LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is this removeable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 12:22 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Is this removeable?

I know, I know, this is minor, but it's an eye sore none the less for me.
As many of you may have guessed, the mark is from the cup holder door being open all of the time, and resting on the wood shifter cap/cover.
I've tried to wipe it lightly with a mf towel and water, and its goes away a bit, but not all the way, and I don't wish to rub with anything too abrasive as I don't wish to mare the surface
Perhaps It wont go away completely, but I figured I'd ask.
I'm also going to post this in the detail area of the forum.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit:
Now that I'm sitting in the car, I opened the door and immediately noticed that the door, when in the open position, does NOT go all the way back as I had assumed it did, so therefore it's not from the holder being open all the time.
The only way this could/would occur, is from the door being knocked into the shifter/cap cover causing light impact/small scratches.
It must be from the previous owner as I am quite care regarding how I place and remove water bottles.
Attached Thumbnails Is this removeable?-imag1837.jpg  

Last edited by CRowe14; 10-12-15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 12:40 PM
Superes350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always use something like scratch-x, which is only mildly abrasive. That being said, I am unsure what UV protection is on the wood grain and if there is any, how thick it is. Every time you use a polish, it removes a small portion of the coating.
Old 10-12-15, 12:59 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Superes350
You could always use something like scratch-x, which is only mildly abrasive. That being said, I am unsure what UV protection is on the wood grain and if there is any, how thick it is. Every time you use a polish, it removes a small portion of the coating.
Thanks, as I'll have to look into that.
It would have to be very, very mild, because this coating is very sensitive to scratches.
I'm almost inclined to believe that the product can't possess any cutting agent/particulate agent at all.
It would strictly have to be a polish that would act similar to a wax, containing a fill-in property, then buffed off.
Old 10-12-15, 01:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I can't tell by the pic, but is this a deposit left on the wood? Or ??

I'd try a wood polish like Old English with a MF towel. Goo Gone, 303, etc.

Here's a link that might help you: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...TktwgvWPKPNhSw
Old 10-12-15, 01:59 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I can't tell by the pic, but is this a deposit left on the wood? Or ??

I'd try a wood polish like Old English with a MF towel. Goo Gone, 303, etc.

Here's a link that might help you: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...TktwgvWPKPNhSw
Yeah, I know, not the greatest photo...sorry.
Theres a faint line there.
Its from the previous owner occasionally knocking the cup holder door into the shifter cover when the cup holder door is open.
Its been there for a while, but I just felt like whenever I really wanted to put for a little effort, I could get it to go away.
While cleaning it over the weekend, I really tried to get it gone, and nothing quite worked.
So before I used an agent, I figured I'd ask actual LS owners before I did something that may not be correctable.
Upon a closer look, they look like small scratches.
I will look at the link you provided, as I think the products you recommended would work pretty well, but im not sure all of it will come off, as some of the marking are small scratches.
Not a huge deal honestly, but I'd like to see if I can remove the markings.
Old 10-12-15, 02:44 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a clear coat on the wood. If you're somewhat skilled, you can polish it out. Or have a professional do it.
Old 10-12-15, 03:07 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I would recommend that you go to the Automotive Care & Detailing forum and post your question. There are some top detailing experts, such as Zach (zmcgovern4), who can give you the best advice.

I'm always bothering Zach with noob questions!
Old 10-12-15, 09:39 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the same thing on my '08. I was able to polish some of it out with the Novus plastic polish but was afraid to go further for fear of damaging the acrylic.

You can also try regular automotive wax; this has the double effect of polishing and filling. I have some Klasse all in one; I might try that next.
Old 10-13-15, 08:14 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Nospinzone:
I've seen your name over there quite a bit, as Zack is remarkable!
I couldn't help but comment on that Acura either-its stunning!

Jainla:
Thanks for the recommendation! Much appreciated

As well as everyone else sharing their opinion and ideas.

Just FYI:
This is what Zack McGovern over in the Detail and Car Care area of the forum had to say.
If any of you aren't familiar with him, he is a very highly knowledgeable guy regarding interior/exterior car care and has his own business in the like.
Great guy and will answer ANY question you have.

"Looks removable... I would start with a light polish such as Meguiar's M205 on a foam applicator. If that isn't strong enough, try the polish on a MF towel, then consider a cutting compound if needed. Use light pressure when rubbing at first, and get more aggressive only as needed. Interior trim is typically quite soft."
Old 10-13-15, 08:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

"Looks removable... I would start with a light polish such as Meguiar's M205 on a foam applicator. If that isn't strong enough, try the polish on a MF towel, then consider a cutting compound if needed. Use light pressure when rubbing at first, and get more aggressive only as needed. Interior trim is typically quite soft."
Sounds similar in procedure to the Youtube link I provided you. Sounds like you'll have no problem sorting it out. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-13-15, 08:56 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Sounds similar in procedure to the Youtube link I provided you. Sounds like you'll have no problem sorting it out. Let us know how it goes.
Ahh...I actually had every intention of watching the link but got sidetracked!
Its often easy for me to forget, as while im at work, pretty much anything social media related is blocked.
I'll take a look during lunch.
I'll definitely update (with pics) how it turns out!
Thanks!
EDIT: Oh yeah RF, I sent you a PM!