difference between the LS' APGS (Advanced Parking Guidance System) and the Prius' IPA (Intelligent Parking Assist).

spwolf, lemme know the results of the findings.
i think Lexus's is just more advanced version....

will do... My prius definetly doesnt feel like there is any connection anywhere :-))))))))). Which is actually good, if I go over bad roads... Then I think something is wrong with my Rav4 when I can feel the rocks on the road :-).
Old 10-06-06, 05:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Well the cabbies love it cause it's less stressful and tiring. Seriously, it feels like my Driving Force Pro steering wheel. It has the same sound too.