LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

60k Service, replacement door panel, and extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 04:37 PM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 60k Service, replacement door panel, and extended warranty

Hello all. Just wanted to share my recent experiences. I have a 2008 LS with 62k. After reading a number of posts here, I initially decided to do a majority of the 60k service myself. Let me tell you why I changed my mind. While dealing with Lexus corporate over my deteriorating door panels, I was informed that dealer service history was one of the big factors they look at when deciding to offer assistance. They gave me an $1,8xx credit for my doors and I was able to replace my drivers door panel for free. (pics below)

My total bill for the 60k service was $825.67. This was after I requested a discount. I received a call from my service consultant that my water pump was leaking and 2-year-old battery was failing. Luckily, both were replaced under warranty. The water pump was covered under my extended warranty, and battery was covered under manufacturer warranty. Bit of relief there. Is 60k a little premature for a water pump replacement?

What I am most happy about is that the blinking has stopped! I did a Q45 headlight projector retrofit a few years ago and my check afs light would constantly blink. I also had a permanent check afs on my gauge cluster. The tech charged me .5 to investigate, but he unplugged the afs ecu and the lights went away.

Overall, more than I wanted to spend, but I would not have known about the water pump if I did the work myself. Happy camper here.

Old door panel. You can see where it completely wore through by the latch

Beautiful new panel!

Thanks all!
Old 02-21-17, 04:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Is 60k a little premature for a water pump replacement?
Nope. Mine went out at exactly that. This is common. I bought a replacement for 50 bucks with a lifetime warranty and replaced it myself in about 90 minutes. The good thing about our water pumps - though not unique to Lexus, are that these pumps will give you warning of failure LOOOONG before it actually fails. This is due to the weephole at the 11 o clock (approx) position of the pump. As the pump wears, it gets to the point where the weephole starts to leak, even thought the pump is still doing it's job and will do until you get around to changing it.
The following 3 users liked this post by roadfrog:
CRowe14 (02-21-17), cschmatz (02-21-17), PMIRO2 (02-21-17)
Old 02-21-17, 07:29 PM
PMIRO2
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info roadfrog!
Old 02-21-17, 08:47 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

The '08 I just picked up had the water pump replaced at 50k (in 2012).
Old 02-22-17, 04:30 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

So in other words, unless you're getting your car repaired and serviced at the dealer, Lexus won't stand by their product for a recall? Anyone else experiencing this with the door panels? I know the panels are very expensive, still it's disheartening to think that Lexus won't replace them unless you're spending your money at the dealer. So someone like me...who is absolutely **** about vehicle maintenance and repairs will get turned down for the door panels because I don't take my car to the dealer for $125 oil changes?

And your door panels looks great! I can't believe how filthy your old panel was, how did you get it that dirty? I have the same color combination and I too can't seem to get mine clean anymore, but wow, it's not as bad as that. Yikes.
Old 02-22-17, 05:37 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Those are bad. Glad mine are stitched leather and not that material.. No issues like that at all. Just the top black part can become a little tacky.
Old 02-22-17, 08:57 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
So in other words, unless you're getting your car repaired and serviced at the dealer, Lexus won't stand by their product for a recall?
Not inherently. The whole service at the dealer thing just makes it easier for them to keep track of and prove what's been done to the car. You can definitely do your own maintenance just keep all receipts and stuff as evidence. Even take a few pictures just to be safe. Typically they can't just deny any warranty work because you did maintenance by yourself but it does give them the chance to argue that you didn't do something "right" if they ever feel like it - they do have to prove it though.
Old 02-22-17, 09:09 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

but it does give them the chance to argue that you didn't do something "right" if they ever feel like it - they do have to prove it though.
Welllllll...........do they? I know the Magnusson Moss Act is there to protect you. But let's be realistic and look at the REAL scenario that will play out:

them: "Mr. Bloggins, we can't cover your issue under warranty, because you didn't use a Lexus part or a Lexus tech to do your muffler bearings,

you: "But that's not true. Have you not heard of the Magnusson Moss Act?"

Them: "Uhhhhh sort of, no not really, but regardless, we can't cover your muffler bearings".

You: "But the Magnusson Moss Act says that you can't deny my warranty until you prove that the Ebay muffler I bought was the cause of the muffler bearings failing!!"

Them: "Sorry but we require payment of 150 dollars for checking your car out. Here's the number for Lexus Corporate. Will that be cash or credit?"

Then....six months later after threatening legal action, their lawyers calling your lawyer, MAYBE they relent.
Old 02-22-17, 09:33 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Welllllll...........do they? I know the Magnusson Moss Act is there to protect you. But let's be realistic and look at the REAL scenario that will play out:

them: "Mr. Bloggins, we can't cover your issue under warranty, because you didn't use a Lexus part or a Lexus tech to do your muffler bearings,

you: "But that's not true. Have you not heard of the Magnusson Moss Act?"

Them: "Uhhhhh sort of, no not really, but regardless, we can't cover your muffler bearings".

You: "But the Magnusson Moss Act says that you can't deny my warranty until you prove that the Ebay muffler I bought was the cause of the muffler bearings failing!!"

Them: "Sorry but we require payment of 150 dollars for checking your car out. Here's the number for Lexus Corporate. Will that be cash or credit?"

Then....six months later after threatening legal action, their lawyers calling your lawyer, MAYBE they relent.
It would probably go a bit more different than that. It all depends on your dealer and your relationship with them. If you're a loyal customer, they'll usually go to bat for you. Sometimes if things don't quite go your way they'll also work with you to either split costs or something.
One example was a local TT-RS owner who had his engine go boom after a tune (stage 2 I if I remember correctly which also includes some new hardware). Turns out a screw had gotten loose somehow and made it's way into a cylinder damaging the whole engine. Audi wanted low 20's to get it replaced. They worked it out to split costs - I believe it was a 1/3. Obviously each situation is different but that doesn't mean things can't turn out semi in your favor. This is why I have my car dealer maintained so I don't have to deal with that.
Old 02-22-17, 10:57 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enoch861
It would probably go a bit more different than that. It all depends on your dealer and your relationship with them. If you're a loyal customer, they'll usually go to bat for you. Sometimes if things don't quite go your way they'll also work with you to either split costs or something.
One example was a local TT-RS owner who had his engine go boom after a tune (stage 2 I if I remember correctly which also includes some new hardware). Turns out a screw had gotten loose somehow and made it's way into a cylinder damaging the whole engine. Audi wanted low 20's to get it replaced. They worked it out to split costs - I believe it was a 1/3. Obviously each situation is different but that doesn't mean things can't turn out semi in your favor. This is why I have my car dealer maintained so I don't have to deal with that.
My response was more tongue in cheek than anything, but with an element of truth thrown in. Fact is, scenarios can play out like this because of people who say "I know my rights!". You may be in your right, but that doesn't mean the person behind the desk will cooperate. And that puts the onus on you to go through the hassles to come to a satisfactory conclusion. This was a fairly common issue back in the day when I was a member of the Dieselstop truck forum. Guys were installing tuners on their trucks (Banks, Evolution, Bullydog etc), and when getting any service/warranty work were presented with these scenarios, despite the MMA.
Old 02-22-17, 11:33 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, this isn't a warranty, the 2008 LS wasn't included in the 2007 sticky door and dash "warranty enhancement". It was a "goodwill". They didn't "goodwill" my 2007 doors because they said my VIN wasn't part of the enhancement. Sounds like bullsh_t to me - I've been a Lexus owner for 25 years. Serviced at the dealership and they just told me "too bad". Not impressed with their arbitrary customer "service" and "goodwill".
Old 02-22-17, 11:44 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

what happened to the ls quality control post ls430?
Old 02-22-17, 01:05 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

What's the material of the new door panel? Hopefully not the same crap they used on the original panels.
Old 02-22-17, 04:36 PM
stkgator
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My door arm-rest looks very similar - sticky, scuffed, and cracked! No amount of cleaning will remove the black scuff marks without further damaging the surface. I can't wait for them to be replaced. The dashboard and center console have already been replaced.

FWIW: my '07 was not included in the Extended Warranty (was not in the date range), but Lexus/dealership offered to cover it as a "goodwill" gesture!

The current part number for the drivers-side door panel (67620-50711-A0) replaces two earlier part numbers (67620-50640-A0, 67620-50641-A0) - so I assume (hope) its a new formulation for the vinyl portions of the arm-rest?

Drivers-side door

Last edited by stkgator; 02-23-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 08:03 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Wait, isn't that section that's turning black typically leather? I didn't know they make non leather versions.

Quick Reply: 60k Service, replacement door panel, and extended warranty