LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buy 460 with Air Suspension or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 12:43 PM
greddy09sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy 460 with Air Suspension or not?

I'm buying a use 07 - 10 LS 460 or 460L this month. Not sure yet, depends if the price is right.

I've been reading here for about 6 months now to do some research. Many have post changing out air suspension.

My wife test drove both and she likes the one with air suspension. Problem is I've read that it can go out and cost @$1500 each to replace = $6000 for suspension replacement. Not sure if it's worth it.

What mileage does these air suspension generally go out? This can help me factor buying one with x amount of miles on it.

To make sure:
LS 460 L AWD = Air Suspension
LS 460 Sport = Air Suspsension

Should I bite the bullet and get AS?

Any suggestion much appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-14, 01:20 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Remember, folks posting about air suspension issues usually did searching on the internet to lead them to clublexus.com to talk about. Most techs will tell you the overwhelming majority of air equipped LS's never have an issue. With a car of this level, I recommend getting one under warranty or eligible for 3rd party warranty that covers air suspension. There are some out there that do. There are plenty of other parts that cost major $$ to warrant getting a warranty anyway, IMHO.

Yes, some air struts can go bad..it happens, but don't feed into all the hype. Not to say it can't happen, but the odds are in your favor you will be just fine. I would buy another air equipped LS with no reservations...then again, I know I'll have it repaired under warranty haha
Old 03-17-14, 02:03 PM
JoniNguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would recommend them. They are fairly reliable - the shocks will wear eventually but so do the normal spring and shock combo. The main difference between as and regular is that the spring is now replaced with the air bag. Much smoother ride. you can always find a used pair if your's go out for fairly cheap.
Old 03-17-14, 02:23 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely want to go the way of AS, you'll be happy with the investment for the adjust-ability and especially if you take the car away from your wife one day and put a controller on it to drop it down a notch!
Old 03-17-14, 03:31 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by peteybabes
put a controller on it to drop it down a notch!
One of the main reasons I dropped my old 460 for my 600 lol..drrrooooppppp
Old 03-17-14, 04:09 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is true, i became scared as hell when reading in there about AS issues, i know there are some, but when i google the subject, not the majority have them. I'm picking up this week me LS460L 2010 and yes, the rear AS have been replaced under warranty before 85K miles.... I'm buying a CPO car and yes, i do feel for the future buyers about this issues.
Old 03-18-14, 12:10 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Most that are replying to this thread know how I feel about air suspension I went with a non air car and went with an after market air suspension kit. But i did it with the intent of slamming the car parked.
Old 03-18-14, 03:00 AM
ManXP
Driver

Buy with air suspension. If you were buying a cheap car (that has air as an option), getting one without AS would be fine. However, buying 460 without AS is the same as going to an expensive restaurant and ordering one cheapest meal. It's simply strange...
Old 03-18-14, 04:15 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by lbintab
Most that are replying to this thread know how I feel about air suspension I went with a non air car and went with an after market air suspension kit. But i did it with the intent of slamming the car parked.
This example here would be the only reason I wouldn't get A/S if I had the same goal...LB had a plan from day one and saved some headaches to easily swap to aftermarket air. His setup is pretty dope. If you don't plan on doing this mod, get air suspension
Old 03-18-14, 10:51 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
This example here would be the only reason I wouldn't get A/S if I had the same goal...LB had a plan from day one and saved some headaches to easily swap to aftermarket air. His setup is pretty dope. If you don't plan on doing this mod, get air suspension
+1... I'm doing the same. Went to coilovers first and now putting in aftmkt air setup
Old 03-18-14, 10:51 AM
greddy09sc
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for all your response. I'm not planning to slam my car, however that would be nice. But, don't want to shell out any more money than what I"m going to be paying.

You have helped me out in determining what to buy. I'm going for AS. I'll post my car as soon as I get it. Thanks again guys!
Old 03-18-14, 10:53 AM
greddy09sc
Driver School Candidate

Just to confirm, the following have AS right? everything else is non-AS:

Also, there's a button by middle console (armrest) to lower and raise car. If the button is there than you have AS? I read this on a post here but want to confirm.
Old 03-18-14, 12:48 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by greddy09sc
Just to confirm, the following have AS right? everything else is non-AS:

Also, there's a button by middle console (armrest) to lower and raise car. If the button is there than you have AS? I read this on a post here but want to confirm.
Please review the air suspension 101 thread in thr FAQ thread. There is no oem button to raise or lower car. Only the height high button to raise it all the way up..press again and its back to normal..will not lower
Old 03-20-14, 05:37 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the cost between each suspension air vs non air, in wonder ?
Old 03-20-14, 06:35 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Please review the air suspension 101 thread in thr FAQ thread. There is no oem button to raise or lower car. Only the height high button to raise it all the way up..press again and its back to normal..will not lower
The 'High Height' button AKA monster truck feature. Lol!

Quick Reply: Buy 460 with Air Suspension or not?