LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

FNG need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 11:06 PM
DBLAGNTE65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FNG need help

Be prepared a lot of questions. So I just registered for clublexus.com. Currently I own a 2008 BMW 750li and have had a wonderful time with that car. I bought it used and I'm almost done paying off the loan. I plan on keeping it as long as I can and plan on buying another used luxury boat. I have done A LOT of research before I bought the car and did a ton of preventative maintenance through an Indi shop that I absolutely trust. Car runs SMOOTH. Which is kind of rare for BMW 7er's knock on wood. Engine runs great and I love the car. I have had an eye on the LS 460 as it is beautiful and has a lot to offer. I've had my share fair of experience with my 7er and I can tell you that car can have you turning grey hair in about one minute. What preventive maintenance needs to be done at certain miles? Friends and family said stay away from the 750. But it's all in preventive maintenance and I was fine. I plan on buying an LS in the near future and I know nothing about Lexus's and know everything about BMW. I sort of know about the arm control bushings? Or something with the air suspension? Do I stay away from the 2007 year model? I'm sure the engine and transmission are bullet proof right? Everything else attached to it just needs to be replaced after a while? I've read Lexus is absolutely more reliable and less on maintenance than my 7er. Is that true? What about after 100,000 miles? I'm sure I'll have less headaches with an LS. I can't wait to hop into an LS. My 7er needs a friend. Thanks
Old 01-27-17, 08:56 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Yes, I'd stay away from the '07 (first model year). They're not terrible but lots of little niggling things (melting door panels, wind noise etc), and some major things (control arms, brake actuators, etc). Buy the latest model you can afford and you won't regret it.
Old 01-27-17, 09:14 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Although the 460 is extremely reliable and a fine automobile to drive. I would also suggest buying the latest model. When buying a ('07) ten years old vehicle you can expect some problems and issues. Void the ones with extremely mileage.
Old 01-27-17, 09:18 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Makes me wonder what we will say someday about the 2018 LS500.

I love my 07 .
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (04-21-17)
Old 01-27-17, 10:48 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The LS have proven itself as a reliable, comfortable, dependable, durable and well built automobile and the LS500 will be no exception.
Old 01-27-17, 11:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Makes me wonder what we will say someday about the 2018 LS500.

I love my 07 .
Ditto. 135k miles on my 08. Water pump, mufflers and a couple of control arms are the only issues I've had. well under a grand to repair. Hands down, the most reliable car I've ever owned.
Old 01-27-17, 01:56 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Ditto. 135k miles on my 08. Water pump, mufflers and a couple of control arms are the only issues I've had. well under a grand to repair. Hands down, the most reliable car I've ever owned.
Well, a non-mechanically inclined owner could have paid the dealer $5,000+ for those repairs.
Old 01-27-17, 02:41 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome. I have an 08 and I can't say enough wonderful things about my car. Before you do anything, go out and test drive an 07-09 and then a 10-12. There are some improvements starting in 2010. See if you even like the ride. Take a look at the creature features and make sure you find one with the Mark Levinson sound. If you haven't already, sign up the the Lexus Owner site and then you can punch in a vin to get a decent snapshot of the history. Not everything may be listed, but any work done by Lexus will be there. Good luck.
Old 01-27-17, 05:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, a non-mechanically inclined owner could have paid the dealer $5,000+ for those repairs.
That is true at a dealer. I did not do the mufflers myself...450 bucks at an exhaust shop. The water pump I could have had done by an indy (couple hours labor plus the 55 dollar pump...so 250 bucks?). The control arms? Yes...pricier, but I got ALL the arms (not just the two I needed), for 500. My indy would likely charge a few hundred there. So maybe 1500-2k dollars
Old 01-28-17, 09:06 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I have an 07 with 145,000 miles, I've replaced a wheel bearing, some control arms and a blower motor. At the same mileage point in my Honda Accord I replaced half the car.

My 07 LS460 has not only been the most reliable car I've owned, but the most reliable car I've ever seen. I run a good sized repair facility...I see maybe 40-50 cars/car repairs a day...the LS460 is an automotive achievement compared to what I'm used to seeing. I normally see...timing chain problems, misfires, fuel pumps, suspension issues, brakes, oil consumption, AC leaks, check engine lights up the wazoo, electrical nightmares....I have seen none of that on my LS. In fact when I bring it in for service, the techs always run over and point out things that they can't believe Lexus went through the trouble of designing into the car. It's always...look at this...look what they did here...wow they even thought of this...this is a serious automobile.
Old 01-29-17, 06:42 PM
DBLAGNTE65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all that replied. Makes me excited as I've heard many great things about the LS series. Coming from you guys and hearing that they are reliable is music to my ears. Sounds like a great car I can't wait to get one.
Old 02-06-17, 10:30 PM
Spartan8
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd get a 2012 if you can. That was the model year that the control arm issues went away as I understand it. It's an irritant to be driving one of the finest luxury sedans manufactured only to have a bone jarring ride. I just replaced the control arms in my '10 AWD and from the looks of the arms that were in it previously, they were replacements. So with 100K on my LS, the control arms have been replaced at least 2, and more likely 3 times. Disappointing and the worst of it is that even when you replace them, you know you'll be doing it again. Especially if you live in an area where the roads are less than ideal.
Old 02-07-17, 02:11 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

While I respect those who urge to stay away from the 2007's, I think it to be an overreaction. Control arms affect all pre late 2010's (or perhaps as late as 2012), many 2007's had the wind issue fixed by either new side windows or other fixes, and going back how many 2007's have had melting panels? And the brake actuator likewise is not a 2007 specific issue as it went on until at least 2010.

Mine is black/black and has either been in North Carolina or Tennessee since new and there is has been no issue. Moreover, should it happen, it is covered under an extended campaign and I believe the melting panels affected early builds which might explain why mine which is a late build 2007 (3/2017) might not have ever needed to be touched.

The need to replace control arms sucks. That said, the price can be made much lower by going to an indy and if wanting to go even cheaper there are aftermarket fixes that knocks it down within a very reasonable range.
Old 02-07-17, 02:20 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

And even the melting interior seems to affect certain 2009's:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-ls-460-a.html
The melting dashboard is covered until May 2017 supplemented with a secondary warranty.

If you look back on this forum, it is actually better to get a 2007 in regards to melting interior parts as only 2007's are covered and if you search there are numerous post 2007's that have had the same issues.

That leaves it down to wind noise being the only 2007 specific issue and beyond the fact that many have had dual pane side windows installed, there are other fixes. FWIW, mine exhibits no wind noise and does not have new side windows.
Old 02-07-17, 11:07 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Disappointing and the worst of it is that even when you replace them, you know you'll be doing it again. Especially if you live in an area where the roads are less than ideal.
That's not exactly true. If you replace the arms now, you will likely have the upgraded bushings used in the later LS's. That said, it's still too early to tell if the upgraded arms are failure- free, IMHO.

Quick Reply: FNG need help