LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Who uses their rear cooler box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 06:11 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile Who uses their rear cooler box?

So the L I am getting has the luxury package with the massage function as well as the cooler box. Most likely wont ever use the massage and or cooler box. Has anyone taken their coolerbox out so they can use the pass through or to increase the trunk capacity? I imagine I am loosing a couple cubic feet with the addition of the cooler box.

Thanks!
Greg
Old 03-01-17, 06:59 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by GHARP57
So the L I am getting has the luxury package with the massage function as well as the cooler box. Most likely wont ever use the massage and or cooler box. Has anyone taken their coolerbox out so they can use the pass through or to increase the trunk capacity? I imagine I am loosing a couple cubic feet with the addition of the cooler box.

Thanks!
Greg

Hi Greg, if you don't plan to use either UltraLux feature, you could have bought a car lacking these features for less. The rear seat recliners and massagers get used in my car every time my kids ride in the back (once a week), and especially on long trips (about once a month). We hardly use the cool box. It uses rear AC to blow cold air on the contents, so it's not a refrigerator.

It's an interesting mod to contemplate. Note that the cool box doesn't protrude into the trunk like in the S-class, so it's not clear to me how you will recover any trunk space by removing the cool box. I think the trunk space is lost due to the rear AC components behind the rear seats.
Old 03-01-17, 07:10 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought about purchasing a non cooler box vehicle. My biggest criteria was an L model that had the tan interior. At the time it was the only one out there that was in my price range and it was Blue (I was wanting blue or white so it checked my criteria off for the most part). Seeing now that it is not a self contained unit and ties into the AC lines, I am sure it will stay and never be removed. I do not have children yet but my son is due at any moment now. Maybe I will see the value of the cooler box more when he is older and we are on road trips as you have outlined from your experience. I have only driven a non L model that didnt have the cooler box so I was not sure how bulky it was like I had seen in the S class photos posted here recently in another thread. I do appreciate your input very much AC. I know my Toyota's very well but I am learning daily on Lexus!

Greg
Old 03-01-17, 10:16 AM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi,

Just my .02 cents worth:

Mine came with the fridge and I always keep 2-3 bottles of water in case we run out on trips that are usually 2 hrs long. I have never had a "pass thru" on any vehicle so don't miss it.

This is a nice convenience and a good "look at what this car has" feature.

Hope you enjoy your Lexus.

Have a nice day.

Cubby
The following users liked this post:
GHARP57 (03-01-17)
Old 03-01-17, 03:40 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

The cooler box is not a fridge. The rear AC blows cool air into the compartment when a small sliding door is opened. Under normal operation, cold drinks can hold their temperature in the cool box but not make something cold.
Old 03-01-17, 05:36 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I've used the cool box a lot in my LS430. It can cool something from room temperature down in an hour or two. I once drove from Scottsdale to San Diego and put some sodas in warm and pulled over to pull one out a couple hours in and it was cold cold. It's also a great feature if you have to take clients around, or family on long drives.
Old 03-01-17, 06:27 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aypues
I've used the cool box a lot in my LS430. It can cool something from room temperature down in an hour or two. I once drove from Scottsdale to San Diego and put some sodas in warm and pulled over to pull one out a couple hours in and it was cold cold. It's also a great feature if you have to take clients around, or family on long drives.
Thanks, aypues, I stand corrected. We seldom use the cool box because there is usually a back pack or other junk clogging up the center console, making it hard to retrieve stuff from the cool box. We usually just put an ice cooler in the trunk.
Old 03-01-17, 06:42 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

I would guess there has never been anything in our cool box as nobody ever or rarely ever rides in the rear seats and thus I never have the rear AC on.

Dennis