LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

07 LS460 Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 10:21 AM
roblex07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 LS460 Control Arm Bushings

Hello Guys! I am new to the forum. I have a 2007 LS460 base without the air suspension. I recently noticed the ride quality has been horrible and I can feel and here everything. I took the car in and low and behold the Lexus dealer said there is "significant play" on the control arm bushings and the cost to replace all the arms for a whopping $5k!! I was wondering if I replaced the bushings with a press or paid a shop, would that most likely fix the issue? I was told that the arms on these do not go bad, only the bushing which is what need to be replaced. I also saw a couple of people who changed the bushings with great results. Any suggestions?
Old 03-11-17, 11:35 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

First order of business is to say hello, and welcome to CL.
Secondly, I would attempt to past some links, but I'm on my phone.
There are many in here that may do so (post a few links), but I have to say, that I advise you to use the search utility I'm the upper right hand area of the home page.
This subject matter has been diligently discussed in enormous detail a plethora of times over the years and there are some threads with excellent information in them.
My primary reason for saying this, is so that the same things aren't repeatedly stated and unnecessarily congest the forum.
If the search utility does not yield the results you seek, the by all means feel free to ask additional questions, as many of us, including myself, are more than open to assist when and where we can.
​​​​​​​Happy searching!
Old 03-11-17, 02:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

As Crowe stated, this is a repair that can be done for a fraction of that amount you were quoted (control arms). I just did my ENTIRE front end (8 control arms and shocks/struts) for 1500 dollars inc parts labor and taxes with aftermarket parts. Replacing just a couple of the CA's would be even cheaper.

And welcome! You've become a member of a forum that has many helpful folks. Let us know how things progress and don't hesitate to ask for more help and advice if needed!
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (05-31-17)
Old 03-11-17, 06:30 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If you know of a competent independent shop that can do this, then by all means buy the complete arms or just the bushings and have then do it. Just be sure beforehand that they are capable of doing this (ie have done it on an LS before).
Old 03-12-17, 07:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

As Keith stated, you could just do the bushings. You may find however, that for marginally more money, you can just replace the arms which already have the bushings in place. The thing is, the arms have to come out anyway, and then the labor to press out the old bushings and then press in the new ones, vs, just exchanging the control arms. It works out to be only a fraction more to replace the arms entirely. In my case, I sourced my parts from Rock Auto - 550 dollars or so for all eight front control arms and end links. Labor was 900 dollars, but that included replacing the front struts and a wheel alignment, taxes etc.
Old 03-12-17, 12:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes, unless you have the equipment to change just the bushings yourself, the cost of the labor doesn't make this any more cost effective than buying the whole control arms. This is one repair you do not want the dealer to do.
Old 03-12-17, 02:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Yes, unless you have the equipment to change just the bushings yourself, the cost of the labor doesn't make this any more cost effective than buying the whole control arms. This is one repair you do not want the dealer to do.
The other thing to consider is if the ball joints are bad. Even with decent tools, they are a biotch to replace. Even a well-equipped shop is challenged with getting them out. That labor charge I quoted above also included replacing the ball joints, so it really is worth leaving to the pros.
Old 03-12-17, 02:17 PM
roblex07
Driver School Candidate

WOW thanks a lot guys!!!

I found a complete control arm kit for $500

https://www.1aauto.com/2007--lexus-l...tm_content=SFK

The shop wants $600 for labor. I may go that route instead of just changing the bushings.
Old 03-12-17, 02:18 PM
roblex07
Driver School Candidate

I also found some bushings for $77 for 10

I am going to make sure these are not poly. I heard they are to rough and the ride will not be a lexus like
Old 03-12-17, 03:00 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by roblex07
WOW thanks a lot guys!!!

I found a complete control arm kit for $500

The shop wants $600 for labor. I may go that route instead of just changing the bushings.
Normally we charge a 20% commission, but since you are new to CL we will waive the fee this time.

And welcome to Club Lexus, don't be a stranger!
Old 03-12-17, 03:59 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Both of the links you provided are for the bushings. Can you re-post the link to the arms?
Old 03-12-17, 04:23 PM
roblex07
Driver School Candidate

Default Updated control arm kit link

Sorry guys, here is the link

http://m.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2007/Lexus/LS460/Control_Arm_Kit/93-80485_K4.html

let me know what u think? They have great reviews and use rubber bushings and the warranty is just like Lexus
Old 03-13-17, 08:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by roblex07
Sorry guys, here is the link

http://m.buyautoparts.com/buynow/200...-80485_K4.html

let me know what u think? They have great reviews and use rubber bushings and the warranty is just like Lexus
Rock Auto is slightly cheaper at $482. Plus, they're warranty is lifetime. They also use known manufacturers like Moog, MAS, Mevotech, etc. That said, I wouldn't have a problem with the source you provided as well. But for about the same price, I'd go Rockauto, as they are a reputed company with great reviews. I was very happy with them.
Old 03-13-17, 06:12 PM
Wy807
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Rock Auto is slightly cheaper at $482. Plus, they're warranty is lifetime. They also use known manufacturers like Moog, MAS, Mevotech, etc. That said, I wouldn't have a problem with the source you provided as well. But for about the same price, I'd go Rockauto, as they are a reputed company with great reviews. I was very happy with them.
Hi Roadfrog,
can you attach the link for the control arm set you purchased from Rockauto?

thanks!
Old 03-13-17, 07:23 PM
tcarroll2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to dive into this project on my 07 LS460 as well. I see where I can buy all eight of the MAS control arms for $485 and change from Rock Auto. I'm planning to do this myself. I live near a military base that has an Auto Hobby shop with a car lift and all the non-specialty tools (I'm retired military) that would be specific to Lexus.

Do I need any Lexus specialty tools or additional parts to pull this off?
Is it necessary to change the shocks/struts at the same time?
Any pitfalls to watch for when doing this kind of work?
Will I need a wheel alignment afterwards? (I'm assuming yes, but thought I'd ask)

Thanks for your advice!

Tom

Quick Reply: 07 LS460 Control Arm Bushings