LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-16, 08:17 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I have a 2007 LS 460. I recently had to replace my windshield. After the windshield place finished installing the windshield, the rain sensor did not work, the intermittent windshield wiper did not work, and finally the memory seat quit working too. Could this be a blown fuse that controls these systems or does anyone have any idea what to do to fix these?

Thanks

Jarm
Old 06-06-16, 06:42 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

A fuse is the first place I would check. Look at your manual and find where the fuse/s for those functions are located.

Failing that, I would bring it back to the place that replaced the windshield. They apparently fowled up some connection.
Old 06-06-16, 07:43 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I also think fuses are the best place to start, specifically because of the memory seat issue and the intermittent function problem.

Interestingly, FWIW, the rain sensor problem had historically been an issue with non-OEM replacement glass. This dates back several years (used to be reported quite a bit in my original "home", the GX470 forum), so presumably it has been resolved. At any rate, if this was your only issue, I'd say glass, but there's clearly something else going on.
Old 06-06-16, 08:21 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same issue once. Ended being the dude not reconnecting it properly, which took him a few minutes
Old 06-06-16, 06:04 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Memory seat problem solved. I read on this forum how you can move the seat all the forward and backward. This will reset the memory function. But I still have the intermittent wiper problem. I looked in the owner manual and there is only one fuse controlling the wipers. So If the wipers are moving in the slow and fast mode, there would not be a fuse problem. Is this correct or is there another fuse that I can't find?

Jarm
Old 06-06-16, 06:05 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Caha14 do you remember how the problem was fixed on the non-OEM replacement glass?
Old 06-07-16, 07:08 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I always wondered how the sensor worked. I assumed it was something that "looked" at or "felt" the glass as opposed to something in the glass itself.

I would guess that the contact between the rain sensor and new windshield wasn't done properly. Maybe there's a gap or just they didn't know how to properly assemble it and reattach it assuming it's pretty delicate and sensitive.

I would ask Lexus to reinstall or remount the existing rain sensor (properly of course) before going back to the windshield company. May cost a lot more but at least it will be done right.
Old 06-07-16, 07:14 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by jarm
Caha14 do you remember how the problem was fixed on the non-OEM replacement glass?
In all cases (if memory serves me right), folks had to go back and request OEM (Lexus-stamped) glass. Again, I'm guessing that nowadays there is probably non-OEM glass with the proper optical characteristics, etc., but that doesn't guarantee that this is what you got.

Of course, there are other variables like installation. The fact that the intermittent function doesn't work pushes me toward others' thoughts about a loose connection, etc.
Old 06-07-16, 07:26 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I assumed that because you had several issues, that it was a fuse. However, you clearly have two issues going on. One solved and the other not. So it clearly is related to the windshield.

There are three windshields available for your vehicle, one of which has the rain sensor. built in and the other with the windshield wiper de-icer located at the bottom of the windscreen. The rain sensor is at the top near the rear view mirror. Ensure that the installer uses the correct one.

The other issue lies with whether they used acoustic glass. If it's Lexus branded, then it will be and in most cases, so will aftermarket. However, ensure that they used acoustic glass in your application.
Old 06-07-16, 12:08 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I always wondered how the sensor worked. I assumed it was something that "looked" at or "felt" the glass as opposed to something in the glass itself.

I would guess that the contact between the rain sensor and new windshield wasn't done properly. Maybe there's a gap or just they didn't know how to properly assemble it and reattach it assuming it's pretty delicate and sensitive.

I would ask Lexus to reinstall or remount the existing rain sensor (properly of course) before going back to the windshield company. May cost a lot more but at least it will be done right.
I came across the answer to how the rain sensor works on another site
https://www.quora.com/Where-is-the-L...w-does-it-work.

It is very likely that improper installation of the windshield/sensor or not using the sensor tape is the cause of the problem. Here's an image of the sensor mechanism from that site.

Old 06-07-16, 03:25 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice thanks. Now I know. It bounces infrared beams, which water reflects.

I, too believe they probably didn't reinstall it properly. Any infrared leakage, blockage or sensors not picking up the signal due to misalignment would likely cause issues.
Old 06-07-16, 04:21 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I, too believe they probably didn't reinstall it properly. Any infrared leakage, blockage or sensors not picking up the signal due to misalignment would likely cause issues.
Or, as I mentioned earlier, it could be the wrong quality glass or the wrong style, as roadfrog pointed out.

In any case, I took a quick trip down CL memory lane and found this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post2337439

There are more throughout, but this one's a good read, especially given the TSIB that explains away... There are (or used to be) tinting and other considerations with non-OEM glass.

Last edited by caha14; 06-07-16 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 07:55 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Well I took it back to the installer. As soon as I got there, the tech that installed the windshield told me that the sensor did not stick correctly. He removed the old double sided tape and installed the sensor with a gel. After he reinstalled the sensor with a gel, it worked like a champ. They used a water sprayer to make sure that sensor worked properly. Worked great.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

jarm
Old 06-07-16, 10:50 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Great and a simply solution to your problem.
Old 04-29-23, 11:18 AM
jscottn
8th Gear

Default 2014 ls460 swb

I have owned this 2014 for about 1 year and the intermittent wipers never worked. Today I was looking into it and discovered that if the car is not moving then the intermittent function works perfectly in all of the different settings. As soon as you start rolling it stops and does nothing. All of the other wiper settings work properly. Very strange.